Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Is the "perfect" lens coming?

surfnron
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Is the "perfect" lens coming?

A friend sent me this link:

http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/25/harvard-makes-distortion-free-lenses-from-gold-and-silicon/

Ron

Aug 25, 2012 at 11:51 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #2 · Is the "perfect" lens coming?

This is potentially something we (at my university) are also interested in, but it would only be restricted for high end instruments such as electron microscopes (>$500,000 USD).

The timeline for even realization for such a technology would be about 15-20 years to be frank

Aug 26, 2012 at 12:39 AM
dcains
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Is the "perfect" lens coming?

Don't electron microscopes (both SEM and TEM) use magnetic (rather than optical) "lenses"?

Aug 26, 2012 at 02:12 AM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #4 · Is the "perfect" lens coming?

Systems such as electron microscopes have multiple elements for multiple usage, no one will buy a single use microscope these days. As far as I know, the glass optics are used extensively in the detectors as well as the in built camera (the one where you see your sample in real size scale), the latter being where these "perfect lenses" will come handy.

The magnetic condenser lenses are more with how the actual hi-mag images are taken.

Aug 26, 2012 at 03:25 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

15Bit
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Is the "perfect" lens coming?

vsg28 wrote:
Systems such as electron microscopes have multiple elements for multiple usage, no one will buy a single use microscope these days. As far as I know, the glass optics are used extensively in the detectors as well as the in built camera (the one where you see your sample in real size scale), the latter being where these "perfect lenses" will come handy.

The magnetic condenser lenses are more with how the actual hi-mag images are taken.

The built-in optical camera is generally just a basic camera for sample positioning and is little more than a webcam with vacuum tightness. The detectors don't use glass optics either, as they are detecting electrons rather than photons. No focusing is required at the detector end anyway as that is done via control of the beam with the condenser lenses. None of the normal EM addons (Element analysis, Electron Diffraction, Cathodoluminescence, electron spectroscopies) work in the optical range either.

Thats not to say that these lenses aren't exciting, just not so much for current electron microscope technologies i think.

Aug 26, 2012 at 09:23 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Is the "perfect" lens coming?

slightly larger battery to operate

Aug 26, 2012 at 02:20 PM
vsg28
• • •
p.1 #7 · Is the "perfect" lens coming?

15Bit wrote:
The built-in optical camera is generally just a basic camera for sample positioning and is little more than a webcam with vacuum tightness. The detectors don't use glass optics either, as they are detecting electrons rather than photons. No focusing is required at the detector end anyway as that is done via control of the beam with the condenser lenses. None of the normal EM addons (Element analysis, Electron Diffraction, Cathodoluminescence, electron spectroscopies) work in the optical range either.

Thats not to say that these lenses aren't exciting, just not so much for current electron microscope technologies i think.

What you said makes sense. I guess I should talk to the actual people who are interested in this technology to find why they thought this would work nicely for electron microscopes.

Aug 26, 2012 at 02:24 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password