Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Bear - Wolf - GBB

OwlsEyes
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bear - Wolf - GBB

The Canadian Rockies were good to me this July... for those looking for a great time to see grizzly and black bears up close and personal, visit Banff, Jasper, and Radium Hot Springs in late June into early July during the explosion of dandelions. Surprisingly, bears just love them!

4 Pics in the following order... Grizzly Bear, Timber Wolf, Black Bear, and GBB
All images: Canon 7D + 300 f2.8IS at f2.8-f4 all uncropped and processed in Aperture 3.x for web output.
thanks for looking,
bruce

Aug 26, 2012 at 10:29 PM
KCollett
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bear - Wolf - GBB

Good looking set! Love #3. Fluff adorned bear.

Aug 26, 2012 at 10:35 PM
eyelaser
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Bear - Wolf - GBB

Well, I must say you had a productive trip. All are pretty darn good and I like how you isolated the bears from the background with the shallow dof yet with excellent focus and sharpness. I am sorry to say I am emBEARassed about the last...but I guess that is how they got their name...that is grizzled fur I suppose on the bear's bottom. I always wrestle back and forth with leveling the shots...sometimes even when the animal was obviously walking up hill...so in this case accuracy trumps artistry (or something like that).
I would love to get some bear shots in the wild one of these days...I fully expect one to stroll into my backyard....I'm sure that will not make me very happy though.
Eric

Aug 26, 2012 at 10:42 PM
mlorenz26
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Bear - Wolf - GBB

Excellent set of shots. Looks like you had a successful trip out west. The 3rd one is my fav.

Matt

Aug 26, 2012 at 11:52 PM
thedutt
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Bear - Wolf - GBB

Outstanding shots. You must have been very close to get this tight a framing to these guys, not sure what #1's intentions were towards you and what your intentions were with #4 ;-).

Aug 27, 2012 at 12:32 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Bear - Wolf - GBB

Very nice Bruce. I like them all, but 3 stands out for me ~ Ron

Aug 27, 2012 at 01:59 AM
brian_sp
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Bear - Wolf - GBB

great set, #2 & 3 for me

Aug 27, 2012 at 02:00 AM
sdgnh
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Bear - Wolf - GBB

Very nice set, Bruce. I love the third shot. He looks so content.
Nancy

Aug 27, 2012 at 02:03 AM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Bear - Wolf - GBB

great set Bruce .. #3 for me also

Aug 27, 2012 at 08:12 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Bear - Wolf - GBB

Wonderful set Bruce ! Love 2 and 3.

Birdie

Aug 27, 2012 at 11:14 AM
OwlsEyes
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Bear - Wolf - GBB

Thank you to all who replied...
Just a bit of back story here. The wolf was a first for me. I have seen a few wolves in Alaska and Minnesota, but have yet to have a legitimate photo-opportunity. We were heading back from a long hike where we were photographing elk. As we made our way back to the campsite, I saw this wolf strolling along. At first I couldn't believe it and reacted slowly. As it approached, I grabbed the camera and just shot. I squeezed off 11 images total and got two that I liked. The wolf was trotting up hill and I did the best I could to keep it within the frame.

In response to "eyelaser," I tried leveling the shot but did not like the product... especially since I cut the rear leg off.

Once again, thanks for looking.
bruce

Aug 27, 2012 at 07:16 PM
Don Clary
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Bear - Wolf - GBB

I tried leveling the shot but did not like the product... especially since I cut the rear leg off.

Hi Bruce,
Do you have Photoshop CS5? It has a neat feature "content aware fill".

I took your picture, and did ruler>rotate arbitrary to level it. I used the rectangular marquee to crop it, leaving some white areas outside of your image to the left. That left a white triangle in the upper left. I enclosed that with the rectangular marquee, and did fill>content aware to paint in black. There was a white area lower left, where the road should be. I used patch tool to fill that in. No need to cut the leg.

Just say so and I'll delete my entry into your thread.

still 4 legs

Aug 27, 2012 at 08:32 PM
OwlsEyes
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Bear - Wolf - GBB

Don,
Thanks for working a bit of photoshop magic on this! I forgot about content aware fill... I like the way this looks and will play with it a bit this evening.

While it might not seem like the wolf was on an inclined hiking trail, if you look at the background (out of focus trees) you will see that they are near vertical..., but it is possible that I did shoot off the horizontal as I was panning the wolf. Sadly, this animal did not stop and give me a stare. I tried to get it to look at me, but no luck... it was following a scent and completely uninterested in my presence!

thanks again,
bruce

Aug 27, 2012 at 09:14 PM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Bear - Wolf - GBB

Very nice work Bruce I really like the comp of 1 & 3, with the fluff making 3 look downright silly. He sure looks like he got caught doing something he shouldn't have I must say the last is a first for me I'm looking forward to seeing more from this trip!

Tim

Aug 27, 2012 at 09:41 PM
CDaescher
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Bear - Wolf - GBB

Very nice captures, Bruce.
I agree with others, #3 in that field of dandelion is a winner.
Nice use of DOF in all of them.
Chris

Aug 28, 2012 at 08:21 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Bear - Wolf - GBB

An excellent quartet, Bruce.
And the black bear munching dandelions is worth a good smile. Few adult wild bears ever look "cute," but blackies somehow can pull it off.
Charlie

Aug 28, 2012 at 11:50 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Bear - Wolf - GBB

The wolf image is my pick

Morris

Aug 29, 2012 at 12:18 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password