Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Does MA apply to Live view?

RobertLynn
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Does MA apply to Live view?

Reason I ask is this.

I received my replacement 24 1.4II after the first one was poorly focusing. LAst evening I was enjoying a few cervasas and taking pictures of the bottle with the lens. It appeared to be very good on my three bodies.

Today I was trying to use the lens to take photos at breakfast of my son, and consistently they were front focused.

So I got out the tripod and set up the lens box. I shot three frames defocusing to infinity each time. Then I would shoot three frames with Live view. Then I would dial in 5 clicks of micro adjustment.

The live view frames look almost identical, with the non-live view frames varying wildly.
I cannot seem to find any information in my 7D or 1DIV's manual.

I've had a few hits with the lens, and at 1.4 it's very, very sharp.

It's just I've got to find out is it my crappy technique, is it MA that needs dialed in. I'm going to do the 50x focal length set up when I get a chance (any of you with kids know exactly how difficult it is to get anything accomplished, and anyone that's tried to test out their lenses knows exactly how painful MA is).

Aug 25, 2012 at 09:01 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Does MA apply to Live view?

No , unless you are using fast AF in live view (which flips the mirror and uses the phase detect AF ) . If your using contrast detect (no mirror flip with a constant image on screen) then the focus is achieved off the sensor not the phase AF (which is what the MA adjusts)

Aug 25, 2012 at 09:23 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Does MA apply to Live view?

Also when you say the live view shots were 'almost identicle' . I have noticed a variance in the focust accuracy of the contrast detect on my 7D . Close but not always exactly the same.

Aug 25, 2012 at 09:25 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Does MA apply to Live view?

It shouldn't have an influence in 'regular' live view, but there's the other live view option which quickly flips the mirror down and back up again to perform AF, and in this mode MA would likely influence AF the same way as in non-live view photography.

Edit: Ian beat me to it.

It's been a few years since I've used the 24II, which was a loaner from Canon. I found that one fairly inconsistent with AF. Sometimes grossly front focusing. I don't remember if that was with the 1DIII or IV. Maybe things have improved since then?

Aug 25, 2012 at 09:28 AM
kevindar
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Does MA apply to Live view?

24II is a lens that is known to have somewhat of an inconsistant autofocus. I am also on my second which is better than first.
also, the contrast dectect autofocus is generally more accurate and precises than the phase detect. there is a good article about this on lens rentals. It was also their impression that 5d3 and 1dx, had better percision, and the newer lenses had better precision.

Aug 25, 2012 at 11:26 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.