New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              19      
       21              27       28       end

Archive 2012 · How noisy is your 7D?

Rusty1
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.20 #1 · p.20 #1 · How noisy is your 7D?

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Given that Canon has now dropped it's opposition to putting 1 series class AF in pro-sumer models I fully expect to see a crop camera with the new AF in due course. I agree 7D AF while overall better than what came before still suffers some weird inconsistencies in performance I've never been able to work out - one minute infallible the next unable to focus. The 5D III is far more consistent and I haven't even tried the different servo options yet. A 7D with 5D III AF, and improved noise would be a wonderful wildlife tool.

From your lips to Canons ears

Sep 06, 2012 at 09:27 PM
StarNut
• • • •
p.20 #2 · p.20 #2 · How noisy is your 7D?

Pixel Perfect wrote:
A 7D with 5D III AF, and improved noise would be a wonderful wildlife tool.

Sure would. And I can't wait to read all the whining there would be here about the price....

Sep 06, 2012 at 09:37 PM
Charles Gallo
• • •
p.20 #3 · p.20 #3 · How noisy is your 7D?

In any group of folks as large as this forum, you'll find people to complain about anything and everything

Sep 06, 2012 at 09:42 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.20 #4 · p.20 #4 · How noisy is your 7D?

uz2work wrote:
...there are plenty of us who have just as much, probably more, experience using the 7D and who have come to just the opposite conclusion.

Which is fine; I'm not arguing conclussions here. I'm just pointing out that you claimed that PetKal must be basing his opinion on an Internet myth, when in point of fact he had clearly stated that his conclusions were based on his direct experience...which is just as valid for him as your experience is for you.

It may just be his choice of subjects and environments, it may be an aberrant camera, it may be user error, whatever...but your statement was condescending and factually incorrect.

Sep 06, 2012 at 09:53 PM
uz2work
• • • • • •
p.20 #5 · p.20 #5 · How noisy is your 7D?

BrianO wrote:
Which is fine; I'm not arguing conclussions here. I'm just pointing out that you claimed that PetKal was basing his opinion on an Internet myth, when in point of fact he had clearly stated that his conclusions were based on his direct experience...which is just as valid for him as your experience is for you.

It may just be his choice of subjects and environments, it may be an aberrant camera, it may be user error, whatever...but your statement was condescending and factually incorrect.

His statement comes with more than just an implication that there is something inherent about the 7D that makes it so that it can only perform well in situations where there is close proximity to the subject. I think that the two examples that I posted show that this is clearly not the case, and, thus, I do consider any statement that tries to make the point that close proximity to the subject is needed for success with the 7D to be myth, regardless of how someone came to believe that.

Les

Sep 06, 2012 at 09:58 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.20 #6 · p.20 #6 · How noisy is your 7D?

StarNut wrote:
Sure would. And I can't wait to read all the whining there would be here about the price....

I'd gladly pay $2.5K if it delivers. Beats spending $6.7K on a 1D X and far more useful for wildlife IMO, especially if you don't own an 800L

Sep 06, 2012 at 10:12 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.20 #7 · p.20 #7 · How noisy is your 7D?

uz2work wrote:
His statement has comes with more than just an implication that there is something inherent about the 7D that makes it so that it can only perform well in situations where there is close proximity to the subject. I think that the two examples that I posted show that this is Llearly not the case, and, thus, I do consider any statement that tries to make the point that close proximity to the subject is needed for success with the 7D to be myth, regardless of how someone came to believe that.

Les

Les, I'd say that "clarity" of yours is a bit of a subjective thing. I do not wish to start getting critical now, as I have managed to avoid doing that all along in this uncommonly tedious, verbose, circular and humourless/sourpuss thread so far, but please note that someone can take your very photo examples as a "clear" illustration that 7D is lacking when it comes to long range shots.

Sep 06, 2012 at 10:14 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.20 #8 · p.20 #8 · How noisy is your 7D?

Pixel Perfect wrote:
I'd gladly pay $2.5K if it delivers. Beats spending $6.7K on a 1D X and far more useful for wildlife IMO, especially if you don't own an 800L

If they do not escalate the resolution too much at the expense of ISO noise performance again, then I agree that such a camera would become a hot item.

Sep 06, 2012 at 10:19 PM
uz2work
• • • • • •
p.20 #9 · p.20 #9 · How noisy is your 7D?

PetKal wrote:
Les, I'd say that "clarity" of yours is a bit of a subjective thing. I do not wish to start getting critical now, as I have managed to avoid doing that all along in this uncommonly tedious, verbose, circular and humourless/sourpuss thread so far, but please note that someone can take your very photo examples as a "clear" illustration that 7D is lacking when it comes to long range shots.

Then show me shots taken with another camera where the subject fills that little of the original frame because of lack of proximity to the subject and the amount of detail/sharpness is any better. I've provided two examples from the 7D with both the original image and with crops from those original images, one where the subject was probably 1/4 of a mile away and the other where the subjects were 2 miles (or more) away. I'd like to see similar examples from other cameras also with both the full original image and crops from those original images.

Also, putting a smiley at the end of your sentence does not make your contribution any less "tedious, verbose, circular and humourless/sourpuss" than it would be without the smiley.

Les

Edited on Sep 06, 2012 at 10:40 PM · View previous versions

Sep 06, 2012 at 10:28 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.20 #10 · p.20 #10 · How noisy is your 7D?

PetKal wrote:
If they do not escalate the resolution too much at the expense of ISO noise performance again, then I agree that such a camera would become a hot item.

Take it with a big bucket of salt, but rumours are stating 7D II will have 24MP sensor, but it apparently is much better than current 18MP offerings for noise. If true, it would mean Canon have made a huge advance in sensor tech. I would be very nervous if they did increase much past 18MP, but given Sony, Nikon and soon Pentax have 24MP APS-C sensors Canon will no doubt go past 20MP.

Sep 06, 2012 at 10:33 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.20 #11 · p.20 #11 · How noisy is your 7D?

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Take it with a big bucket of salt, but rumours are stating 7D II will have 24MP sensor, but it apparently is much better than current 18MP offerings for noise. If true, it would mean Canon have made a huge advance in sensor tech.

Since the rumor mill is also suggesting a soon-to-be-released Canon full-frame DSLR in the 40+ megapixel range, a 24MP APS-C sensor sounds plausible.

Sep 06, 2012 at 10:37 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.20 #12 · p.20 #12 · How noisy is your 7D?

Here is my list of what I'd like to see in 7MkII.

(1) 61 Pt. reticular AF system......very desireable
(2) reduce shutter/mirror lag.......desireable
(3) increase resolution.......OK as long as it doesn't cause problems elsewhere.
(4) ISO......more emphasis on noise control in the range 100-800.
(5) FPS......although 8 is adequate in my view, 10 would be perfect for those special moments.
(6) AF pt. display.......make it good again like in the older cameras.
(7) Joystick AF pt. change......I like the joystick just that they should implement a fast sweep, rather than having to move the AF pt. selection one joystick click/one AF point at a time.

The price ? A valley of tears again.

Sep 06, 2012 at 10:55 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.20 #13 · p.20 #13 · How noisy is your 7D?

PetKal wrote:
Here is my list of what I'd like to see in 7MkII.

(1) 61 Pt. reticular AF system......very desireable
(2) reduce shutter/mirror lag.......desireable
(3) increase resolution.......OK as long as it doesn't cause problems elsewhere.
(4) ISO......more emphasis on noise control in the range 100-800.
(5) FPS......although 8 is adequate in my view, 10 would be perfect for those special moments.
(6) AF pt. display.......make it good again like in the older cameras.
(7) Joystick AF pt. change......I like the joystick just that they should implement a fast sweep, rather than having to move the AF pt. selection one joystick click/one AF point at a time.

The
...Show more

Sounds about perfect, but come Peter, those would be crocodile tears from the man who owns most if not all of the BWL's

Sep 06, 2012 at 11:09 PM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.20 #14 · p.20 #14 · How noisy is your 7D?

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Sounds about perfect, but come Peter, those would be crocodile tears from the man who owns most if not all of the BWL's

Yes, but my camera price tolerance is low, plus the 1DX purchase has left me emotionally scarred for good. Should have bought 5DMkIII.......much less traumatic.

Should Canon narrow the performance/feature gap between 7D MkII and 1D series, they will also narrow the price difference accordingly. Would there be a sufficiently strong market for a $3,500 7DMkII ?

Sep 06, 2012 at 11:38 PM
Jeff
• • • • • •
p.20 #15 · p.20 #15 · How noisy is your 7D?

PetKal wrote:
Should Canon narrow the performance/feature gap between 7D MkII and 1D series, they will also narrow the price difference accordingly. Would there be a sufficiently strong market for a $3,500 7DMkII ?

I say it'll be $2500, with existing 7D AF. If they do put this top-o-the-line AF in it, between $3k and 3.5 seems like what Canon would do.

Sep 06, 2012 at 11:49 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.20 #16 · p.20 #16 · How noisy is your 7D?

PetKal wrote:
Yes, but my camera price tolerance is low, plus the 1DX purchase has left me emotionally scarred for good. Should have bought 5DMkIII.......much less traumatic.

It will never be $3.5K if it's a 1.6x crop and there's no point in it being FF and they won't use the 1.3x sensor.

But it should designed as a prosumer replacement for the 1D IV.

Sep 07, 2012 at 01:09 AM
jj_glos
• • •
p.20 #17 · p.20 #17 · How noisy is your 7D?

Scales are easier to deal with than feathers or fur

Bristol Zoo 2012 by jj_glos, on Flickr

ISO 4000

Sep 12, 2012 at 06:41 AM
jj_glos
• • •
p.20 #18 · p.20 #18 · How noisy is your 7D?

ISO 6400

Bristol Zoo 2012 by jj_glos, on Flickr

Sep 14, 2012 at 06:08 AM
aznature
• •
p.20 #19 · p.20 #19 · How noisy is your 7D?

I own the 7D for few years which replaced the 1D Mark IIn.
noise is not the issue. Acutance is.
Great resolution and sharpness but poor Edge definition in 100%
With the right lighting and post possessing you may get lucky sometimes
My 7D was taken away from the bag and pushed into the closet
I replaced it with the 1d mark III and I am very happy with this move
I am tired of great images on the camera LCD and poor on the big screen

Sep 14, 2012 at 08:21 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.20 #20 · p.20 #20 · How noisy is your 7D?

aznature wrote:
I own the 7D for few years which replaced the 1D Mark IIn.
noise is not the issue. Acutance is.
Great resolution and sharpness but poor Edge definition in 100%

I replaced it with the 1d mark III and I am very happy with this move
I am tired of great images on the camera LCD and poor on the big screen

yeah 'cos thats always the answer. dont like 18mp on a smaller sensor @ 100% then replace it with less pixels over a larger area and still view @100%

why bother? 100% is just for checking . It bares no relation to the WHOLE image .

the mk3 is a fine camera , but if you veiwed it at the equal resolution as the 7D (way over 100%) then i bet you wouldnt like that either .

I never bothered with my Mk2n , as I found images in Higher ISO to be worse (when viewng the whole image on screen) and it left me no cropping room when I was even more reach limited than with the 7D.
The only thing it did better was BIF. I found the AF on the 'n handled that better. anything else and the 7D did just as well or better

Sep 14, 2012 at 11:54 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.