New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              9       10       end

Archive 2012 · Annoyed

Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Annoyed

So the rumors seem more and more clear that the D600 will be an entry level FX body. Great idea actually and it will due well provided Nikon implements properly (no focus issues like the D800)

BUT, Nikon is neglecting us DX users whom want a pro-level body like the D300s. FX is great but not for everyone. It's not for me and I could realy use a pro-level DX body. The D7000 is nice but it's not a D300s. Where is the D400? It's LONG LONG LOOONG over-due.

Aug 28, 2012 at 09:23 AM
ja_joyce
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Annoyed

Yeah, I'm hoarding D2Xes myself. It seems pretty clear where Nikon is going with DX.

Aug 28, 2012 at 09:44 AM
Steve Perry
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Annoyed

I'm with you. I shoot FX primarily but MAN - could I use a good DX body!

Aug 28, 2012 at 10:26 AM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Annoyed

I'd be happy with a D7000 with more buffer and FPS.

Aug 28, 2012 at 10:30 AM
jamach
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Annoyed

+1

adding a grip makes a big difference, btw

Joe

Aug 28, 2012 at 10:49 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Annoyed

To me, the last "pro level" DX body was the D2Xs. I'm afraid those days are over for DX fans.
Despite the size/rear AF button placement I love the D7K's to the tune of over 200K shots
since Nov '10. Learn it...love it. I just bought another and sold my last D300s. Clean blue skies!

Aug 28, 2012 at 10:59 AM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Annoyed

I'd love to see a D400 too for some purposes, and FWIW I think it's a market segment that Nikon is not going to leave unattended. Long overdue, but I do expect it to show up soon.

Aug 28, 2012 at 11:01 AM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Annoyed

trenchmonkey wrote:
To me, the last "pro level" DX body was the D2Xs. I'm afraid those days are over for DX fans.
Despite the size/rear AF button placement I love the D7K's to the tune of over 200K shots
since Nov '10. Learn it...love it. I just bought another and sold my last D300s. Clean blue skies!

yup... I sold my D300s and picked up a D7000 ... and said goodbye to the old DX models forever....

Aug 28, 2012 at 11:40 AM
dj dunzie
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Annoyed

I feel for guys that are in your boat Andre. I hate to think Will is right on this, but I honestly have to say I believe Will is right on this. D2Xs --> D3 (FX) --> D3S (FX) --> D4 (FX)...

Nikon starting coining the D300 the "pro" DX body, and I honestly think it looks like that will be the top "pro" model base from here out. I could be wrong, but I think you saw the evolution to the 300s, and now the rumors have it for a D400. I think that is what you're looking at. A D400 would I'm sure appease most pro DX-primary shooters, but the trend for DX bodies seems to be for the entry-level stuff. The 17-55/f2.8 DX seems to me to also be the last specific-DX pro level lens. Most DX releases since have been entry level kits or zooms or lightweight primes. Granted, DX users can use FX lenses to great effect, but since the 17-55 how many amazing pro lenses in FX format has Nikon either released or revamped? A ton.

And now comes the D600. I had no urge for a 36MP D800 for what I shoot, and though the D4 was a great release for many, it isn't enough change from my D3S to make me put the deposit on. However, a 24MP small-body FX camera might just cause me to rid myself of my last two DX bodies (both more entry-level cameras anyway). I see a lot of pros and high-level enthusiasts strictly FX these days for whatever reason.

Andre... I honestly see your argument about FX not being for everyone, and I can't argue at all. Kerry has been vocal the same way. You're both right. But for me... even as a sports shooter predominantly, I really have no desire for a new high-level DX body because I've really fallen all over the FX sensors. It will definitely be interesting to see where Nikon takes the two lines in the next 2-5 years. It seems to me they are marketing their lines as Nikon-1 (a step-up to interchangeable lenses for amateurs coming off P&S cameras), DX (their mid-range medium-sensor line) and FX (for serious enthusiasts and pros). I may be wrong... and often am!

Strangely I just pulled up Thom Hogan's archived but still fairly recent comments on DX LINK HERE and he seems to agree with you Andre about Nikon's approach being a little annoying to some DX users.

Anyway, we'll see... I'm hoping for a great new D400 soon for you Andre!

Aug 28, 2012 at 11:46 AM
RJKphoto
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Annoyed

I really, really regret selling My D2Xs...really.

Aug 28, 2012 at 11:47 AM
2of9
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Annoyed

I tried a D300s with a battery grip and it feels quite sturdy. I'm sure Nikon would make a DX Pro camera but for now I think people who would purchase a high-end DX would go with a D300s + the battery grip OR the D7000. I think a lot of people are looking forward to a entry level FX body though.

Aug 28, 2012 at 11:52 AM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Annoyed

Whether or not Nikon is going in that direction has been a topic of much discussion here but personally I don't think they are done with DX at this time.

brad

Aug 28, 2012 at 11:58 AM
ChrisCoy
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Annoyed

Just out of curiosity, why would someone WANT a pro DX body? I've shot a D300, and while I enjoy the body style, its still a DX sensor.

I'm not dogging it, so don't take my post that way... I'm just trying to understand why some believe that a DX sensor is better than an FX sensor.

Personally I am trying as hard as I can to move into the FX format, but alas... I'm still here in crop body land.

Aug 28, 2012 at 12:06 PM
Keopele19
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Annoyed

Chris,

I'm with you on this. Functionally there is no advantage I can see dx having over fx. Most fx bodies can be switched to dx mode for that matter. However, the selling point for me, and I expect most others, is size, weight, and the two big ones - cost and a dx lens collection. For that reason, I'll stick with dx until fx bodies significantly come down in price.

Aug 28, 2012 at 12:12 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Annoyed

For a given field-of-view in your resulting image, DX lenses will always be smaller, lighter, and cheaper than FX. DX bodies are also lighter, smaller, and cheaper. For macro and landscapes, the greater DOF of DX is desirable. For wildlife, birds, aviation, and other uses, the greater reach (pixels-per-duck) of DX is preferable.

There are lots of reasons to prefer DX for some applications, just like there are reasons to prefer FX for other applications (most famously shallow DOF and low noise at high ISO). Neither one is "better" and those who think otherwise are missing part of the picture, no pun intended.

Aug 28, 2012 at 12:13 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Annoyed

Keopele19 wrote:
I'm with you on this. Functionally there is no advantage I can see dx having over fx. Most fx bodies can be switched to dx mode for that matter. However, the selling point for me, and I expect most others, is size, weight, and the two big ones - cost and a dx lens collection. For that reason, I'll stick with dx until fx bodies significantly come down in price.

Switching an FX body to DX is less than ideal. The viewfinder image gets real small, and the loss of MP hurts. If I only needed 16MP, I'd pay $1000 for a D7000 and have a lighter, smaller body than the $3,000 D800 in DX mode. Assume a 24MP D400, and I'd rather use that DX body (light permitting) for long-range shooting than a D4 at 16MP cropped down to 7MP so I can get the same reach as the D400. And so on.

Aug 28, 2012 at 12:17 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Annoyed

I hate to think Will is right on this, but I honestly have to say I believe Will is right on this.
I can feel the love, Deej

Aug 28, 2012 at 12:19 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Annoyed

Rodolfo's right about the benefits of each....
Just using the center portion of FX glass on a cropper can eliminate soft corner issues shot wide open.
Sometimes our access is limited and the "reach" preferred to cropping or slapping on a TC and loosing
a stop Sure I love destroyin' the BG's with the shallow DOF of FX, but the right tool to git 'er done is
the important thing to remember here. Both have their place and my sales are pretty much split 50/50.

Aug 28, 2012 at 12:31 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Annoyed

Will, DJ, Rodolfo

I know some people do not see the D300 as a pro body, but I do ... it's a lot like the F6 in terms of size & construction and the battery grip not being integrated. Yea, a unibody like the D2 / D3 / D4 would be nice, but give me a D400 as an updated D300 and I'm happy.

The D7K is a great camera, but I want that pro-level build, AF performance, frame rate and size, layout, etc. ( I have big hands and the D7K is too small for hours of shooting)

I too think Will is right that we will never again see a DX unibody like the D2. But FX is too rich for my budget and I need the reach more than the high ISO. I can't afford to upgrade my entire lens kit nor can I afford the exotic tele lenses ... 5 kids and the first is yet to start college. My 300 f/2.8 + 1.7 TC has to do for me. Even if cost was not an issue, size and weight are ... I'm not as strong as the Monkey.

Cheers,
Andre

Aug 28, 2012 at 02:02 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Annoyed

The D300 is absolutely a pro body, which is why I'm looking forward to a D400. The body construction, weather sealing, features, controls, and ergonomics -- including the vertical grip -- were all of first-class pro quality on the D300.

Aug 28, 2012 at 02:17 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.