Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Soy milk

Wolfr

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Soy milk

Trying to improve my food photography.

This was with 2 speedlights in my living room, edit in Lightroom.

I used large white paper for the background, the upp background is a white wall which I lit with 1 speedlight.

This was a 1" exposure at F10 with a polarizing filter (-1.5 stops I believe).

It's soy milk that's why it's a bit yellow.

Shot with a D7000 and 50mm lens.

Aug 26, 2012 at 11:32 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Soy milk

Having attempted a similar shot yesterday, (I was trying to document some photo gear with a white backdrop and an on camera flash), I can appreciate how hard it is to do this sort of image.

Mine came out so bad I would not dare show it here, but yours looks fine to my untutored eyes.

Who would have thought to use a polarizer? To cut reflections I bet.

Aug 26, 2012 at 02:18 PM
Wolfr

p.1 #3 · Soy milk

Whenever there is glass involved I use the polarizer to try to control the reflections a bit, the table I shoot on is actually a glass table, often use it without the white paper.

It's a pretty table that has a glass sheet but wood underneath, you can see it in these pictures:

Aug 26, 2012 at 09:09 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Soy milk

Nicely done. The only time I need to do this stuff is when I am selling gear or preparing a how to do it thing for my web page. Always nice to have a more professional look.

The only light I own is a flash so that is a limitation. But I could use your examples how they ought to look.

Aug 26, 2012 at 09:39 PM
Keylight

p.1 #5 · Soy milk

really nice. with your compositions though - try cropping to imply the whole scene rather than having to include it all.

Aug 28, 2012 at 02:26 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Soy milk

I quite like the milk shot. The yellow cast makes it look like yummy cream. You might consider a compo with the glass slightly closer to the camera. Might also possibly be very slightly better if the bubbles settle. Another nit, you might retouch a couple of places on the ridge on the neck.

Another possibility to consider, make a duplicate layer and use multiply bend mode at perhaps 30% opacity:

Edited on Aug 29, 2012 at 02:50 AM · View previous versions

Aug 29, 2012 at 02:41 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Soy milk

Like the berries, to, BTW.

Aug 29, 2012 at 02:48 AM
Wolfr

p.1 #8 · Soy milk

Thanks for the feedback!

Aug 29, 2012 at 06:03 AM
Wolfr

p.1 #9 · Soy milk

Here's a new one, trying pure black background now. Not 100% happy with it, the reflections (on the bottle itself) are not what I'm looking for. The "glass" reflection was added in Photoshop.

I have 2 speedlights and 2 umbrellas so not a lot of ways to "direct" light.

Aug 29, 2012 at 06:08 AM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Soy milk

Straight record shot look. A bit two dimensional and not too interesting. What's the intended use for the image. Is it for a product catalog or for advertising? If advertising, it probably would be better to make the product more inviting.

Aug 29, 2012 at 06:49 AM
Wolfr

p.1 #11 · Soy milk

AuntiPode wrote:
Straight record shot look. A bit two dimensional and not too interesting. What's the intended use for the image. Is it for a product catalog or for advertising? If advertising, it probably would be better to make the product more inviting.

Good point. This was lighting practice. No real shoot.

Intended use is advertising, a more interesting angle would indeed be better.

Sep 08, 2012 at 10:11 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · Soy milk

Wolfr wrote:
I have 2 speedlights and 2 umbrellas so not a lot of ways to "direct" light.

Your creative use of your glass/table/paper ... suggest otherwise.

A little creativity to "reflect" some of that stray indirect light can afford you some "direction" without the need for "more lights".

Foam core, white cards, mirrors can help "kick" some light into areas of your choosing.

Sep 08, 2012 at 03:03 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password