Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · On the Rim

OntheRez
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · On the Rim

US 191 is perhaps the only Federal highway with an occasional posted speed limit of 15 mph. It climbs the face of the Mogollon rim from Morenci for nearly two hours till it tops off at around 9,000 feet on the southern edge of the great plateau which runs north into NM, CO, and UT.

Breaking out into the sky and incredible green, this abandoned corral beckoned.

Responses appreciated.

Robert

rsorrels 2012

On the Rim

Aug 28, 2012 at 06:26 PM
douter
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · On the Rim

Robert:
This is really nice and a lot to take in, but I can't help wondering what some added contrast or more defined black might look like on this.
Douglas

Aug 29, 2012 at 12:03 PM
cbliss
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · On the Rim

peaceful...love the rain on the far horizon.

Cheryl

Aug 29, 2012 at 02:45 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · On the Rim

More contrast? You're kidding, right? It already goes from solid blacks to blown out white clouds. This image is over-cooked and over sharpened. Of course, this type of image is a sharpening nightmare, so don't feel bad.

Aug 29, 2012 at 06:13 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #5 · On the Rim

Appreciate the responses - particularly from those who like the pix

The contrast observation shows up a lot with folks claiming everything from too much to not enough. (Charlie is normally the one saying I don't have enough I'm guessing this is a deeply personal choice thus the wide variation. In this pix I specifically wanted to emphasize the distant mountain and the gathering storm and put more contrast in than I normally do. As for making it "overcooked and over sharpened" well the cooking is of course to taste and the only sharpening was local emphasizing the fence post "frame" and of course the clouds building.

I rather like it, so given how rarely I'm happy with a photo, I'll settle for that opinion.

Thanks for looking and responding,

Robert

Aug 29, 2012 at 08:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · On the Rim

OntheRez wrote:
The contrast observation shows up a lot with folks claiming everything from too much to not enough. (Charlie is normally the one saying I don't have enough
Robert

I'm innocent; I'm innocent! At least so far .
And I choose words more carefully than that. If I think a posted image might benefit from more contrast, I almost always offer it as a suggestion only .
The final decision is ALWAYS up to the image maker. Even when they (or I) am wrong .

About the contrast of this pic: IMO it's admittedly a difficult problem to solve because of the extreme brightness of parts of the clouds. If there were some way to mute the hot spots in the clouds AND add some contrast to the rest of the photograph, it might make it a stronger image. (Please note all my qualifiers .)
Charlie

Shucks- I went ahead and did an edit to indicate what I meant.
THIS IS JUST IMO .

Just noticed that some of the dark parts of the clouds were made darker in my edit. Oh, well.

Aug 29, 2012 at 08:45 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #7 · On the Rim

Charlie Shugart wrote:
I'm innocent; I'm innocent! At least so far .
Charlie

Just noticed that some of the dark parts of the clouds were made darker in my edit. Oh, well.

Well, Charlie if you're innocent, then I'm rich

I think part of what happens is that I'm optimizing the image for printing (This one looks rather nice at 13 x 19) and then just squeezing down a JPEG to post on line. Obviously - or maybe not so obvious cause I hadn't really noticed it till now - what works on my printer/paper combo does not necessarily the same as or as well on a website. In looking at your rendition I can see the fencing and such having a bit more character(?) but at the same time the cloud has gotten a bit too angry for want of a better word. The scene, as I experienced it, had the clouds as a lovely promise without so much threat in them.

I do find it fascinating that with only 2 colors - B&W - there is so much more passion and varying opinion on contrast, structure, and such than there is with color photos. Wonder why that is?

You suppose all B&W pix are actually complex Rorschach tests?

Robert

Aug 29, 2012 at 11:54 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · On the Rim

OntheRez wrote:
Well, Charlie if you're innocent, then I'm rich

I think part of what happens is that I'm optimizing the image for printing (This one looks rather nice at 13 x 19) and then just squeezing down a JPEG to post on line. Obviously - or maybe not so obvious cause I hadn't really noticed it till now - what works on my printer/paper combo does not necessarily the same as or as well on a website. In looking at your rendition I can see the fencing and such having a bit more character(?) but at the same time the cloud
...Show more

Robert-
All the more reason for the image-maker to have the final say .
BTW, I edited your image in two separate sections: the clouds, and everything else. I wasn't happy with the way the clouds came out, either. Mainly, I was trying to kill the cloud hot spots.
About the Rorschach tests: did you have to look up the spelling? Or did you know it? If you knew the correct spelling, THAT might be cause for worry .
Charlie

Aug 30, 2012 at 03:13 AM
Klaus Priebe
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · On the Rim

Jeffrey wrote:
More contrast? You're kidding, right? It already goes from solid blacks to blown out white clouds. This image is over-cooked and over sharpened. Of course, this type of image is a sharpening nightmare, so don't feel bad.

+1 way overcooked

Sep 01, 2012 at 01:44 AM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password