New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Upgrade LR or PSE?

no_surrender
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Upgrade LR or PSE?

I'm running a Windows 7, 64 bit system.

Both option upgrades are $80. I'm not sure if either are worth it, but I'm starting to use a couple newer techniques for retouching portraits that my current software doesn't support, particularly PSE8. Are either of these upgrades worth the $80? A few sliders here and there? A channels panel to separate RGB for sharpening?

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

Aug 25, 2012 at 07:52 AM
mmurph
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Upgrade LR or PSE?

Both?

Adobe Elements 10 is $50 today only, 8/25:

http://mpex.com/adobe-one-day-deals

Aug 25, 2012 at 09:58 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Upgrade LR or PSE?

Do you want to manage your images as well as process them ? If yes then get Lr 4. I like the better processing engine and better collection management than Lr 3. However, also a bit slower.

If you're not into managing your images then you're free to pick any editor. I'm not familiar with PSE - does it do parametric editing like Lr does or does it always change the original file with the edits ? Does it matter to you ?

Aug 26, 2012 at 05:41 AM
no_surrender
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Upgrade LR or PSE?

Alan321 wrote:
Do you want to manage your images as well as process them ? If yes then get Lr 4. I like the better processing engine and better collection management than Lr 3. However, also a bit slower.

If you're not into managing your images then you're free to pick any editor. I'm not familiar with PSE - does it do parametric editing like Lr does or does it always change the original file with the edits ? Does it matter to you ?

Photoshop Elements changes the file each time it edits. I use both programs for different things. LR3 for basic exposure adjustments and PS8 for anything requiring work with layers.

Aug 26, 2012 at 07:15 AM
Rand47
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Upgrade LR or PSE?

LR 4.1 is like getting a new camera for free. The processing pipeline is that much better.
The learning curve from 3x to 4x is significant - it's a completely different animal in the develop module - but it is worth the effort. There is no question in my mind that this is a better use of the money than PSE. I also have and use CS6 and can tell you that except for pixel level editing all of my PP is now accomplished in LR4.

Aug 26, 2012 at 09:10 AM
egd5
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Upgrade LR or PSE?

definitely Lightroom. Besides, I would guess that in a few months PSE 11 will be out, you can upgrade that then.

Aug 26, 2012 at 12:26 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Upgrade LR or PSE?

LR never quite got the job done for me in the past, so I never bought it @ LR1, LR2 or LR3. LR4 ... I bought it. Very much worth it.

Aug 26, 2012 at 02:44 PM
no_surrender
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Upgrade LR or PSE?

Thanks everyone. I ordered LR4 from B&H for $58 with the student discount and it comes with a Kelby tutorial DVD...bonus! Can't wait!

Kevin

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:26 AM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Upgrade LR or PSE?

PSE does not handle 48 bit RAW as native 48bit. Makes it useless for RAW conversions.

I would use Lightroom or Photoshop
or DPP

Aug 27, 2012 at 10:33 AM
no_surrender
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Upgrade LR or PSE?

abqnmusa wrote:
PSE does not handle 48 bit RAW as native 48bit. Makes it useless for RAW conversions.

or DPP

Looking into a trial version of CS6. I don't care much for DPP unless I want to go back and verify a focal point or something. To me, LR is useless if I'm going to use DPP anyway. I guess one could use DPP to process levels and tones in the RAW file then open in photoshop, but IMO LR is much better. Disclaimer, though, I don't know DPP well enough to say LR is better...it's just what I prefer.

Kevin

Aug 29, 2012 at 04:46 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Upgrade LR or PSE?

I bought PSE and never could get the images to look right. Something always seemed off. I bought LR4 and was quite shocked how nice the post processing looked and how little time it took. For removing things like telephone poles, etc, I do like PSE eraser tool quite a bit, but otherwise never use it.

Aug 29, 2012 at 07:16 AM
lesaus
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Upgrade LR or PSE?

abqnmusa wrote:

or DPP

Incorrect - PSE does handle 16-bit/channel raw files and a lot of the editting can be done in 16-bit mode. Some features, such as layers and spot healing, e.g., requires the file to be converted to 8-bit first. So, you do all that you can in 16-bit (levels, highlights/shadows, sharpening, etc.), then convert to 8-bit IF you need those 8-bit features.

Aug 30, 2012 at 08:00 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.