Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Seattle area suggestions

jctriguy
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Seattle area suggestions

Hello,

I'm going to be in the Seattle/Vancouver area for 3-4 days in late September. Just wondering if any of the experienced Seattle area FMers have some suggestions on good places to go and what I'm likely to be able to find at this time of year.

I checked out Glazer's and they seem to have an amazing rental department and some great prices on lens rentals. I was thinking that if I can get to some good spots for wildlife shooting that it would make sense to try out a longer lens (400-600 range). I'm maxed out at 70-200 right now.

Thanks,
James

Aug 26, 2012 at 07:04 AM
squirl033
• •
p.1 #2 · Seattle area suggestions

if you're a wildlife shooter, there aren't a whole lot of places in the Seattle area. it's too urbanized. there are a couple of places not too far away that are decent for birding, but that's really about it. you might try Juanita Bay Park in Kirkland - i've gotten tons of nice bird shots there, though September isn't the best time of year for them. you might find eagles, osprey, herons, and probably some late summer migratory birds there. the Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge, located just off I-5 about 20 minutes south of Tacoma, also offers some opportunities, mostly migratory and "tweety" birds, but occasionally otter, raptors and owls. again, there's a lot more activity in spring than fall, but not a bad spot. the Skagit flats up near Mt Vernon isn't bad... there are often raptors and owls up there, as well as migratory birds.

Aug 26, 2012 at 06:40 PM
jctriguy
• • •
p.1 #3 · Seattle area suggestions

squirl033 wrote:
if you're a wildlife shooter, there aren't a whole lot of places in the Seattle area. it's too urbanized. there are a couple of places not too far away that are decent for birding, but that's really about it. you might try Juanita Bay Park in Kirkland - i've gotten tons of nice bird shots there, though September isn't the best time of year for them. you might find eagles, osprey, herons, and probably some late summer migratory birds there. the Nisqually National Wildlife Refuge, located just off I-5 about 20 minutes south of Tacoma, also offers some opportunities, mostly
...Show more

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll take a look at those. I will be driving down from Vancouver so I'm happy to stop along the way. I have a few days before/after a conference so I'm not making a special trip to Seattle, just trying to get somewhere different while I'm fairly close.

Aug 26, 2012 at 06:47 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Seattle area suggestions

Hi James. I live in Seattle and shoot within the city limits more often than not. Late September is one of the slowest times of year around here but you can find something. If you are staying within city limits Discovery Park can be good spot. The south meadow should yield you grassland birds. Work your way down to the lighthouse area and you may find some peeps, all sorts of gulls, bald eagles and other raptors. If you are adventurous you can rent a kayak and head out on to Lake Washington. If you feel like doing that send me PM and I can give you details on that. Golden Gardens is a beach within the city, if you catch low tide there that can be productive. You can also sign up for the local birding email list. I get lots of tips on this list, here is the addy in case you want to do that. http://www.scn.org/tweeters/

Tim

Aug 26, 2012 at 10:13 PM
jctriguy
• • •
p.1 #5 · Seattle area suggestions

Thanks for the suggestions Tim. I was sort of thinking it would be a slow time in the area. Maybe I'll see about combining some urban shooting with a little wildlife in the parks.

James

Aug 26, 2012 at 10:19 PM
B Benson
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Seattle area suggestions

James, What are your exact dates? I am leaving for Germany the 22nd, but if you are here before then, I would be happy to show you around a few places I go. You would be welcome to use my 400 2,8 or 800 lens and save a few bucks on renting. As Tim said it is not the best time here, but you can always find something. Bruce

Aug 29, 2012 at 03:40 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password