Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Hitech 10 Stop Filter - Is this artifact light leak?

rossimi1
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hitech 10 Stop Filter - Is this artifact light leak?

I recently shot some photos using a newly acquired Hitech 10 Stop 4x4 Filter (the older version before they included a gasket). The filter was held in place by a Lee Foundation holder and was attached to a Zeiss 21mm lens using the Lee 82mm WA adapter ring. While out in the field I realized I didn't have the cover for the viewfinder so on most shots I tried to drape a cloth over the eyepiece to stop as much light as possible. On most of the photos using the filter that day I can see a circular artifact such as the one at the bottom of the attached photo. The longer the exposure, the more pronounced the ring is. Is this light leak and is it more likely a result of the filter not having some felt or gasket around it? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Aug 27, 2012 at 11:00 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hitech 10 Stop Filter - Is this artifact light leak?

It appears to be a light leak in the filter. If it were the viewfinder, they entire photo would be affected, or in different spots if the drape was leaking.

Aug 27, 2012 at 02:16 PM
rossimi1
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hitech 10 Stop Filter - Is this artifact light leak?

Thank you for the input. Perhaps I will try making a gasket of sorts around the outside to better keep light from entering through the sides. Is the circular shape common?

Aug 27, 2012 at 02:32 PM
johnbirch

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hitech 10 Stop Filter - Is this artifact light leak?

I have had light leak through the viewfinder while using a 10-stop filter and it did not cover the entire frame. It affected the bottom left side of the photo. It was sort of circular. When I closed the shutter on the viewfinder on the D3S (I forgot to originally), the area affected cleaned up.

Aug 27, 2012 at 02:35 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.