FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              8      
       10       end

Archive 2012 · Annoyed

jamach
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.9 #1 · p.9 #1 · Annoyed

I am not catching the dx concern. If the fx camera can do dx at a suitable mpixel, if it can do dx lenses, if it can crop from the image produced by an fx lens, then what is the issue?

Is it that dx people want their own high mpixel camera? Yet, why are dx uses still fond of the current and past crop of dx cameras?

Essentially it looks to me as if Nikon has made dx available with all their fx cameras

Sep 13, 2012 at 12:15 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.9 #2 · p.9 #2 · Annoyed

COST!

The D300 was $1800 where as the only FX body to match it in MP when used in DX crop mode is the $3000 D800 and it has less FPS.

The D7K is a great camera with a great sensor but without the pro features of the D300. Combined the best of the two and you get the longed-for D400.

One other thing, the D7K is 16MP and the D800 does NOT match that in DX crop mode yet the D7K is 1/3 the price.

Remember, lenses last decades, but bodies have shorter lifespans with heavy use. Over time the cost of body upgrades in FX will pay for many many DX bodies. This is what was so great about the D300 along with all its performance.

Sep 13, 2012 at 12:20 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.9 #3 · p.9 #3 · Annoyed

It isn't only cost, Andre. It's also performance and MPs on target. I have 2 FX bodies with which I'm very happy, the d700 and d3s. There isn't a replacement for the d700 and I simply won't pay $6k for a camera, so the d4, which is now the ONLY current high performance FX camera, is not an option.

Using DX mode on an FX camera just doesn't work well, even if there was a high performance FX camera available. I've tried to make the d3s replace my d300, but it just won't work in all reach limited circumstances. DX mode is just too few MPs and using a 1.4x TC all of the time, causes other issues. Even if the d800 were high performance, in DX mode, it only has 15mp. I would expect the d400 and d7100 to be at least 16mp and more likely 24mp.

The bottom line is that the d300/d700 hit the sweet spot for a lot of users, giving just the right combination of features and compromises for the dollar. There's not even a rumor of the d400 or the d7100, so it's not likely that they'd be introduced anytime soon. Right now, Nikon only has 1 high performance model available, the d4. So, if you want a current body with a minimum of 8FPS, you must buy the d4. That doesn't even address the pro AF, buffer and other things that comprise a high performance body.

Yes, I missed the d3200, but it is the bottom of the model line, so it's hardly an upgrade path for many DX users....

Yes, I'm certainly hoping that the d400 and d7100 will soon be available, but that doesn't alter the fact that FX has completely dominated Nikon's thinking for the last 2 years. Maybe that's the way they want it and if so, I wish them luck.

Kerry

Sep 13, 2012 at 12:43 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.9 #4 · p.9 #4 · Annoyed

If you are right about Nikon and their thinking, it puts me in a bind with my lens selection ... maybe the D7K replacement will have the AF and FPS performance I need ... but I'm not hopeful in that regard.

Sep 13, 2012 at 12:48 PM
LMT1972
• • •
p.9 #5 · p.9 #5 · Annoyed

Thom Hogan says maybe 9 months before we see the D400 . They have certainly left a price gap between the D7000 & D600 for the D400 to slot in but as I said previously, the longer they leave it the more likely some (many?)D300/s users will look at the D800, D600 & D7200 as an upgrade. Of course in the meantime if Canon release a decent upgrade of the 7D it might also swing a few across.

So given the delayed release, a $1700-$1800 price point & the price and specs of the D600, it's pretty certain that if a true D300 replacement is released it will have a 24MP DX sensor.

Cheers
Leigh

Sep 13, 2012 at 05:32 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.9 #6 · p.9 #6 · Annoyed

I don't think too many D300 users are going to a D600 ... I think most will either go with the D7200 or jump ship to the 7D.

Sep 13, 2012 at 06:45 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.9 #7 · p.9 #7 · Annoyed

What is the D7200?

Sep 13, 2012 at 06:49 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.9 #8 · p.9 #8 · Annoyed

Gunzorro wrote:
What is the D7200?

The expected replacement for the D7K

Sep 13, 2012 at 08:12 PM
LMT1972
• • •
p.9 #9 · p.9 #9 · Annoyed

Andre Labonte wrote:
I don't think too many D300 users are going to a D600 ... I think most will either go with the D7200 or jump ship to the 7D.

Well if I didn't shoot sports the D600 would be a no brainer for me. I personally know a couple of D300/s users who will also likely go for this body. If you don't do action or BiF it's a pretty good option for landscape, event/wedding, macro & studio work.

Cheers
Leigh

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:03 AM
84FJ60
• •
p.9 #10 · p.9 #10 · Annoyed

Andre Labonte wrote:

Speaking as a D300 user who likes the extra reach of DX for shooting wildlife, I've grown weary of waiting for the D400 to arrive. This November, I'll have owned the D300 for 5 years. I've been contemplating my path forward, and the D600 isn't what I'm looking for. I want a high end DX body with the build quality of the D300. The way I see it, the D600 is just a FX sensor in the D7000 body. Thus far, I've passed on the D7000 due to its build. But if the D7100 is to be the D7000 and D300 replacement all in one, I may just have to go that route. I won't go with Canon since I have so many dollars tied up in Nikon glass.

David - a Colorado Nikonian

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:19 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.9 #11 · p.9 #11 · Annoyed

Hi Leigh and Dave,

Funny thing is I agree with you 100%. If I was not doing so much sports where I need the reach, I think I'd either settle for the D7K replacement or I would upgrade to the D600 and put my money into some nice FX glass. Selling off my 300 f/2.8 along with other money I have slated for photography would easity fund the transistion.

But, I do do lots of sports and some wildlife an need that reach. I can't afford the longer exotic Nikors. I don't see the AF of the D7K as being on par with what I need ... maybe we'll get lucky with it's replacement, especially if the replacement lands somewhere between the D7k and the D300.

Thom Hogan things a D400 is coming in another 9 months ... we'll see.

Cheers,
Andre

Sep 14, 2012 at 01:18 AM
firewireguy
• • •
p.9 #12 · p.9 #12 · Annoyed

They just need to put the D3200 sensor in a D300 body and I'll buy it

Sep 14, 2012 at 10:41 AM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.9 #13 · p.9 #13 · Annoyed

firewireguy wrote:
They just need to put the D3200 sensor in a D300 body and I'll buy it

I'd rather see a 16 or 18MP sensor with improved ISO performance ... that and make the FPS = 8 and the latest AF system as in the D800. That would be perfect.

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:13 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.9 #14 · p.9 #14 · Annoyed

Andre Labonte wrote:
Thom Hogan things a D400 is coming in another 9 months ... we'll see.

Actually what he said was that it could be at least another 9 months before the D5200, D7200 and D400 (all three) have gestated. Nikon Rumors seems to think there will be one more DX camera announced this year. Who knows which it will be.

brad

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:25 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.9 #15 · p.9 #15 · Annoyed

The polymer body like the d7k, isn't a deal breaker for me, if it contains all of the high performance features and they are ≥ those of the d300s. But, I would certainly miss the pro body, the AF On button and this time they should put the dam shutter curtain in it.....

I've heard a couple of rumors that the d400 will be announced in/around the end of October. That would be a nice Xmas present to me, especially if it were bundled with the d700mkII.

Kerry

Sep 14, 2012 at 02:05 PM
this is me
• • •
p.9 #16 · p.9 #16 · Annoyed

Andre Labonte wrote:
I'd rather see a 16 or 18MP sensor with improved ISO performance ... that and make the FPS = 8 and the latest AF system as in the D800. That would be perfect.

Put it in a D4 body and it would be perfect! But yes, I agreed. Nikon needs a 16-18MP DX camera with improved ISO performance.

Sep 14, 2012 at 03:28 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.9 #17 · p.9 #17 · Annoyed

this is me wrote:
Put it in a D4 body and it would be perfect! But yes, I agreed. Nikon needs a 16-18MP DX camera with improved ISO performance.

We have a winner!!! With the D4 AF system and all of course. That would be sweet but now we are no longer talking about an $1800 camera .... more like $2800 ... but I might just swing it for unibody since I shoot with my battery grip on 100% of the time.

Sep 14, 2012 at 04:14 PM
harleyman
• • •
p.9 #18 · p.9 #18 · Annoyed

frustrated wrote:
A "pro" DX body will never happen again. No way. People would call it a pro body but the image quality probably wouldn't match up to the FX pro bodies that Nikon has or their competitors have. It would just look bad for the company.

+10

Sep 14, 2012 at 04:25 PM
firewireguy
• • •
p.9 #19 · p.9 #19 · Annoyed

I'd love it if they made it in a D300 body but they make the finger grip deeper. With my D2H I could walk around with the body and 70-200 lens literally just resting on my fingers with no need for my thumb. With the D300 I have to keep a firmer grip using my thumb as the finger slot isn't deep enough.

I do prefer a non-built in grip body in that at least I have the option whether to lug a big camera or a massive camera around with me.

Sep 14, 2012 at 04:52 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.9 #20 · p.9 #20 · Annoyed

frustrated wrote:
A "pro" DX body will never happen again. No way. People would call it a pro body but the image quality probably wouldn't match up to the FX pro bodies that Nikon has or their competitors have. It would just look bad for the company.

?? I'm highly confused. The D3200 sensor is terrific from an IQ perspective. Put the D300s body around it and you'd have a platform pros are looking for, which has as much to do with build, handling and AF performance as the sensor.

This whole thing about what is a "pro" camera is kind of silly IMHO.

Sep 14, 2012 at 08:11 PM
       10       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

10       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.