Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Lighting Systems

iseeq4life

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lighting Systems

I want to get some strobe lights for use at home or outside. It's all done for a hobby and making great family memories.

I understand lighting system is similar to camera system, each company has similar offering at different prices and quality.

I am looking at the Elinchrom D-Lite starter kits. Compared to Alienbee setup, the Elinchrom seems to be better value and lower in cost. I could be wrong

Anyone has any comments or what's good value for a lighting setup?

Aug 27, 2012 at 11:34 PM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lighting Systems

The search function came up with some good stuff.

strobes
AB
Elinchrom
lighting kit
etc

Same subject quite often.

Aug 27, 2012 at 11:37 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lighting Systems

iseeq4life wrote:
...I am looking at the Elinchrom D-Lite starter kits.

The D-Lite i.t. (Intelligent Triggering) has some nice features for that price range, including working with Speedlites or even the pop-up flash on your camera. It can be programed to ignore the preflashes from the camera so that it will fire in sync with the shutter, something most other optical-sensor-equiped strobes can't do.

As with all units in that price range, there are some issues with the build and such, but nothing major.

Aug 28, 2012 at 05:51 PM
nolaguy
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lighting Systems

I use the Elinchrom RX and BXRi monos but have considered picking up a couple of D-Lites for backups they do seem to be a good value. You should also be thinking about what modifiers you may eventually want (softboxes, beauty dish, umbrellas, etc).

As your title suggests, you're very much buying into a "system" and the mounting devices (i.e. the speedring that mounts a softbox to your strobe) are generally unique to the brand - to a degree locking you into that system. Over time you can end up spending more on modifiers than on the strobes themselves and the Eli modifiers are far more expensive than Buffs.

Buff also has an excellent reputation for customer service and repairs.

Good luck with your decision.

Aug 29, 2012 at 10:00 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password