Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Light stand with removable feet?

jzucker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Light stand with removable feet?

Looking for something fairly reasonable weight with feet that come off. We're currently using a painter's pole on location but would like to use a light stand and sand bag if the wind is not too bad. However, if we get there and there's a lot of wind it would be nice if we could remove the feet and use the stand like a monopod.

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:19 AM
Waki
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Light stand with removable feet?

What I have done is just fold the legs in and use them as a larger handle and still shoot as if you were using the pole. It works, I guess you need the right stand though. I don't do this with a folding 13' model.

The only other thing I can think of right now is a C-stand. I have three of them and the legs fold flat for transport. The legs separate from the riser. That might work too. Bagging a C-stand is much easier and to me, more solid than bagging a folding stand.

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:43 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Light stand with removable feet?

Waki wrote:
What I have done is just fold the legs in and use them as a larger handle and still shoot as if you were using the pole. It works, I guess you need the right stand though. I don't do this with a folding 13' model.

The only other thing I can think of right now is a C-stand. I have three of them and the legs fold flat for transport. The legs separate from the riser. That might work too. Bagging a C-stand is much easier and to me, more solid than bagging a folding stand.

Yeah, that makes sense. We were thinking of a C stand. Which one do you recommend? Mathews or Avenger? We bought one off ebay and it was extremely cheap and flexed badly. I guess you get what you pay for!

Aug 24, 2012 at 01:23 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Light stand with removable feet?

looking at the specs of the C stands, it seems these stands are fairly heavy. Maybe not the best choice for using on location where you have to walk around a lot. Maybe a conventional stand with the legs folded as you suggest would be the way to go. I've seen other photographers doing that.

Do you know if the C stand with the 40" gobo attachment would work as a boom with a 7lb light/softbox?

Aug 24, 2012 at 01:46 PM
sic0048
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Light stand with removable feet?

I've seen monopods with removable feet, but not a lighting stand. Depending on how tall and sturdy you want this stand to be, perhaps a convertible monopod might work.

Aug 24, 2012 at 09:37 PM
ravisrajan
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Light stand with removable feet?

jzucker wrote:
You might want to read this Q&A about C-stand.
http://strobist.blogspot.com/2012/05/q-c-stands.html

Aug 24, 2012 at 10:34 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Light stand with removable feet?

thanks!

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:05 PM
Waki
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Light stand with removable feet?

I use Mathews cause they were available at a substantially reduced price. They aren't cheaply constructed and don't weigh that much. I have lugged mine around outdoors. Not preferred but didn't carry them that far.

Avenger stuff is pretty good too. I have some Avenger booms and stands and it's well made too. I think the stormiest article reference some other good product from maybe Lumopro?

Aug 25, 2012 at 12:15 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Light stand with removable feet?

anyone know if that $99 lumopro comes with the arm?

edit - purchased the lumopro from midwest photo. It does *NOT* come with the extension arm even thogh it's pictured like that in the photo.

Aug 25, 2012 at 02:42 PM
tedwca
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Light stand with removable feet?

I use a c-stand without the legs attached on my cart and it also can be used as an emergency boom, but it's very heavy and putting a light on the end is gonna make it heavier obviously. You will need a strong assistant to hold it for any amount of time.

If you are using something like a Qflash, Lumedyne, Quadra, or hotshoe type flashes then this may work for you. The pole is very lightweight and easy to hold.

http://www.kaceyenterprises.com/?page_id=447

if it's windy I prefer to dedicate someone to the lightstand and keep it on the ground with the legs attached.

Took this today. It was kinda windy, but the heavy stands were fine. The big Octa was super stable, the little one would spin a little since it is on a short boom arm with a baby drop pin supporting it. The wind was 5-8mph and other than the Ranger hanging on the stand we didn't support them with sand bags. If it was a real shoot I'd have a few sandbags on each one but we were within a few feet of them and never had an issue.

Aug 26, 2012 at 03:28 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Michael Sessio
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Light stand with removable feet?

I have c stands and a couple of heavy duty aluminum air cushioned stands. I think this is the model.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/97422-REG/Photogenic_921903_Black_Air_Cushioned_Stand.html

To get the legs off you need to remove one of the adjustment collars. Takes about thirty seconds and you have an 11' boom. I'm heading to India in a couple of months and will be bringing both of them. Cstands will be far too heavy and I absolutely need the boom feature.

Aug 26, 2012 at 02:28 PM
ukphotographer
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Light stand with removable feet?

Manfrotto 1004BAC new version of 004B
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/512192-REG/Manfrotto_004B_004B_Master_Light_Stand.html

and combi boom:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/546705-REG/Manfrotto_420B_420B_Combi_Boom_Stand.html

Aug 27, 2012 at 09:46 AM
onetrack
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Light stand with removable feet?

I purchased a stand specifically to remove the legs. It was a Manfrotto air cushioned stacker type. I drilled out the rivets and removed the legs. Take care not to ruin the air seal.

Works great, I can really get it up there, higher and stronger than a plastic painter's pole.

Scott

Aug 27, 2012 at 01:08 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Light stand with removable feet?

Which manfrotto was it and did you replace the rivets with machine screws or did you not bother with the legs after you drilled it out?

Aug 27, 2012 at 01:26 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Light stand with removable feet?

Michael Sessio wrote:
I have c stands and a couple of heavy duty aluminum air cushioned stands. I think this is the model.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/97422-REG/Photogenic_921903_Black_Air_Cushioned_Stand.html

To get the legs off you need to remove one of the adjustment collars. Takes about thirty seconds and you have an 11' boom. I'm heading to India in a couple of months and will be bringing both of them. Cstands will be far too heavy and I absolutely need the boom feature.

Thanks Micheal. I looked at several of my cushioned stands and couldn't find a way to remove the collars without removing the glued-in piece at the bottom of the pole. Does the stand in your link have screws instead of rivets holding the legs on?

Aug 27, 2012 at 01:28 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Light stand with removable feet?

Nice setup. How do you use that? 39" for the mainlight and the 53 for fill?

tedwca wrote:
I use a c-stand without the legs attached on my cart and it also can be used as an emergency boom, but it's very heavy and putting a light on the end is gonna make it heavier obviously. You will need a strong assistant to hold it for any amount of time.

If you are using something like a Qflash, Lumedyne, Quadra, or hotshoe type flashes then this may work for you. The pole is very lightweight and easy to hold.

http://www.kaceyenterprises.com/?page_id=447

if it's windy I prefer to dedicate someone to the lightstand and keep it on the ground with the legs attached.
...Show more

Aug 27, 2012 at 01:30 PM
tedwca
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Light stand with removable feet?

Yes, the 39" is the main and I usually add the diffusion fabric to the big one and use it as fill.

Aug 27, 2012 at 06:50 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Light stand with removable feet?

so is that your standard lighting setup for location or do you normally just use the 39?

Thanks again!

Aug 27, 2012 at 07:21 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Light stand with removable feet?

ukphotographer wrote:
...and combi boom:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/546705-REG/Manfrotto_420B_420B_Combi_Boom_Stand.html

Hmm. I have two of these, and I really like them for location work: reasonably lightweight, reasonably strong, and the boom holds a reasonable weight.

One thing I never thought of -- and I'm going to check when I get home tonight -- is to remove the boom completely to use as a handheld boom. It should just slide out of the collar if the handle is loosened enough, right?

Aug 27, 2012 at 07:25 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Light stand with removable feet?

That boom has a max load of 4.5lbs. Suitable for speedlite only? My lights weigh about 5lbs and another 1lb or 2 with the softbox...

Aug 27, 2012 at 07:28 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password