Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Photo/Video Computer Build

Hybrid AWD
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Photo/Video Computer Build

It's been nearly 5 year or 6 years since I have put together a computer and needless to say, my current one is outdated. It still runs strong, but it cannot support the video editing that I want to jump into so it was time to upgrade.

Last week I placed a nice little order with NewEgg and Amazon and today is the day the last parts come in. Here is the laundry list:

Corsair 600T White Mid-Tower

Intel i7 3930 3.2GHz processor
ASUS P9X79 Pro motherboard
Corsair 16GB Vengeance LP DDR3 (Most likely will add 16 more GB = 32GB total)
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti 2GB
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler
OCZ 128GB Vertex 4 SSD - Boot Drive
Seagate 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6GB/s HDD
Corsair 650W PSU

My project budget was $1500 +- $200 and I spent $1851.10 on the build but with the rebates and cash back by using FatWallet, it come o

Next on the list is an IPS monitor but I've been really wishy washy about which one to go with.

Let me know what you think of the build. Pictures coming tonight.

Edited on Aug 30, 2012 at 12:08 AM · View previous versions

Aug 28, 2012 at 02:26 PM
BluesWest
• • •
p.1 #2 · Photo/Video Computer Build

HIS IceQ HD7850 2GB video card

Are you planing on using Premier Pro for your video editing? If so, I don't think the MPE can make use of this card.

John

Aug 28, 2012 at 03:54 PM
Hybrid AWD
• •
p.1 #3 · Photo/Video Computer Build

Yeah that is one of the last minute decisions I switched. I ended up picking up a Nvidia GTX 660 Ti 2GB instead so I can make use of the MPE. I think it will be a benefit for me in that sense. Lets hope so anyways, that card was $100 more than I budgeted.

Aug 30, 2012 at 12:08 AM
BluesWest
• • •
p.1 #4 · Photo/Video Computer Build

I ended up picking up a Nvidia GTX 660 Ti 2GB

You could have saved about $100 bucks by purchasing the GTX 560Ti 1GB instead (or even the GTX 550Ti 1GB -- with even greater savings), and you still would have had a great card for Premiere Pro. But as it is you've built a killer system that should last you at least five years, so the extra expense of the GPU works out to $20/year, money well-spent IMO.

John

Aug 30, 2012 at 04:50 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Hammy
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Photo/Video Computer Build

Great system. Depending on your workflow, you may see that 32Gb upgrade worth while.

The one thing I see lacking in your system is hard drives for video. This video sums it up pretty well:
http://www.video2brain.com/en/lessons/optimizing-hard-disks

Aug 30, 2012 at 03:58 PM
amrcksc

p.1 #6 · Photo/Video Computer Build

Some caution with the OCZ SSD as your OS boot. I had two failures of OCZ 120gb agility2 and 240gb vertex3. Now only use an SSD for the render scratchpad. Keep things backed up and setup disks in a safeplace.

Sep 08, 2012 at 02:25 AM
mmurph
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · Photo/Video Computer Build

I went with 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda in RAID 0 for my Project drive. I also decided to use an OCZ 120 GB Agility 3 as a Scratch drive for Bridge, etc. rather than the OS drive.

I am only using the machine for Adobe CS6 Production Premium. The SSD for OS is really not a lot of help for Premiere, etc.

My CPU is 3 years old, but here are my basic specs: i7 920, 27 GB RAM, 640 GB OS HDD, 2x 2TB RAID O Project, 120 GB SSD Scratch drive, GTX 560 2GB DDRM5, dual monitors (forget exactly which, 3 years old), 8 TB NAS RAID over Ethernet for backup (you could go to a USB 3.0 external. Backup is important with the RAID 0.)

I did just buy 2 more OCZ 120 GB for $50 after rebate at Buy.com yesterday.

I might replace my OS HDD with those 2 SSD in RAID 0 (despite what I said above) - in some cases Bridge, etc. default to the OS drive, so I will just leave the default there.

My total cost was about $1,100. I started with a Dell XPS 415 (I think.)

There is a Dell XPS box with an i7 3770K, 4 GB of RAM, etc. for $668, $558 after $100 Visa card. Add the RAM, GTX, SSD, HDDs, and a power supplyh to that, it makes a good base to build on. Check techbargains.com

Good luck!
Michael

Sep 08, 2012 at 03:03 AM
mmurph
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · Photo/Video Computer Build

If you are interested in benchmarking your computer after you build it, I have been running the ppbm5.com benchmarks in CS6 after every update.

www.ppbm5.com

It also makes interesting reading.

Sep 08, 2012 at 06:09 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password