Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · High School Volleyball Tournament

shaneroper
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · High School Volleyball Tournament

Here are a few from this weekends tournament.

NIKON D3S    70.0-200.0 mm f/2.8 lens    135mm    f/4.5    1/250s    640 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D3S    50.0 mm f/1.8 lens    50mm    f/4.5    1/250s    500 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D3S    300.0 mm f/2.8 lens    300mm    f/4.0    1/250s    640 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D3S    70.0-200.0 mm f/2.8 lens    145mm    f/4.0    1/250s    640 ISO    0.0 EV  

Aug 28, 2012 at 05:13 PM
shaneroper
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · High School Volleyball Tournament

a few more..

NIKON D3S    300.0 mm f/2.8 lens    300mm    f/4.0    1/250s    640 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D3S    70.0-200.0 mm f/2.8 lens    98mm    f/4.0    1/250s    640 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D3S    70.0-200.0 mm f/2.8 lens    85mm    f/4.0    1/250s    640 ISO    0.0 EV  

Aug 28, 2012 at 05:16 PM
shaneroper
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · High School Volleyball Tournament

This was my first attempt at strobing volleyball, we shot about 15 games this past Friday and Saturday.

Aug 28, 2012 at 05:18 PM
Ed Peters
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · High School Volleyball Tournament

Info on your lighting setup would be useful for others looking into volleyball, basketball, etc.

Aug 28, 2012 at 06:48 PM
shaneroper
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · High School Volleyball Tournament

I am attempting to make diagram of it, but basically used 2 AB 800 bounced off wall and ceiling one was set at the 10 ft line bounced off the wall to fill in the background and the other set up in the corner opposite of the team bounced to the ceiling so that it would fill the players face. Power set at full power using cyber synchs and we used two more to strobe the other side of the net on different channels because we were getting alot of hot spots when we used all 4 at 1 time or we would catch the light when shooting up..diagram to come soon as I might not be getting my point accross

Aug 28, 2012 at 08:48 PM
gschlact
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · High School Volleyball Tournament

Nice set and Action. On my iPad they look slightly over sharpened.

Guy

Aug 28, 2012 at 09:48 PM
rolette
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · High School Volleyball Tournament

Very nice timing on #1. On #4 it looks like you haven't quite killed off the ambient (a little ghosting on the ball).

Jay

Aug 29, 2012 at 02:57 AM
shaneroper
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · High School Volleyball Tournament

Yeah..I wasn't able to to much light and not enough power so had to just mix it best I could..

Aug 29, 2012 at 03:03 AM
bstarz

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · High School Volleyball Tournament

Wow nice set, here in NY I have been told it's taboo to strobe volleyball. OK for night football and basketball but no volley ball (although I haven't tried yet so maybe it depends on the venue).

Aug 29, 2012 at 03:22 AM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · High School Volleyball Tournament

I am surprised they let you strobe, BiG taboo here in the northwest. Did the girl in #1 get called for being across the plane on defense?

Good set!

Paul

Aug 29, 2012 at 03:47 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

dj dunzie
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · High School Volleyball Tournament

Shane I too am interested in your strobe placement and angling. I am going into my second year with a College Athletics contract and while they won't allow the strobes for action I'll use them anyway for warmups and between-play shots. Last year I had some trouble nailing a balanced setup.

Of course the option is ISO12800 all day long:

Anyway about the set... love the variety of angles and compositions, and good timing too. Well done. Is that a remote cam in #2 by any chance, and if not have you ever played around with it for V-Ball?

Aug 29, 2012 at 04:38 AM
shaneroper
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · High School Volleyball Tournament

All, I haven't had a chance to get a diagram yet but trying to get it done. DJ, #2 was actually done with a 50MM during warmups, I was standing on the Ref's stand looking down and this was my first time shooting volleyball. I shot again last night and was at 12,800 ISO at 1/500SS not great pictures..probably better than the average mom/dad but not great! Strobing is way better, and I was shooting the tournament and we talked it over with the coaches and came into a practice the night prior to make sure the girls didn't have any problems and made changes if they did so that our placement didn't hurt play in any way. The girls noticed them prior to warm ups but no issues what so ever during the game. I spoke to the coach after the tournament and she said she never noticed them, no other coach or player had any issues and the refs didn't have any issues and we went thru a few. Shot 4-5 games Friday night and then from 8am to 6pm on Saturday games were every hour.
I was pretty happy for it being the first time but not so much when I shot without..even with the D3S results were not so good at high ISO.

Aug 29, 2012 at 01:56 PM
dj dunzie
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · High School Volleyball Tournament

Shane... wow... reasonable coaches and refs. I wasn't so lucky with last year's v-ball. Badminton (yeah I know... badminton) allowed me to use them but I didn't get the setup the way I'd really like with 4 strobes. But you're so right... ISO12800 vs low-ISO even on today's cams is still a loss to some degree...

That's a lot of shooting... especially when you're moving around a fair bit to get the different angles you did. Anyway, nice work again.

Aug 29, 2012 at 02:27 PM
shaneroper
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · High School Volleyball Tournament

DJ, I didn't see your pictures earlier..but looks great especially if those are ISO 12,800..way better than the ones I shot last night.

Aug 30, 2012 at 12:26 AM
rsartin
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · High School Volleyball Tournament

Had a Ref tell me last night that no flashes were allowed for Volleyball (I was strobing from like forever away). I said, "Yeah, those things are bad! Good thing I am using strobes". He went on to tell me that it was in the NCAA rules, and that no flash or strobes of any kind could be used because you would permanently injure everyone in a 3 mile radius, or something like that

Can't wait to next week, straight from the NCAA rules for Volleyball (and yes, I just shut everything down and was respectful...not the time or the place. He has a whole week to learn his job)...

1.4.5 Lighting

1.4.5.1 The court should be uniformly and adequately lighted. For information on recommended specifications for lighting, as published by the Illuminating Engineering Society of North America, contact the NCAA Volleyball Rules liaison.

1.4.5.2 Strobe lights are allowed. Courtside flash photography is prohibited within 2 meters (6 feet, 6 inches) of the court. Flash photography outside the 2-meter area is allowed unless it presents a safety hazard.

I am amazed at how much more troublesome folks are at small colleges vs. high schools or big time schools. Hopefully the SID has it all worked out before I get around to Volleyball again. If not, I'll sit 6 feet and 7 inches away and wear out the opposing team with a SB-800 on the camera

I am so over the whole "strobe" issue...if done correctly with the right gear there is no way it ever affects anything, other than the quality of the images.

Aug 30, 2012 at 01:41 AM
robby521
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · High School Volleyball Tournament

did some last night and was told i could use the flash anytime.just dont do it while they are serving.its our home school so i been practicing a lot.

Aug 30, 2012 at 03:19 AM
danmc
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · High School Volleyball Tournament

rsartin wrote:
Had a Ref tell me last night that no flashes were allowed for Volleyball [snip some]
I am amazed at how much more troublesome folks are at small colleges [snip more]

+1 on the northwest will never allow strobes for volleyball... told no to strobes at basketball twice last year...

Aug 30, 2012 at 05:10 PM
dj dunzie
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · High School Volleyball Tournament

shaneroper wrote:
DJ, I didn't see your pictures earlier..but looks great especially if those are ISO 12,800..way better than the ones I shot last night.

Well... first one is ISO12800, second is strobed at ISO400, but sorry to hijack your thread a little. Again, you done great!

Aug 30, 2012 at 07:35 PM
shaneroper
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · High School Volleyball Tournament

No worries..getting ready to go shoot some football..seems as though it's non-stop for me now days. I thought you could strobe but I don't shoot college but would love to. That is funny about the 3 miles away! I tried to get a couple of serves using strobes but I really pick and chose my place, close game no way if they won the first set and are killing them the second I might get a couple but like basketball I never strobe the free throw until the ball is released.. Great picture for 12.800 mine was no wear near as good as that.

Aug 30, 2012 at 07:44 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password