Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · kit lens try

hypotyposis

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · kit lens try

Hi all,

I was just messing around and trying to play with settings and composition with my 18-55mm kit lens. Any suggestions, feedback, alterations I can do? I have photoshop elements as well. Thanks in advance!

Priscilla

Aug 26, 2012 at 01:28 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · kit lens try

Hey, first a welcome to FM and Critique-Land, Priscilla.

I like it. Its carefully framed. The DOF works well for me. Not too shallow but still with some fade to the sharpness. Colors look good.
I think you might bump the contrast a bit, possibly lighten the floor (?). Also, not sure if the color temp is correct. What kind of lighting? What color is the floor?

Scott

Aug 26, 2012 at 01:33 AM
hypotyposis

p.1 #3 · kit lens try

Thank you, Scott! How would I go about lightening only the floor? It's actually a counter that I would describe as an off-white.

Aug 26, 2012 at 01:49 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · kit lens try

+1 @ Welcome to FM and the PC Forum.

I'm diggin' the formal graphic hard lines mixed with the organic & soft elements of the stones. Also, diggin' the "message" and the scale to draw & hold the viewer at your point.

Lot of good things going on here with the comp/shot. Could use a little cleanup in some of the various background areas, but still an attractive piece.

Again, Welcome to the FM and the PC Forum.

Aug 26, 2012 at 01:51 AM
robertjm
• • •
p.1 #5 · kit lens try

Nice composition overall.

I might've either opened up the depth so that "reflect" was in focus, or made it even more shallow, if possible (you didn't say what your settings were) so that "reflect" was totally out of focus, which would draw your eyes even more to "inspire."

Also, there's something in the upper right-hand corner. Either a hair, or a wire? Thought should be cloned out, as it's distracting.

Aug 26, 2012 at 02:36 AM
hypotyposis

p.1 #6 · kit lens try

RustyBug wrote:
+1 @ Welcome to FM and the PC Forum.

I'm diggin' the formal graphic hard lines mixed with the organic & soft elements of the stones. Also, diggin' the "message" and the scale to draw & hold the viewer at your point.

Lot of good things going on here with the comp/shot. Could use a little cleanup in some of the various background areas, but still an attractive piece.

Again, Welcome to the FM and the PC Forum.

Thanks for the welcome! How would you suggest cleaning up the background areas?

Aug 26, 2012 at 02:42 AM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · kit lens try

Welcome to the forum. Good advice already. My only addition might to add more space at the top.

Aug 26, 2012 at 02:43 AM
hypotyposis

p.1 #8 · kit lens try

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! Any input on the depth in terms of, in my opinion, leading to nowhere? I feel like especially how the tray is framing the picture, that the focus goes to the back wall, which has nothing there.

Aug 26, 2012 at 02:55 AM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · kit lens try

Priscilla,
What program(s) do you use to process? Someone may be able to give you specific help about the lightening, cleanup then.
Scott

Aug 26, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · kit lens try

I was thinking that if you crop the top just a smidgeon to eliminate the thin counter background line at the top ... it wouldn't be a "leading to nowhere" ... rather, leading to infinity (i.e. infinite possibilities out of reflection & inspiration.

Aug 26, 2012 at 12:25 PM
hypotyposis

p.1 #11 · kit lens try

sbeme wrote:
Priscilla,
What program(s) do you use to process? Someone may be able to give you specific help about the lightening, cleanup then.
Scott

Scott, I have photoshop elements 10

Aug 26, 2012 at 11:42 PM
hypotyposis

p.1 #12 · kit lens try

RustyBug wrote:
I was thinking that if you crop the top just a smidgeon to eliminate the thin counter background line at the top ... it wouldn't be a "leading to nowhere" ... rather, leading to infinity (i.e. infinite possibilities out of reflection & inspiration.

Great suggestion, thank you! I've done those changes but still feel strange about how it looks haha.

Aug 26, 2012 at 11:43 PM
hypotyposis

p.1 #13 · kit lens try

Here's what I have...

Aug 27, 2012 at 12:57 AM
the888account
• •
p.1 #14 · kit lens try

I'd consiser (some of these already covered above):

- Upping the contrast to give it some "punch"
- Could possibly drop the shadows / black a little, just to give the lightness of the colours something to work against (again, its giving it a touch more "punch"
- You mention the counter is off white, whereas in the image its beige. I'd try to replicate the counter colour by tweaking the white balance (unless its of course beige!)
- Possibly up the blue's, just to give the stones a bit more "zing" against the predominatly brown container, pebbles and background.

Just minor adjsutments I think, nothing too mad!

Good work with the Kit Lens and welcome aboard FM.

Aug 28, 2012 at 04:32 PM
hypotyposis

p.1 #15 · kit lens try

the888account wrote:
I'd consiser (some of these already covered above):

- Upping the contrast to give it some "punch"
- Could possibly drop the shadows / black a little, just to give the lightness of the colours something to work against (again, its giving it a touch more "punch"
- You mention the counter is off white, whereas in the image its beige. I'd try to replicate the counter colour by tweaking the white balance (unless its of course beige!)
- Possibly up the blue's, just to give the stones a bit more "zing" against the predominatly brown container, pebbles and background.

Just minor adjsutments I think,
...Show more

Thanks for the feedback! I'll probably end up re-taking the shot, playing around with the lighting and taking into consideration your suggestions.

Aug 28, 2012 at 11:55 PM
the888account
• •
p.1 #16 · kit lens try

Bit late ( (work mental), but this is what I had in mind using the steps I gave above.

- Have tried to whiten the backgroud to give an "off white" rather than yellowy background (total guess here, as I dont know what the background is!). Tweak the white balance to do this

- Increased Constrast to give it some punch

- Darkened the shadows touch and upped the highlights a touch, to help the "light vs dark" contrast a bit

- Increased the vibrancance, to help the blues out

- Looked a little dull then, so I increased the exposure a smidge

Last thing I spotted, but didnt fix, is the top right "squiggle". Probably something on your lens? Just clone it out

Aug 30, 2012 at 08:52 PM
hypotyposis

p.1 #17 · kit lens try

the888account wrote:
Bit late ( (work mental), but this is what I had in mind using the steps I gave above.

- Have tried to whiten the backgroud to give an "off white" rather than yellowy background (total guess here, as I dont know what the background is!). Tweak the white balance to do this

- Increased Constrast to give it some punch

- Darkened the shadows touch and upped the highlights a touch, to help the "light vs dark" contrast a bit

- Increased the vibrancance, to help the blues out

- Looked a little dull then, so I increased the exposure a smidge

Last thing I
...Show more

Thanks so much for the changes and explanations! And I hadn't even noticed that squiggle until people in this discussion brought it up... it's these random designs on the counter, though distracting.

Aug 31, 2012 at 06:03 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password