Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Cathedral St John Baptist (Savannah, GA)

mjhoward
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Cathedral St John Baptist (Savannah, GA)

I was on a trip to Savannah recently and the Cathedral is a pretty popular place for people to take photos just because of how ornate and beautiful it is inside. I'd like a bit of critique on this to those that don't mind offering it. Since this is a common place for photos, I tried to make a conscious effort of finding a "non-standard" composition/angle. I would also like to point out that this is NOT an HDR image. The majority of this image is from a single exposure. I did, however, bring in the "can" style ceiling lights in from a shorter exposure to maintain some of the detail in them since in the original exposure they were blown out. I also did some perspective distortion correction and slight cropping in post. I can post the original properly exposed image for those interesting. I'm mainly looking for overall feedback... is it interesting to look at, what did I do right, what did I do wrong, how could I have improved this shot, things like that. Thanks in advance.

Aug 28, 2012 at 02:24 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Cathedral St John Baptist (Savannah, GA)

I like the exposure and lack of distortion. Great DOF and well processed.

Not so sure about the composition. I am wanting to see more of that great ceiling. But I have never done one myself and am on shaky grounds with respect to composition.

Overall I like it a lot.

Aug 28, 2012 at 05:08 PM
Bert DeMars
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Cathedral St John Baptist (Savannah, GA)

Hi MJ,

In CS5, I use perspective control on wide angle shots and it can skew the dimensions. I’ve not seen your church interior, so I guessed at the proportions. What I did was do a command/all, then a command/T, used the cursor, and grabbed the frame edge and pulled it away from the shot. Then went to view/show/grid. If the grid is too big or small, it can be changed in preferences. Then used the cursor to grab the small box in the top middle and pulled the image down two spaces on the grid. Then grabbed the small box at the bottom middle and moved the image up two spaces on the grid. Thus keeping the correction even top to bottom. There are movement boxes on left and right as well. When you’ve moved the image to how you think it should look, press return, and the change is made. Go to select/deselect to take away the remaining crawling ants! Then use the crop tool to crop out the white space left. To get rid of the grid, do the same view/show/grid and it disappears.

Used the quick selection tool and brought down the brightness of the tile walkway and boosted the shadow and highlight ares in image/adjustments/shadows/highlights.

Hope this helps.

Bert

Aug 28, 2012 at 05:21 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Cathedral St John Baptist (Savannah, GA)

I like your image... I added tonal contrast in Nik Color Efex & Vibrance in Nik Viveza 2...

Aug 28, 2012 at 06:12 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Cathedral St John Baptist (Savannah, GA)

I like Bert's proportions and highlight reduction. A couple of possibilities to consider, working from Bert's version converted back to sRGB: a darker and less vivid version might cary a greater feel for the solemn - consider a duplicate layer with multiple blend mode at 50% opacity and a vib/sat layer to pull down the saturation (because the multiple can increase the appearance of saturation), perhaps -10 or so:

Aug 28, 2012 at 10:09 PM
Bert DeMars
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Cathedral St John Baptist (Savannah, GA)

I think AuntiPode's darker version would make a better print for one's wall. Better color saturation.

Aug 28, 2012 at 11:52 PM
mjhoward
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Cathedral St John Baptist (Savannah, GA)

Thanks everyone for the input.
Bert, the original that I was working off of is the one that has the perspective distortion from using 18mm. In the edit I've posted here, I've already corrected for this (at least as far as I can tell).

Aug 29, 2012 at 10:12 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.