Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Prairie Tree at Sunrise

Matt Anderson
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Prairie Tree at Sunrise

I pass this rural tree quite often. With Summer temperatures falling at night, the early morning fog is starting to appear again. This is a classic scene of Southern Wisconsin. Trees of character, grass plains rich with cobwebs, and a blanket of fog in the morning sunrise.

D800E
14-24 @ 24mm
f/8 2.5 Seconds
#Lucroit Filter Holder with a combo of filters I use quite often

Aug 26, 2012 at 01:54 PM
douter
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Prairie Tree at Sunrise

I like the added motion of the foreground grasses Matt.
Douglas

Aug 26, 2012 at 01:58 PM
JSPHOTOS
• • •
p.1 #3 · Prairie Tree at Sunrise

Wow! Terrific photograph Matt!

Are you happy with the Lucroit Filter Holder? I'm reading mixed reviews, especially for the price. I'm on the fence purchasing a 14-24 vs. Zeiss 21 and filters are holding me back. I really like using a B+W 110 on the Zeiss (had the lens not long ago and sold it) but there appears to be no option for the 14-24. PM if you would rather not pollute your thread. Thanks for any feedback.

Jim

Sep 04, 2012 at 03:10 AM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Prairie Tree at Sunrise

A great image. The fog creates a nice mood and the colors accentuate it.

Sep 04, 2012 at 03:13 AM
Steven Everitt
• • •
p.1 #5 · Prairie Tree at Sunrise

Lovely Image

Sep 04, 2012 at 12:14 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Prairie Tree at Sunrise

Hey Matt,

Very sweet! I like what you got here, really nice!

Jim

Sep 04, 2012 at 10:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Matt Anderson
• • •
p.1 #7 · Prairie Tree at Sunrise

JSPHOTOS wrote:
Wow! Terrific photograph Matt!

Are you happy with the Lucroit Filter Holder? I'm reading mixed reviews, especially for the price. I'm on the fence purchasing a 14-24 vs. Zeiss 21 and filters are holding me back. I really like using a B+W 110 on the Zeiss (had the lens not long ago and sold it) but there appears to be no option for the 14-24. PM if you would rather not pollute your thread. Thanks for any feedback.

Jim

The Lucroit filter holder is built well. Hytech / Formatt resin filters do have slight manufacturing variations of filter size ( as do all non circular filter manufacturers) . (Lucroit filter holder is setup for 165mm wide filters) I have 6 Hytech / Formatt resin filters. One of the six (a ten stop nd) is slightly under 165mm, I'm guessing 164.5mm. Only one of the six exhibit this. Because of this, the filter holder may have a bit of play with the filter. Secondly, using a very very dark filter like a 10x nd requires no light leaks around the filter. (longer exposures need more light leak control) The current version has a very slight light leak around the filter as it is now (only affecting very robust ND exposure) . But, they have engineered a very cool fix that I'm not at liberty to share ( I think), but will solve a few issues, that every filter holder suffers from. That said, I absolutely love the filter system. My fix to the nd light leak is simply everyday gaffers tape. I minimal tape line on the top, and the bottom, done. In fact, I have two holders, and I keep the taped ND filter on the holder at all times. It also keeps the filter clean and ready to go.

I haven't shot with the Zeiss 21mm. Frankly, I wouldn't want it. Specialty wide angles are too heavy and too limited for me to want to carry the extra weight. I have shot with other ZF family lenses. They are indeed exceptional lenses, but IMHO no better than pro Nikon zooms with robust technique and processing. (I'd argue the cost is high as well as the CA on fringe is high as well for such a cost)

The Lucroit filter system is larger and does attract some attention from fellow photographers I should state. (it looks like a LF setup from the front) It's easy to use, and the ability to use the system on my 77mm lenses via an adapter is huge.

I hope this helps.

Sep 06, 2012 at 01:12 AM
Jred
• • •
p.1 #8 · Prairie Tree at Sunrise

That is a nice shot.

John

Sep 06, 2012 at 02:17 AM
thw2
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Prairie Tree at Sunrise

Pretty

Sep 06, 2012 at 11:52 AM
JSPHOTOS
• • •
p.1 #10 · Prairie Tree at Sunrise

Matt - Thank you for the thorough review and information. I'm sure others will find this information very useful in making their decision too. Truly appreciated!

Sep 25, 2012 at 01:28 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · Prairie Tree at Sunrise

Love the shot! Yet just a little yellowy for me. When I went to school for design they always said yellow was generally an irritating color in nature.

Sep 26, 2012 at 02:02 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password