Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Pronghorns (they ain't antelopes)

Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Pronghorns (they ain't antelopes)

Originally evolved to escape from the speedy N. American cheetahs- pronghorns still have the speed (50+ mph), but the cheetahs are gone. In the open areas where they live, no natural predator can catch them- few ever try.
These females (and their "man") were photographed in Yellowstone, near the NW entrance.
A couple were overexposed slides. I've tried to cover up for that.

Charlie Shugart 2012

Charlie Shugart 2012

Charlie Shugart 2012

Charlie Shugart 2012

Aug 28, 2012 at 05:32 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Pronghorns (they ain't antelopes)

You are so correct Charlie. In this case cheetahs didn't prosper. But you did get some wonderful images of the second fastest mammal on earth!
Eric

Aug 28, 2012 at 05:41 PM
Martin Good
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Pronghorns (they ain't antelopes)

Never knew these were so fast or about a North American now extinct cheetah Charlie.
You sure are a mine of info and great pics too!
Cheers,
Martin

Aug 28, 2012 at 06:36 PM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Pronghorns (they ain't antelopes)

second fastest mammal on earth Evidently fast enough to starve out the Cheetahs

Nice shots of these guys Charlie. They certainly are one of my favorite North American mammals. These guys are well worth researching, they are very unique in the animal world.

Tim

Aug 28, 2012 at 07:58 PM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Pronghorns (they ain't antelopes)

A nice set with neat info Charlie. The first 2 stand out for me ~ Ron

Aug 28, 2012 at 08:53 PM
CDaescher
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Pronghorns (they ain't antelopes)

Real nice set, Charlie and cool info.
I specially like the comp, poses and colors in the last one. Beautiful.
Chris

Aug 28, 2012 at 09:21 PM
Herb Houghton
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Pronghorns (they ain't antelopes)

NIce images Charlie, I particularly like the first two.

Aug 28, 2012 at 09:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Pronghorns (they ain't antelopes)

nice job on the Pronghorns Charlie

Aug 29, 2012 at 12:17 AM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Pronghorns (they ain't antelopes)

Thanks Eric, Martin, Tim, Ron, Chris and Herb.
Another unusual tidbit about pronghorns:
When westerners built fences in the prairies, it created extreme problems for the pronghorns, because they can't jump UP. They are plains animals and can jump across ditches and very low stuff, but not up and over fences. After hundreds got tangled by barbed wire fences- and died- a fairly recent solution was devised: leave a gap between the top wire and the wire below it that was big enough for the pronghorns to squeeze through.
This solution works, and it's a lot easier than teaching the animals how to high jump.
Added note: members of the deer family live mostly in forested areas, where jumping over fallen trees was necessary for the species to survive. They CAN jump over most fences. (well, I'm not sure about caribou ).
Charlie

Aug 29, 2012 at 12:20 AM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · Pronghorns (they ain't antelopes)

Good shots Charlie. But I swear I've seen NA cheetah pics from Eric.

Aug 29, 2012 at 12:20 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Pronghorns (they ain't antelopes)

The last 2 are my picks Charlie. Have you seen these beauties run? There quick and gracefull

Morris

Aug 29, 2012 at 12:21 AM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · Pronghorns (they ain't antelopes)

Thanks Ken and Morris.
Yes, I've seen them run at a leisurely 40 mph canter. Not being chased or threatened.... just running.
You know, like that cleansing ritual thing male dogs do- because they can .
Charlie

Aug 29, 2012 at 02:48 AM
Bmetcan
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Pronghorns (they ain't antelopes)

Some nice shots Charlie and yes, very interesting animals. About the fence jumping, I too had always heard they can't/won't jump fences but last year I witnessed a doe trying to escape a buck during the rut leap not one but two barbed wire fences lining a dirt road. Of course I can't prove it with a photo as I was busy taking blurry photos of bigfoot at the time but the truth is I was sitting in my vehicle wincing for the impact of them both crashing into the fence but surprisingly they leapt over one, ran across the dirt road, leapt over the other side and continued to race off across the prairie.

Steve

Aug 29, 2012 at 03:50 AM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · Pronghorns (they ain't antelopes)

Bmetcan wrote:
Some nice shots Charlie and yes, very interesting animals. About the fence jumping, I too had always heard they can't/won't jump fences but last year I witnessed a doe trying to escape a buck during the rut leap not one but two barbed wire fences lining a dirt road. Of course I can't prove it with a photo as I was busy taking blurry photos of bigfoot at the time but the truth is I was sitting in my vehicle wincing for the impact of them both crashing into the fence but surprisingly they leapt over one, ran across the
...Show more

Thanks, Steve.
That's good news to hear- and one smart mama to figure it out.
Certainly they have the strength and energy to hop fences, but most species have a terrible time figuring new things out. And it seems the more specialized the species are, the more the problem.
Barbed wire has only been around for a couple hundred years, and the same for any kinds of fences in the American western wilderness, so pronghorn haven't had much time to learn that jumping over fences is a lot better than crashing into them.
I hope they can learn from each other the way some monkeys and chimpanzees have passed along new knowledge to their young.
Charllie

Aug 29, 2012 at 04:32 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password