Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Rain Flowers....need your honest feedback

PerlaD300
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Rain Flowers....need your honest feedback

Took a stab at the garden flowers during a drizzle last evening....thought the picture came out good and did processing in Picasa (just boosted shadows and added sharpening - don't have PS on my laptop). How do you like this? Could I have done something different or processed differently?

Here is the EXIF:
D300/18-200mm lens at 200mm tripod mounted
ISO400 (could have boosted ISO to 800 but wanted to reduce noise as much as I can)
F5.6
1/8 sec (due to little light during rain)

Appreciate your feedback...also, please feel free to post any deviations/alternatives to the posted picture.

Regards,
Perla

Aug 28, 2012 at 04:34 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Rain Flowers....need your honest feedback

Looks very good, I might tone down the green in the upper right and along the mid right side. Maybe the bright leaf on the left side as well. Very nicely done.

Aug 28, 2012 at 04:53 PM
PerlaD300
• •
p.1 #3 · Rain Flowers....need your honest feedback

Thank you Ben. Was waiting very curiously for input :-). I went back and forth on exposing the backdrop (Greens you mentioned) but thought if I avoid the greens, it would seem to floaty for the flowers on the black...but here is the updated version with your feedback taken...took a crude vignetting approach (as picasa gives very limited option on how to apply this action) and here is what I got....

Does this work better or worse?

Aug 28, 2012 at 05:10 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Rain Flowers....need your honest feedback

Hi, maybe too much. I would have done it in Photoshop with a darker layer and simply brushed over the bright places. I am not sure I like what the vignette did to he lower right corner.

Sort of like this

Aug 28, 2012 at 05:21 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Rain Flowers....need your honest feedback

+1 @ Ben ... both times.

Aug 28, 2012 at 05:59 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

PerlaD300
• •
p.1 #6 · Rain Flowers....need your honest feedback

Agree with you guys! I thought the same on the vignetting, didn't do good for the pic...will have to take this to the home computer to finish what Ben suggested.

Thanks Rusty....

Thanks.

Aug 28, 2012 at 06:31 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Rain Flowers....need your honest feedback

Beautiful.
Well-positioned, composed with beautiful color, fine detail.
A tad of vignette finishes it further. However in the upper right corner I like the soft, pale echoing shapes of the leaves and dont think you gain anything by vignetting that out. Even though that would be my instinctive move.
Scott

Aug 29, 2012 at 12:53 AM
PerlaD300
• •
p.1 #8 · Rain Flowers....need your honest feedback

Hey Scott...those were very encouraging comments, thank you! Looking at Ben's latest pic, I think what you are suggesting is inline with Ben/Rusty suggested as well....I didn't like the complete black without background details and will leave the soft,pale shapes....i didn't had a chance to get on my home computer to do this (PS is installed there)...with 2 kids + WIFE, you won't get the time all you wanted...:-)

Thanks again
Ramesh

Aug 29, 2012 at 03:36 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Rain Flowers....need your honest feedback

Selectively boosting the exposure gamma and slightly dropping the exposure to darken some of the green parts and the unfortunate brown twig/stem could give it even more punch.

Aug 29, 2012 at 06:57 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password