Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Suggestions to improve this?

eeneryma
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Suggestions to improve this?

I took this photo on the Connecticut side of the Long Island Sound several weeks ago. It was taken at dusk on an overcast day. I was on a bluff overlooking the sound, and kept shooting until it was dark. I like the silent, gloomy, still atmosphere with the lone boat, and the shades of gray and slightly rippling water.
I used minimal processing in CS5. With my amateur eyes I liked the way it looked, but wondered whether some of you might have a different take. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

eeneryma 2012

Solitary Boat

E-30    OLYMPUS 50-200mm Lens lens    64mm    f/10.0    1/30s    100 ISO    -0.7 EV  

Aug 28, 2012 at 01:58 AM
evillemperor

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Suggestions to improve this?

Great shot! I would suggest either zooming in more or making the boat bigger.

Aug 28, 2012 at 03:09 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Suggestions to improve this?

If you are pleased with it that is all that matters... I might suggest changes but that would be moving the image toward my perspective, not yours... That said; I think it is grey, gloomy, and it does not hold my attention... But I am a "Velvia" type...

Aug 28, 2012 at 03:36 AM
eeneryma
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Suggestions to improve this?

When I took this photo, I was "channeling" Hiroshi Sugimoto, a famous japanese photographer whose work I like. He does landscapes somewhat akin to this, using shades of black, gray, and white. Not my normal style, but I like to play with the camera.

Aug 28, 2012 at 12:59 PM
dmacmillan
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Suggestions to improve this?

My only suggestion would be to crop a little off the bottom. The water is not as interesting as it is near and beyond the boat. That would also move the horizon from near the center of the frame to closer to the bottom third.

I could also argue that cropping would take away the symmetry of the image. I like it just as it is and I haven't convinced myself I'd like it any better cropped.

Aug 28, 2012 at 01:11 PM
eeneryma
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Suggestions to improve this?

Thanks for your thoughtful critique.

Aug 28, 2012 at 01:47 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Suggestions to improve this?

I agree with Doug about cropping some from the bottom. I'd also suggest reducing the noise and evening and neutralizing the color somewhat.

Aug 28, 2012 at 08:03 PM
eeneryma
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Suggestions to improve this?

Is it possible that it's noisy because I downsized the image so much? I don't remember the original image being noisy. I agree and will check it tonight on my computer at home. How would you go about evening out and neutralizing the color in photoshop?

Aug 28, 2012 at 08:52 PM
robertjm
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Suggestions to improve this?

Only thing I might definitely do would be to get rid of the bright white spot right in front of the boat's bow. What is that?

Besides that, as others have said, perhaps zooming in on the boat might help. Either way, the starkness is nice.

Aug 28, 2012 at 09:23 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Suggestions to improve this?

The easiest way to reduce and neutralize the color is to pull back the vibrance and saturation.

Aug 29, 2012 at 02:05 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

eeneryma
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Suggestions to improve this?

thanks for the suggestion, Robert. The white dot is a buoy that the boat is attached to. I will clone that out.

Aug 29, 2012 at 02:07 AM
eeneryma
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Suggestions to improve this?

Thanks Auntipode. I'll give it a try reducing vibrance and saturation.

Aug 29, 2012 at 02:10 AM
eeneryma
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Suggestions to improve this?

Here's an edit following up on suggestions you've all made. I cropped the bottom of the image, applied additional noise correction, removed the white buoy, and reduced vibrance and saturation each by -25.

eeneryma 2012

Solitary Boat edit

Aug 29, 2012 at 02:35 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Suggestions to improve this?

Consider more crop, heavier noise reduction and more desaturation:

Aug 29, 2012 at 03:29 AM
eeneryma
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Suggestions to improve this?

To Antipode:
Like what you did!! Will work on it tonight. Are you using the noise reduction feature in photoshop, or another program? If photoshop, what settings did you use? I went to filter, noise reduction, and put the setting on 100%, but didn't nearly get the noise reduction you have acheived.

Aug 29, 2012 at 12:53 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Suggestions to improve this?

I haven't tried PS CS6, but the noise reduction in CS5 has never impressed me. I used Topaz DeNoise5, but I suspect there are other options for noise removal as good or better. However, for this one at this size, the Reduce Noise function at 10, 20, 100, 13 (everything max'ed) should be almost adequate. In the following example, starting from your last posted image, note PS CS5 leaves more color noise and a little more luminance noise that the Topaz output. Applying it twice is better, but removes more wave detail. The second example shows it applied twice with the same vib/sat reduction as my previous post suggestion, but notice it will requite more vib/sat reduction to match my previous post's suggestion example because the color noise reduction isn't a large with the Reduce Noise CS5 function. This is why I use a third-party noise reduction program. CS6 my be better, but I haven't tried it.

PS CS5 Reduce Noise at 10, 20, 100, 13

Reduce Noise applied twice at 10, 20, 100, 13 & same vib/sat reduction as suggetsde

Aug 29, 2012 at 06:10 PM
eeneryma
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Suggestions to improve this?

To Antipode:
It seems that Topaz DeNoise does a better job of leaving more detail than CS5. Personal preference is what you did above with Topaz DeNoise. Is this a plug in for photoshop?
Also, I liked the way you further cropped my second attempt. I'm always trying to understand the dynamics of composition. Do you think this crop works better because the boat lies more in the photos diagonal axis?
Appreciate all your advice!!

Aug 29, 2012 at 07:08 PM
robertjm
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Suggestions to improve this?

I looked up Topaz DeNoise after Anti mentioned it. It's apparently a standalone program. OSX or Windows versions available. Costs $79. However, they say they have a 30 day, fully functional standalone version too.

http://www.topazlabs.com/denoise/

I'm thoroughly impressed with the differences in your photo. And they have a sample of a disc brake on their website, which really shows it working.

Aug 29, 2012 at 07:20 PM
eeneryma
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Suggestions to improve this?

Thanks for the link Robert. As I mentioned last week, I'm new to Fred Miranda and posting photos for critique. There's a wonderful vibe from this part of the Miranda website as well as the "wow" of learning how to improve one's photos.

Aug 29, 2012 at 07:30 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Suggestions to improve this?

I use Topaz as Photoshop plug-ins. It might also function stand-alone, but if so I've never used it that way.

In terms of composition, to be honest, I work by "it feels right". After the fact I can try to reason why a compo works or doesn't work, but I never compose by rules. After-the-fact, I suspect the crop works because the image is visually divided into a relatively lightweight featureless top half negative space and the bottom half which is the positive space. In the positive space the boat is well below the center of the positive space. If it is centered, it would be static. Below the center, in this case, it's more dynamic.

I suspect some study of Japanese visual ideas might help. I should put it on my list of to-dos: wabi-sabi, iki, shibumi, shibusa....

Aug 29, 2012 at 07:38 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password