New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              27      
       end

Archive 2012 · How noisy is your 7D?

Jeff Nolten
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.28 #1 · p.28 #1 · How noisy is your 7D?

But Team, the 7D is an action camera. One is always pushing shutter speed. I don't think I've seen a similar thread about the 60D.

Aug 09, 2013 at 10:35 AM
brimull
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.28 #2 · p.28 #2 · How noisy is your 7D?

The 7D at ISO 3200 using Romy's NR suggestions (Photoshop CC) from early in this thread and some later sharpening. I did add a little additional NR in the water (Topaz Denoise).

Aug 09, 2013 at 12:10 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.28 #3 · p.28 #3 · How noisy is your 7D?

Picked up a used 7D recently; an upgrade for my trusty 40D, this thread is fantastic; I've only read 3 pages so far, great images/examples and tons of great info, thank you all. I'll have to note your PP workflows and NR/software suggestions, and put them work

Cheers everyone!
Jerry

Aug 09, 2013 at 01:14 PM
StarNut
• • • •
p.28 #4 · p.28 #4 · How noisy is your 7D?

brimull wrote:
The 7D at ISO 3200 using Romy's NR suggestions (Photoshop CC) from early in this thread and some later sharpening. I did add a little additional NR in the water (Topaz Denoise).

That's really a dramatic illustration of how good the camera can be, in the right hands (including PP skill). Could you briefly outline what steps you used for noise reduction/sharpening, so that perhaps others could duplicate it?

Thanks!

Mark

Aug 30, 2013 at 11:20 AM
brimull
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.28 #5 · p.28 #5 · How noisy is your 7D?

StarNut wrote:
That's really a dramatic illustration of how good the camera can be, in the right hands (including PP skill). Could you briefly outline what steps you used for noise reduction/sharpening, so that perhaps others could duplicate it?

Thanks!

Mark

Thank you, Mark. Sticking strictly with sharpening and noise reduction, as I recall I opened RAW (Photoshop CC) and processed the RAW image using these settings (courtesy of Romy):

Luminance NR = 25
Luminance Detail = 80
Luminance Contrast = 0
Color NR = 25
Color Detail = 50

I left the sharpening to the default setting.

On the subsequent converted JPEG, I selected the duck and in Layers menu chose New: Layer via Copy and then used the New: Layer from Background for the rest of the image. For the background I used Topaz DeNoise on JPEG light or moderate setting and moved back to the Layer via copy to sharpen the duck using Smart Sharpen between 50 - 100% in this case, Radius: 0.5 px, Reduce Noise: 10%, and Remove: Gaussian. Then I flatten the layers.

I'm FAR from a PP guru, so I borrow suggestions from others and try to keep it in a simple format that I'm used to, including the tried and true "trial and error" method. There are probably better ways, but this is an approximation of what I do with many images of this type. Sometimes I use Neat Image on the advice of another FMer, and that can effectively do the JPEG's noise reduction and selective sharpening in one step, which saves time. This image was less difficult than some because of its relatively smooth background (water) and sharply defined main subject (duck).

Brian M.

Aug 30, 2013 at 12:11 PM
StarNut
• • • •
p.28 #6 · p.28 #6 · How noisy is your 7D?

Thanks very much!

Aug 30, 2013 at 12:53 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.28 #7 · p.28 #7 · How noisy is your 7D?

A recently picked up used 7D and it is sitting in my bag, it's been quite silent, hasn't made any noise so far, but I'm assuming it will once it's used...just like all digital cameras do

Aug 30, 2013 at 03:37 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.