Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 1DX 14fps question

WayneTk

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 1DX 14fps question

I've looked thru Canon's material on this and it seems the only way to access the 14fps option in via the menu or possibly in a 'C' mode. I had hoped it would be an option available for one of the two new M.Fn buttons. For anyone who has used the camera or knows better is there an option to quickly switch to the 14fps mode while in the middle of shooting action?

I often use the focus preset on the super telephoto lenses for certain sports (2nd base in baseball, the goalie in water polo, middle blocker in volleyball, etc). It would be nice if I could hit my lens preset button and follow that by pressing the new lower finger M.Fn to get that extra 2 fps in those situations where I wouldn't need autofocus anyway.

Aug 25, 2012 at 06:20 AM
Peter Figen
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · 1DX 14fps question

Is it an impediment that 14 fps is only with jpeg and only with mirror lockup?

Aug 25, 2012 at 06:31 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.1 #3 · 1DX 14fps question

There are three ways to set it as far as I can see from having the camera in front of me. First you have to enter C.Fn3: Drive - Restrictive drive modes - and check-mark the 14fps option.

Then you can select it as you would normally select a drive mode. It's positioned between 'silent' advance and single advance, so not beside the other continuous advance modes. And the 'H' flashes to indicate it's the 14fps mode vs. the regular high speed advance.

But that's not what you want.

Yes, it's possible to assign 14fps to a button for instant access, but the only two options are the AF-ON button or the * button. Not the M-Fn. 1 or 2 buttons. This is set through the Custom Controls CF.

Peter: I would have liked a RAW option. I don't plan to use this advance mode much, if ever, but it is audibly faster and the mirror blackout for a quick burst is surprisingly not that distracting. 1/4 to 1/3 of a second blackout will gain you 4-5 frames. Personally I would see it being more useful for remote camera applications. It's also slightly quieter because the mirror is not flapping up and down.

Also, the M-Fn.2 button is the upper of the two buttons and is actually easier, more comfortable to reach than the lower button.
Hope this helps...

Aug 25, 2012 at 07:09 AM
WayneTk

p.1 #4 · 1DX 14fps question

rscheffler wrote:
Yes, it's possible to assign 14fps to a button for instant access, but the only two options are the AF-ON button or the * button. Not the M-Fn. 1 or 2 buttons. This is set through the Custom Controls CF.

Hope this helps...

Yes, the * button will work just as well. Thank you very much.

Aug 25, 2012 at 04:12 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Photon
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · 1DX 14fps question

Hmm...I shoot raw and use back button focus, but if I set the * button to switch to jpg and 14 fps, I suppose I could also have it switch to shutter button AF. If so, a simple press of the * could allow me an ultra-quick burst of a few frames. I'm assuming AF works preceding the burst. Yet another trick to try.

Aug 26, 2012 at 02:21 AM
rscheffler
• • • •
p.1 #6 · 1DX 14fps question

If you assign the * button to 14fps and you're a RAW shooter, you have to deliberately set the camera to Jpeg mode. I just tried it. You can't be in RAW, press * and activate 14fps. But you could assign either of the M-Fn buttons or the DOF button to switch between RAW and Jpeg. But that means you have to still hit another button to switch the RAW-Jpeg mode. Not great for true spontaneity. I think the * or AF-ON button to activate 14fps is really only a benefit for Jpeg shooters.

Personally, I'm probably going to steer away from 14fps because I know I will forget to switch back to RAW and only much later into the shoot notice this... 12fps is already pretty fast...

Aug 26, 2012 at 04:15 AM
Photon
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · 1DX 14fps question

rscheffler wrote:
If you assign the * button to 14fps and you're a RAW shooter, you have to deliberately set the camera to Jpeg mode. I just tried it. You can't be in RAW, press * and activate 14fps. But you could assign either of the M-Fn buttons or the DOF button to switch between RAW and Jpeg. But that means you have to still hit another button to switch the RAW-Jpeg mode. Not great for true spontaneity. I think the * or AF-ON button to activate 14fps is really only a benefit for Jpeg shooters.

Personally, I'm probably going to steer
...Show more
Yup. We always want more, huh?

Aug 26, 2012 at 05:21 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password