Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Rock Volleyball

rolette
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Rock Volleyball

First day of school today, but the girls have already had 5 matches and a couple of scrimmage tournaments. Still shaking the rust after having the summer off, but here a few shots from the games before school started.

C&C on what I can do to improve is always appreciated.

http://rolette.smugmug.com/photos/i-97XvVm8/0/XL/i-97XvVm8-XL.jpg

http://rolette.smugmug.com/photos/i-nNmLbv4/0/XL/i-nNmLbv4-XL.jpg

http://rolette.smugmug.com/photos/i-9WW8pkt/0/XL/i-9WW8pkt-XL.jpg

http://rolette.smugmug.com/photos/i-ZdFchgP/0/XL/i-ZdFchgP-XL.jpg

http://rolette.smugmug.com/photos/i-CX7cg5w/0/XL/i-CX7cg5w-XL.jpg

http://rolette.smugmug.com/photos/i-3MZfTS3/0/XL/i-3MZfTS3-XL.jpg

http://rolette.smugmug.com/photos/i-tPckgFm/0/XL/i-tPckgFm-XL.jpg

Thanks,
Jay

Aug 27, 2012 at 06:53 PM
shaneroper
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Rock Volleyball

Looks like your shooting ambient? What is your settings and gear? I just shot about 12 matches Friday and Saturday all strobed...was first time shooting volleyball I skipped out on opening day of football to shoot the tournament. By the way I am from Austin graduated from Travis and many of my cousins went to Round Rock and Georgetown.
Nice images!
Shane

Aug 27, 2012 at 09:31 PM
rolette
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Rock Volleyball

Thanks, Shane. Always good to hear from local folks

Yes, these are all ambient. The EXIF data is intact, but these are all f/2.8, 1/640 - 1/800, ISO 6400 - 8000 on a 1D4 and a 300/2.8 or 70-200/2.8.

Jay

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:07 PM
lhryshko
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Rock Volleyball

Love the timing on 1, 2 and 4. You don't seem too rusty at all.

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:48 PM
CW100
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Rock Volleyball

great volleyball action set

Aug 28, 2012 at 05:19 AM
rolette
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Rock Volleyball

lhryshko wrote:
Love the timing on 1, 2 and 4. You don't seem too rusty at all.

My "rust" comment is probably more about my keeper rate. Volleyball is the toughest sport I shoot by far, but my keeper rate has definitely been lower the last couple of weeks than what I'm used to.

It also may be a matter of switching from primarily shooting freshman to primarily shooting JV and Varsity. Everything is a LOT faster and I haven't learned their plays just yet, so harder to anticipate.

Jay

Aug 28, 2012 at 06:15 AM
BillM_

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Rock Volleyball

Really nice. First few volleyball matches I am definitely full of rust. It should get easier as you shoot more varsity. It definitely moves faster but the ball will go to the intended spot much more often.

Aug 28, 2012 at 08:43 AM
rolette
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Rock Volleyball

BillM_ wrote:
Really nice. First few volleyball matches I am definitely full of rust. It should get easier as you shoot more varsity. It definitely moves faster but the ball will go to the intended spot much more often.

Good point

I noticed that when I switched from MS to HS freshman and there's a much bigger jump from freshman to varsity (or should I say there is a much larger decrease in randomness?).

Aug 28, 2012 at 09:01 AM
Ed Peters
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Rock Volleyball

I'm thinking your main problem at this time is the 1/640 sec. giving you a bit of motion blur? Any chance of getting some strobes installed (the quality of your shots should help convince the school to allow it)??

Aug 28, 2012 at 01:52 PM
rolette
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Rock Volleyball

Ed Peters wrote:
I'm thinking your main problem at this time is the 1/640 sec. giving you a bit of motion blur? Any chance of getting some strobes installed (the quality of your shots should help convince the school to allow it)??

It's likely that I could get permission to setup strobes, but that only helps for home games, so I've still got to deal with the gym lighting.

I did an experiment at Tuesday's game and bumped my SS up to 1/1000. Haven't had a chance to process them yet, but we'll see how the trade-off vs. higher ISO works out.

Aug 30, 2012 at 06:31 AM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Rock Volleyball

You don't need strobes. These look very good. Strobes just wind up being too much of a headache in the long run.

Aug 30, 2012 at 08:50 PM
shaneroper
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Rock Volleyball

Rolette, I shoot for CBS MAXPREPS and Jim Redman is the person in charge there and he was shooting the last Round Rock game at ISO 1600 and 1/400SS and said his images were coming out really good with only a hint of motion blur.

Aug 31, 2012 at 10:46 AM
rolette
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Rock Volleyball

Pretty sure I saw Jim at the RR vs Westlake game. I don't know him, but there was one photographer there with a MaxPreps shirt on, so I'm assuming it was him.

I checked out the gallery he posted from that game, but the MaxPreps site doesn't let you see the EXIF data on photos. The amount of motion blur I saw in his gallery varied from only a hint to a fair bit, but depended on the photo.

I still need to process my shots from that particular match.

Aug 31, 2012 at 11:04 AM
shaneroper
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Rock Volleyball

Yeah, and if you looked at the Maxpreps galleries they don't always do the photos justice but I was talking to him on Facebook and he told me his settings..for maxpreps they are very picky about the high ISO pictures and have to take the motion blur sometimes over high ISO. And yeah..if he had a maxpreps shirt on it was him, I told him you were probably there. He said there was another photog there shooting a 300 and I assumed that was you.

Aug 31, 2012 at 11:14 AM
rolette
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Rock Volleyball

Yep, that was me. There was one other photographer at that game (Henry Huey) shooting for the local paper, but he shoots Nikon and didn't have a 300 there.

I've seen up to 5 photographers shooting at the varsity game, which is fairly amazing to me for a non-playoff match. The norm is probably more like 2-3, but good to see interest in sports other than football and basketball.

Aug 31, 2012 at 12:22 PM
shaneroper
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Rock Volleyball

..EVERYONE is shooting sports these days cause they think they are going to make a killing..they might as well stat shooting weddings cause unless you have a killer marketing plan it just isn't going to happen..I have way more invested in my gear than what I am bringing in but it's ok with me..I love shooting sports and hate weddings!

Aug 31, 2012 at 12:56 PM
jmcaverly
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Rock Volleyball

Nice set of photos. I looks like you were able to move around and shoot from multiple locations. Very good stuff, really like your shots at the net.

Jeff

Sep 01, 2012 at 08:06 AM
rolette
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Rock Volleyball

Thanks much, Jeff.

I'm not what I'd call highly mobile during the matches... I tend to spend one set up high focused primarily on the front row. If I'm not having to dance around spectators, I'll split that set between shooting parallel to the net and the corner.

I'll shoot one set butt-on-the-floor focusing primarily on the back row, shooting from the base of the ref stand or by the scoring table (depending mostly on the backgrounds).

One set is shot from the floor again, but from behind the end-line, typically a couple of feet in from the sideline. Most of these are front row, but am occasionally able to get a few peekaboo shots of the middle and left back.

The rest of the sets (if any) depend on what my take has been during the game. I'll focus on players I don't have many shots of (either during that game or the overall season) or maybe try some typically less productive angles that *could* result in interesting shots if only I didn't have other players in the way. I guess that's a long way to say "fill in the holes or experiment"

Jay

Sep 02, 2012 at 09:23 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.