Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · A Moment In Time . . . Philosopy

RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A Moment In Time . . . Philosopy

Sorry guys ... no pic for this one.

So I'm driving along last night on a business trip without a camera (yeah I know). The rain has recently cleared the air, and the sun is setting on my right, raking across fields and illuminating farmhouses & grain bins on the left. The moon is in the sky shining brightly in the light blue as the sun is able to illuminate both it and the earth simultaneously. The colors of the sun and the skyline continue to change from a white center spot to a giant fireball with each passing mile as the it sinks ever lower toward the horizon until slipping below, yet still shining brightly on the waxing moon.

I couldn't help but think about one of Ben's pics

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1136381/0

and some of the dialogues we've had in times past. From that, here are some thoughts that rattled around in my mind while driving along.

Whenever we take a picture, it represents a segment of time. We typically consider it to be a "snapshot" of time, as though it were but a specific moment. But, whether it is a 3 second "long exposure' that shows us the motion of fast flowing water or blurs slow moving water into a calm ... or is a 1/3,000 second that "freezes" the motion ... or a 3 minute "star trail". they all still cover a spectrum of time from that allows us to show to our viewer. The one thing that these typically do have in common is that they are a "continuous" display of that segment of time.

So, as I'm driving along, I wanted to share with you the light raking across the fields, the grain bins illuminated, the bright moon, the purple haze, the giant fireball ... yet these did not all occur simultaneously. Rather they covered a segment of time that was around 20-30 minutes of elapsed time. So, it donned on me that while the vast majority of our captures represent "continuous" segments of time (large or small), the only way that I would be able to share with you the experience of my 20-30 minutes would be to assemble a composite ... which would still represent a "segment" of time ... just that it would be a "discontinuous" capture.

Going back to my "What's the point?" "What's the message that you want to convey to your viewer?" ... my message was that I wanted to emotively share each of those things with you. Such an image would not be an "accurate" recording of a single point in time ... but then, even a 1/3,000 sec image is not a "single" point in time ... just very short "range" of continuous time. The main difference would then be the aspect of "continuous" vs. "discontinuous" range of time ... as required to capture the larger range of time. But for the person watching a scene over an extended period of time ... they would have experienced the same elemental observations, whereas for a "passerby", they would have only experienced the "snapshot" of the shorter segment in time that they observed.

I mention this because, we often times struggle with the accuracy of the recorded image vs. the emotive and communicative ability of the final produced image. I know that I have wrangled with the two over the years ... with the height of it being when I espoused that AA "cheated". Yet, I am reminded of how much I enjoy the "watching & waiting" as much as "pressing the button". From that, I'm beginning to wonder how one can convey the pleasures of "watching & waiting" over such an extended "moment in time".

Suffice to say, I was not in a position to share photographically what I experienced last night. Rather, I am left only to words. Yet, even if I had my camera with me, it would have been a challenge to do so in a way that would have produced such an effect. Some would argue that such a composite would be a "fake" or that "I cheated" ... I know that I would've as well at some time or another. But, as I find myself "shifting" my photographic perspectives from accurate recording to message conveyance ... the concept of "discontinuous" vs. "continuous" segments of time seems to be undergoing a paradigm shift now as well.

Aug 28, 2012 at 05:41 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A Moment In Time . . . Philosopy

Hi Rusty. I almost printed that final composite image. I have a write up at my new webpage on what is an ideal true photo. It was inspired by the same image which in the end I declined to print, but did use as my web page image.

In my write up I think I explain why with regard to a print. I am still trying to understand my feelings on this subject so I am glad you posted.

http://ben-egbert-photo.com/?page_id=186

But as far as your experience goes, it sounds like a job for video.

Aug 28, 2012 at 06:35 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A Moment In Time . . . Philosopy

Video would be boring ... ever watch a 20 minute video of a sunset ... BORING !!!

Standing on the coast, I can watch for hours, but I sure don't want to watch a video that long.

Aug 28, 2012 at 07:31 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A Moment In Time . . . Philosopy

RustyBug wrote:
Video would be boring ... ever watch a 20 minute video of a sunset ... BORING !!!

Standing on the coast, I can watch for hours, but I sure don't want to watch a video that long.

Well it is a bit hard to watch a sunset video I suppose. So the next question is how would you even do it time lapse stills recombined? I suppose my image was one example but did that really capture what it was you saw, especially driving?

But mine was unplanned and I could have done a better job had I not repositioned the camera between shots. That is if I could know where the light was going to end up when I started the project.

This might be a good assignment thing.

Aug 28, 2012 at 10:03 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A Moment In Time . . . Philosopy

Well, I wasn't really meaning that I would composite from the different locations while driving, just that as time lapsed, the colors/contrasts changed ... mostly that the light was perpetually changing with lighting for the fields occurring at a different time than for the houses / grain bins / skyline / sun / moon.

Essentially an HDR kinda thing but rather than for the purpose of DR alone ... also for the color / contrast / angle of incidence changes as well ... obviously very tripod & patience dependent.

Mostly is was a realization that it would require multiple separate images, or a composite of images that were separated by some degree of time, yet still being VERY REAL as to what was there, just a few minutes apart. Kinda like stitching a pano for selective motion / non-motion captures. It is a discontinuous segment(s) of time ... yet still very real that you experienced each part as you absorbed/observed the changing light in those last visibly changing moments ... unlike most of the day when the changing light is much less perceptible on a minute by minute basis.

I guess you could consider it a long exposure, using your shutter to intermittently retard light (dark slide, if you will) in conjunction with a hard ND filter repositioned between exposures for a given area of the frame.

Rambling aloud now ... so you can fully ignore the lunacy of such maniacal musings.

Aug 28, 2012 at 11:34 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A Moment In Time . . . Philosopy

But this is good stuff Rusty. My comment about the change in position was because my image had a change in direction between shots. That's why I was sensitive to that aspect as well as the time aspect.

Its a take off on star trails, or blending a sunset shot with a dead dark shot of the milky way which I have done before (not successfully).

Aug 29, 2012 at 12:16 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A Moment In Time . . . Philosopy

I've pondered taking a series of stills and rendering the result as a brief video "time-lapse" clip. The intention would be to show it on a large HD screen. Ideally, there ought to be a series of clips in a sequence around a theme or concept. Transition between images would be a significant artistic choice.

Aug 29, 2012 at 02:14 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password