Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Gitzo Series 5, 3 or 4 section tripod?

atodzia

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Gitzo Series 5, 3 or 4 section tripod?

I am considering getting a Gitzo series 5 tripod in the future and am wondering from users advantages / disadvantages of the 3 section GT5532LS versus the 4 section GT5542LS. I have been using a Gitzo carbon fiber series 1 tripod for the last 10 years and will keep it. It has 3 sections and is 1 inch shorter than the 3 section and 2 inches shorter than the 4 section. The height of it (58") has never been an issue. The 3 section is 24 inches when not extended and the 4 section is 27 inches. The 4 section extends 1 inch higher.

Andy

Aug 27, 2012 at 07:12 PM
Smiert Spionam
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Gitzo Series 5, 3 or 4 section tripod?

With a tripod of that size, I don't see any stability drawback to the 4-section. Even the smallest sections are a size larger than the outer tubes on your series 1.

Aug 27, 2012 at 07:18 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Gitzo Series 5, 3 or 4 section tripod?

I belive you got the numbers wrong. I don't belive the 4 sections is longer than the 3 sections when NOT extended. It's nearly always the opposite.
I have the 4 sections. And it's really stable and good

Aug 27, 2012 at 08:20 PM
atodzia

p.1 #4 · Gitzo Series 5, 3 or 4 section tripod?

You are correct. My mistake. The 3 section is 27 inches and the 4 section is 24 inches.

Aug 27, 2012 at 08:22 PM
peter_n
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · Gitzo Series 5, 3 or 4 section tripod?

atodzia wrote:
The 3 section is 24 inches when not extended and the 4 section is 27 inches.

That's odd; usually 4-section tripods are shorter than 3-section versions of the same model. FWIW I use a 4-section series-3 Gitzo and it's incredibly stable so I'm with the poster above and don't see a downside to a 4-section 5-series. You sure about those folded lengths? Edit: oops I see Lars beat me to it!

Edited on Aug 27, 2012 at 10:42 PM · View previous versions

Aug 27, 2012 at 08:28 PM
JohnJ
• • •
p.1 #6 · Gitzo Series 5, 3 or 4 section tripod?

You want a big tripod, get this, the 5 section alu. Gitzo.

I've been using one for about 15 years and can honestly say it's the most rigid/robust tripod I've ever come acrosss, possibly also the heaviest and most cumbersome. It's not fully extended in either of the pics below.

Anyway, slightly off topic...

Aug 27, 2012 at 09:34 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Steve Walker

p.1 #7 · Gitzo Series 5, 3 or 4 section tripod?

I have a gitzo gt5541ls (the older version of the 4 section tripod). I selected it because I thought it would give a bit more flexibility in packing, due to its shorter length.

I primarily use it to shoot with a 600mm f4 lens on a Wimberley head. It is a great combination. It is more than stable enough, surprisingly light for what it is, and very easy to use.

I seriously considered the 3 section, but am glad I went with the 4 section version.

I also considered the RRS 3 series tripods. At the time they were quite new and about impossible to get. Conversations with RRS at the time revealed they were designed with a maximum of a 500mm lens in mind. Without any compelling evidence they would adequately support a 600mm lens, I decided to go the safe route and get the Gitzo. Since that time, reports from others indicate the RRS 3 series does well with a 600mm lens. You might want to add that one to your considerations as well.

I am completely satisfied with the Gitzo gt5541ls.

Aug 27, 2012 at 11:08 PM
atodzia

p.1 #8 · Gitzo Series 5, 3 or 4 section tripod?

Are you glad you went with the 4 section version because of the size when folded? I am thinking about that versus dealing with having to extend one more section all the time.

Aug 27, 2012 at 11:35 PM
Steve Walker

p.1 #9 · Gitzo Series 5, 3 or 4 section tripod?

I like the 4 section because:
1. It is a solid enough platform for my needs, and then some
2. It is more compact, and easier to pack. I don't mean in a suitcase or for airline carry on. I mean in a car. I have a Gitzo 3 series with 3 sections, and the extra length of it is a pain to fit in the car with all the other stuff I take (I usually take both on road trips, one for the camera, the other for the spotting scope).

I found that extending all four sections is a breeze. I can grab all 3 locks with one hand. With a 1/4 turn rotation they are all released at once. Then I pull by the lower leg and all the leg sections for that leg extend at once. Then I separately lock all thee locks. I can't see where a 3 section leg would be significantly less effort. I was a bit concerned about this before purchasing it, but needlessly so.

I would not consider a 4 section tripod without the anti rotation locks. They make all the difference for efficient use.

Aug 28, 2012 at 12:01 AM
atodzia

p.1 #10 · Gitzo Series 5, 3 or 4 section tripod?

Thanks. That is very helpful user experience. I think I will go with the 4 section version when I can afford it.

Aug 28, 2012 at 01:25 AM
Steve Walker

p.1 #11 · Gitzo Series 5, 3 or 4 section tripod?

One thing to consider is that I have relatively large hands. I can grab all 3 locks on a collapsed leg at the same time. My wife certainly could not. Might want to see if you can find one in person to try out if you want to be confident you can efficiently extend all 4 leg segments as I described.

Good luck

Aug 28, 2012 at 02:53 AM
atodzia

p.1 #12 · Gitzo Series 5, 3 or 4 section tripod?

That's one concern I had but the nearest store doesn't have the series 5 on display. I might have to go into Boston. On my current old series 1 Gitzo even if I could loosen all three locks at the same time for some reason I never got into the habit of doing that.

Aug 28, 2012 at 03:42 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password