Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Need Help!!! 35L not focusing @ f1.4

cubestwin
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Need Help!!! 35L not focusing @ f1.4

I rented a 35L f1.4 and a 5dmkIII for an event tonight. I love the camera but I am having a problem with the 35. All my other lenses focus perfectly on this body (I love the 135L results), but from f1.4 to almost f3.2 this lens seems soft at best. I took it outside to test shoot and all of the shots of my kids or just objects with this lens are just awful wide open. I tried to Micro Adjust the lens with my limited capablities (Tripod, book, mirror lock up, remote, test shots from -20 to +20 in increments of 5) and none of the text looked sharp. I picked the best one and still the lens is awful. Am I missing something? Is there something else I can do? Do I have a dud lens? I really wanted to use this lens but I just don't trust it. Is there anyone out there that can help me trouble shoot this problem? I guess the good news is that I have my trusty 35mm f2 to use as a back up if need be.... Its weird because all of my other lenses functioned properly as soon as I slapped them on the camera, no MA needed. Just this one.....

Thanks

Aug 25, 2012 at 02:19 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Need Help!!! 35L not focusing @ f1.4

Have you tried to manually focus it to see if there's a sharp result at all?

Try live view 10X mag and manually focus to see if ANYTHING looks sharp.
it's possible in transit the thing got bashed up.

Aug 25, 2012 at 02:22 PM
cubestwin
• •
p.1 #3 · Need Help!!! 35L not focusing @ f1.4

If I manually focus it on an object it seems noticeably better. What does that mean?

Aug 25, 2012 at 02:43 PM
UnknownSouljer

p.1 #4 · Need Help!!! 35L not focusing @ f1.4

Guessing the lens needs calibration if it's capable of being sharp, but doesn't become sharp during AF.

Aug 25, 2012 at 02:45 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #5 · Need Help!!! 35L not focusing @ f1.4

If it's better when using manual focus, it just helps to narrow down the issue you're having. Have you tried any smaller increment in MA rather than just +/-5? It really makes a difference even as slight as +/-1.

Aug 25, 2012 at 02:50 PM
cubestwin
• •
p.1 #6 · Need Help!!! 35L not focusing @ f1.4

No, I haven't. I will try increments of 1 going 5 clicks either way from -10 and see where that leaves me.

Aug 25, 2012 at 03:09 PM
cubestwin
• •
p.1 #7 · Need Help!!! 35L not focusing @ f1.4

Ok!!! If I try in live view, there is a brief moment while it is acquiring focus, that the words are crystal clear and sharp, but then, when it locks right after that brief second it is hazy. It is like it is right there and I can see it on the screen!!! What does that mean!!! It is driving me crazy! LoL

Aug 25, 2012 at 03:22 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

cubestwin
• •
p.1 #8 · Need Help!!! 35L not focusing @ f1.4

I literally see the sharpness and clarity right there on the screen and then in an instant it shifts and goes away!!

Aug 25, 2012 at 03:26 PM
jamato8
• • • •
p.1 #9 · Need Help!!! 35L not focusing @ f1.4

The lens needed to be adjusted/calibrated. If all your other lenses are fine, then it is out of adjustment.

Aug 25, 2012 at 04:05 PM
cubestwin
• •
p.1 #10 · Need Help!!! 35L not focusing @ f1.4

I am guessing that calibration is something that I can't do..... Only Canon right?

Aug 25, 2012 at 04:19 PM
retrofocus
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Need Help!!! 35L not focusing @ f1.4

cubestwin wrote:
I am guessing that calibration is something that I can't do..... Only Canon right?

Reikan FocalPro does the job. Problem is that it might be not worthwhile for you since you rented both camera and lens (and the camera will be registered with its serial number when you purchase the calibration software).

Aug 25, 2012 at 06:50 PM
cubestwin
• •
p.1 #12 · Need Help!!! 35L not focusing @ f1.4

Thanks guys for all of your efforts. I am going to chalk this one up as a loss and a life photography lesson....

Aug 25, 2012 at 09:11 PM
gwei8

p.1 #13 · Need Help!!! 35L not focusing @ f1.4

The 35L is known to be a little soft from 1.4 to 2.0, but then it gets sharp. something def. seems off with your copy tho.

Aug 25, 2012 at 09:16 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #14 · Need Help!!! 35L not focusing @ f1.4

Yea, there is definitely something wrong with the lens. I have the same lens and it works flawlessly with my 5D3. Sharp from 1.4.

Aug 25, 2012 at 11:04 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password