Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Spot vs Single Point AF mode for action

gschlact
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Spot vs Single Point AF mode for action

I was wondering whether people have experience comparing Spot vs Single point AF in AI Servo mode for sports. For field sports, I mostly and prefer these two over the Expanded SIngle point since it forces better precision to place focal point on specific player by the shooter (me) whereas the Expanded single point let's you think you are on the player yet it might be the non primary point and thus you 'miss'. But I digress.

I shoot up to 400mm and like many people can often over reach to the action. So, besides the Spot AF being smaller area enabling more accurate placement (the Single point AF representation in the view finder is not highly correlated to the AF sensor location leads me to my question... with respect to a Canon 7D-

What compromises am I making choosing Spot AF to shoot the action vs Single point?.?
And, does it matter whether I am using center vs non-center point?

Guy

Aug 25, 2012 at 09:54 PM
Scott Sewell
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Spot vs Single Point AF mode for action

Guy, I am not quite following. To me, "spot" is a metering mode while "single point AF" is selecting a focus point. I'm still shooting Canon 1d Mk2 and Mk2n bodies so maybe this is some kind of AF feature on newer Canon bodies (or Nikon bodies, of which I am totally unfamiliar with). Can you clarify please?

As far as AF goes, I'm always on single point, with 13-point (if I recall) expansion so I can move that single focus point up/down or left/right when necessary. That's pretty much the case for me regardless of the lens being used.

Aug 25, 2012 at 11:06 PM
bobbyz
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Spot vs Single Point AF mode for action

The newer bodies have single point as well as spot focus which is supposed to be more precise. To me it is slower than using single point focus. I am using single point with 4 surrounding points on 5dmk3.

Aug 26, 2012 at 02:00 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

gschlact
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Spot vs Single Point AF mode for action

Scott-
The newer bodies have and extra small single point mode within all the current single points called spot. They also have and expanded single point on 7d with immediate adjacent North, south, east and west points. I understand some camers have immediate adjascent 8 points too. Nope this helps.

My root question for those that might have experimented is whether I am compromising anything in the Servo mode for the 'smaller' Spot AF. I haven't really paid attention to correlate any difference in experience.

Guy

Aug 26, 2012 at 02:37 AM
andyz
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Spot vs Single Point AF mode for action

Single point and spot are essentially the same on my 7D with the spot being a smaller sample area and more precise. Shooting an animal behind a fence is an example of a use. You'd go thru a hole in the fence and worry less about the fence being focused on. But if what the spot is focusing on is so small, and if you have a small depth of field, any difference in the plain of the object will be exaggerated in the DoF difference, I think.

Aug 26, 2012 at 04:48 AM
Jase1125
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Spot vs Single Point AF mode for action

Spot af is better for non-moving subjects or when shooting through obstructions (limbs, fence, etc). Canon documentation even states that spot af is slower to acquire initial focus and does not track as fast. Of course, if your keeper rate is high then no need to fix what isn't broken. If you keeper rate isn't high, the I would use single point af or single + expanded.

Aug 26, 2012 at 12:59 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password