Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Trying out tubes with the 70-200

Martin Good
• • • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Trying out tubes with the 70-200

5 images

Last time I used my extension tubes I found it very difficult to get a good focus so I decided to try them out again on the 70-200. I found the best way was to manually focus with the zoom till the subject came into good or near focus and then press the focus button to lock it in. The weather was not so cooperative with the wind blowing the flowers and little fellas around quite a bit and I was shooting hand held so I took a good number to get these ones. All taken with 35mm tube and 70-200 2.8 Mk II.

C&C most welcome and thanks for looking.
Martin

© Martin Good 2012

Bee on blue flower

© Martin Good 2012

Yellow daisy type flower

© Martin Good 2012

White buttterfly on purple flower

© Martin Good 2012

Color mostly on this Banana flower centre

Aug 28, 2012 at 03:35 PM
Martin Good
• • • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Trying out tubes with the 70-200

And one not with tubes of a Greenfinch taking a drink of water at the stream.

© Martin Good 2012

Greenfinch drinking at stream

Aug 28, 2012 at 03:37 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Trying out tubes with the 70-200

A nice set Martin with 1 and 3 standing out for me. The way I shoot macros is to set the lens to manual focus, get the focus close, then rock back and forth slowly while depressing the shutter half way. I try to anticipate when the subject will slide into focus, and trip the shutter then. I still have to take a lot of shots to get what I want, but it's easier than letting the lens try to achieve focus ~ Ron

Aug 28, 2012 at 03:59 PM
Martin Good
• • • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Trying out tubes with the 70-200

surfnron wrote:
A nice set Martin with 1 and 3 standing out for me. The way I shoot macros is to set the lens to manual focus, get the focus close, then rock back and forth slowly while depressing the shutter half way. I try to anticipate when the subject will slide into focus, and trip the shutter then. I still have to take a lot of shots to get what I want, but it's easier than letting the lens try to achieve focus ~ Ron

Thanks Ron for the comments and the tip.
Will try that out next time. I think I really need a tripod too for this type of work.
Cheers,
Martin

Aug 28, 2012 at 04:14 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Trying out tubes with the 70-200

Martin Good wrote:
Thanks Ron for the comments and the tip.
Will try that out next time. I think I really need a tripod too for this type of work.
Cheers,
Martin

A flash could make a tripod unnecessary. Go to the macro forum and look at the first post - "post your setup". Also, at the top of the page, look at "macro world resources" ~ Ron

Aug 28, 2012 at 05:11 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Trying out tubes with the 70-200

A good set, Martin.
The banana flower, though, is a real honey.
Charlie

Aug 28, 2012 at 06:28 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Trying out tubes with the 70-200

1 and 2 are good yet 3 is a delight Martin

Morris

Aug 28, 2012 at 06:44 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Trying out tubes with the 70-200

I shot tubes on the 400 today Martin on some of my B-flies and it worked well, you too had great success in your method.
#1 that is great color and sharpness, nice one buddy
#2 artistic, stunning and a great angle.............sorry I keep losing my train of thought as the advertising banner for Portrait Proffessional keeps scrolling below this box showing some.....ummm lovely ummmm well never mind
#3 looks wild chive and a Sulfur of some type perhaps, lovely blend of color and texture
#4 just need a bit more of a focal point for me, that is a ton of orange for a banana
Cute on the last one

Take care
Karl

Aug 28, 2012 at 07:03 PM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Trying out tubes with the 70-200

lovely set Martin.. #1 is my favorite

Aug 28, 2012 at 07:12 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Trying out tubes with the 70-200

Nice set Chris. I have used tubes on my 15 - 85, 70 - 200, and the 400, and get decent results from each. A good way to be standoffish from the subject.

Aug 28, 2012 at 07:51 PM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Trying out tubes with the 70-200

get the focus close, then rock back and forth slowly while depressing the shutter half way geez Ron, I'm getting motion sick

It's always fun to go out and try something different Martin. It looks to me like you had a good time. Indeed the wind can be your enemy when getting close 2 & 3 are my favorites of this set. I want the focus to by in a different spot in 4 or that would have been my pick. Just personal taste The Finch knocking one back is very pleasing to me. Maybe because it is a wide shot, not sure why but my eyes like looking at it

Very nicely done Martin!

Tim

Aug 28, 2012 at 07:53 PM
dalite
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Trying out tubes with the 70-200

Great shot of the bee and flower. The longer the tube extension the harder it is to focus. I mostly use 12mm + 70-200mm lens for close ups (not macros).

Aug 28, 2012 at 09:31 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.