Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Monitor for MacBook Pro (late 2011)

msdarkroom

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Monitor for MacBook Pro (late 2011)

I'm looking for an external monitor for my MBP.

I am considering these two:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/689879-REG/NEC_PA241W_BK_SV_MultiSync_PA241W_BK_SV_24_1_Widescreen.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/651901-REG/Eizo_CG243W_BK_ColorEdge_CG243W_24_1_Widescreen.html

My concern is that I do not get the full gamut and/or full ability of the monitor because of any limitations with the MBP and having to use the thunderbolt port to go to a mini displayport to convert to whatever else.

Does anybody have a monitor recommendation or know if the above units will work with a late 2011 MBP?

Thanks for the help.

-MS

Aug 26, 2012 at 02:15 PM
howardm4
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Monitor for MacBook Pro (late 2011)

it'll work fine (outstanding actually) and your 'concern' is totally unfounded. The gamut is a function of the monitor, not the MBP.

Aug 26, 2012 at 02:36 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Monitor for MacBook Pro (late 2011)

When you profile those monitors the changes are done in the monitors own lookup tables rather than on your graphics card lookup table and so there is no limit on colours caused by the computer. That would not be true of more down-market monitors.

Furthermore, you can profile your MBP screen independently of the external screen and have both running their own profiles simultaneously. This works for any two monitors using the graphics card in the Mac.

If you need your thunderbolt port for other things then you can get a NewerTechnology USB 2 to DVI adapter from OWC that will run your external monitor at its native 1920x1280 resolution.

- Alan

Aug 26, 2012 at 02:49 PM
Velu01
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Monitor for MacBook Pro (late 2011)

A Dell ultrasharp u2711 !?
However you have to work around it's high resolution.

Aug 26, 2012 at 03:33 PM
msdarkroom

p.1 #5 · Monitor for MacBook Pro (late 2011)

Thanks for the responses.

I'm a bit confused about the DVI adapter. The specs state:
Colors Supported 16.77 million from a palette of 68 billion via DVI or VGA and 1.07 billion from a palette of 68 billion via DisplayPort

Does that not mean that I will be limiting the performance of the monitior of I use a thunderbolt to DVI connector instead of a mini displayport to displayport cable?

Thanks for the help.

Aug 26, 2012 at 07:39 PM
Snoopy Lane

p.1 #6 · Monitor for MacBook Pro (late 2011)

Why are you worried about the DVI adapter? The monitors support DisplayPort inputs. Use that directly.

Aug 27, 2012 at 03:15 PM
Snoopy Lane

p.1 #7 · Monitor for MacBook Pro (late 2011)

To answer your question more directly: those monitors only do 30-bit color (i.e. the 1.whatever billion number) over the DisplayPort input. They are incapable of receiving 10-bit color over DVI. The only way to do that over DVI is with dual-link DVI, which these monitors do not support.

If 30-bit color is import to you then use DisplayPort. If you need to connect two computers to the display, then use DisplayPort on the computer that really needs it, and DVI on the other computer. Or just use DisplayPort and move the cable between multiple computers.

Aug 27, 2012 at 03:28 PM
msdarkroom

p.1 #8 · Monitor for MacBook Pro (late 2011)

Snoopy Lane wrote:
Why are you worried about the DVI adapter? The monitors support DisplayPort inputs. Use that directly.

I am concerned because of the DisplayPort Cable compatibility notice.

Last bullet point:
http://www.necdisplay.com/p/desktop-monitors/pa241w-bk

Aug 27, 2012 at 03:40 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Monitor for MacBook Pro (late 2011)

So spend the bucks and get a genuine Apple cord, or try different 3rd party ones it says some cords not all.

Aug 27, 2012 at 04:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Monitor for MacBook Pro (late 2011)

Snoopy Lane wrote:
To answer your question more directly: those monitors only do 30-bit color (i.e. the 1.whatever billion number) over the DisplayPort input. They are incapable of receiving 10-bit color over DVI. The only way to do that over DVI is with dual-link DVI, which these monitors do not support.

If 30-bit color is import to you then use DisplayPort. If you need to connect two computers to the display, then use DisplayPort on the computer that really needs it, and DVI on the other computer. Or just use DisplayPort and move the cable between multiple computers.

OP has a MBP he's not going to get 30bit output no matter what he dose.

Aug 27, 2012 at 04:18 PM
Snoopy Lane

p.1 #11 · Monitor for MacBook Pro (late 2011)

But that's not a problem unless you buy one of the incorrectly designed DisplayPort cables mentioned in the document. What I would do is contact MonoPrice, who makes excellent cables, and ask them about this issue and whether their cables are built correctly.

To contact them: http://www.monoprice.com/home/home.asp?pn=contact

And their cables are at http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10246. You'll want to scroll down to the "DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort Cables" section.

Aug 27, 2012 at 04:20 PM
msdarkroom

p.1 #12 · Monitor for MacBook Pro (late 2011)

WAYCOOL wrote:
So spend the bucks and get a genuine Apple cord, or try different 3rd party ones it says some cords not all.

Finding a genuine Apple cord is the issue. I do not think Apple makes one.

As for 30-bit output, is it basically a waste to get either of these monitors because I'm using a MacBook Pro?

My understanding was that some applications will output 10-bit, but I've also read that the MBP outputs 'millions of colors' which leads me to believe it's 8-bit only. Ideas?

Aug 27, 2012 at 04:36 PM
msdarkroom

p.1 #13 · Monitor for MacBook Pro (late 2011)

Snoopy Lane wrote:
But that's not a problem unless you buy one of the incorrectly designed DisplayPort cables mentioned in the document. What I would do is contact MonoPrice, who makes excellent cables, and ask them about this issue and whether their cables are built correctly.

To contact them: http://www.monoprice.com/home/home.asp?pn=contact

And their cables are at http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10246. You'll want to scroll down to the "DisplayPort to Mini DisplayPort Cables" section.

Good stuff. Thank you!!

Aug 27, 2012 at 04:43 PM
msdarkroom

p.1 #14 · Monitor for MacBook Pro (late 2011)

Just chatted with a B&H Apple guy to get some clarification on the bit-output that the MBP has.
B&H states that macs with thunderbolt can output 10-bits.

I'm not sure if they are correct or not.

Aug 27, 2012 at 04:52 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Monitor for MacBook Pro (late 2011)

OSX as well as the video chips in the MBP are at best 8bit and no matter what thunderbolt is capable is irrelevant it just won't do it.

Aug 28, 2012 at 02:06 AM
msdarkroom

p.1 #16 · Monitor for MacBook Pro (late 2011)

The rep at EIZO told me it would display in 10-bit. So did the guy at NEC I spoke with. And so did the B&H guy.

That being said, I think you are absolutely correct - OSX is 8-bit and that's that.

There is a ton of misinformation out there.

Aug 28, 2012 at 02:22 AM
matthewbmedia
• • •
p.1 #17 · Monitor for MacBook Pro (late 2011)

Just get a monitor with display port and use a displayport cable with a mini displayport adapter - avoid DVI

Aug 30, 2012 at 06:50 PM
mawyatt

p.1 #18 · Monitor for MacBook Pro (late 2011)

I went to local Best Buy and they had the new Apple 27" Thunderbolt display on sale for $950, also had a returned one in an open box for another $95 off, so $855. I took my MBP with me and plugged in the Thunderbolt connector. I needed to get a Magsafe 2 converter for the power connecting to the MBP, cost only $10.

Well the new Apple display was stunning, and the open box was fine (this is the one I checked on my MBP). So I now have a new display.

A couple things that are good about this display is it has the Thunderbolt cable, 3 USB ports, a pig tale magnetic power connector with green/orange LED from the TB cable, and 3 other ports that I'll have to download the manual to find out what they are for (Open Box didn't have a manual). It has pretty good speakers too. This is more like a docking station than just a monitor.

BTW my Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse work fine with this setup, so the MBP just sits closed under the display.

So for $855 maybe it's not that bad a deal!!

Sep 01, 2012 at 06:12 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password