Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Coming off injured reserve

JohnR84740
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Coming off injured reserve

Good evening all!

My 50th birthday blessed me with fairly major surgery on my cervical spine, and I spent the summer recuperating. The doctor has cleared me to work my way back to "normal levels of activity," and I am doing all the therapy and working out I can to get back to where I was or better.

My question is particularly for those who have tread this path before me. While I am certain that I am not the first to carry both a sports shooting kit and a cane onto a football field, I imagine the club is fairly small. (at least I hope so!) To those who have come back from a major surgery or injury to shoot again, what tips can you offer? How has an injury changed the way you go about working the game?

Some of the things that I noticed or tried this past Friday night:
1 -- I could not stay as low as I wanted for as long as I wanted, nor as close to the action as I had in the past.
2 -- I don't move nearly as much following the play. Stayed at or near the end zone most of the night. That also meant not making it up to the press box, locker rooms, maneuvering into place for jube shots or running over to get the cheerleaders, etc.
3 -- Resting at halftime was mandatory.
4 -- Carrying gear on a Spider belt is a survival technique (Think Tank pouches fit!)
5 -- And just so that we are clear, SAFETY FIRST: the cane is there "just in case," and not anywhere near the field of play. By the end of the game, I did need it to get to the car.

Look forward to hearing your survival techniques!

John

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:40 PM
lhryshko
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Coming off injured reserve

Sorry for not having any useful advice but here is wishing you a speedy recovery and kudos for making your comeback! Showing up is more than half the battle.

Aug 28, 2012 at 03:59 AM
Sports Shooter
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Coming off injured reserve

John
Never had back surgery but 2 open heart surgeries. You will find your body will continue to improve the more you shoot. Playing it safe as you seem to be doing at first is the right way to go.

I brought all my gear to the field. 24-70, 70-200, 300 2.8 and 400 2.8. Only take the 24-70 and 1 of the other 3 with me to the sideline.
Patieance is king at first. I worked between the 20 and 35 yard line with a trip to the end zone if a team was threating to score.
As my stamina improved I found I was far more mobile then presurgery. Shooting Soccer and Football became part of my rehab. DO NOT over do it at first.
Best of luck in the recovery
Mike

Aug 28, 2012 at 02:12 PM
JohnR84740
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · Coming off injured reserve

Great advice Mike ..... sounds a lot like what my doc, the therapists, and friends are telling me! Your open heart trumps my back any day of the week, and if you can make it back from that, it inspires me to know that getting all the way into the game is a real possibility. The extra gear I left near field included a camp stool in case I really needed to sit down!

lhry, thanks for the good wishes ... it really does take a whole community to help one heal.

Fortunately, the weather has been cooperating, and I only have to have enough umph to get through three games a week this season.

John

Aug 28, 2012 at 08:26 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password