FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2012 · 600 f4 IS II+1.4X III vs 800mm 5.6L

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · 600 f4 IS II+1.4X III vs 800mm 5.6L

Great photos Arash! Thanks for sharing them. The original post linking to the 100% crops seems to indicate that the 600II + 1.4x is 'better' optically than the 800L and that was the issue. As it has already been written on this thread, both options are excellent and have their own drawbacks.
When comparing the 1D-X with the 1D4 on a review I'm writing, I tend to get more consistent BIF results with the 1D4 with the following settings:
Tracking set to (-1, actually one point to the left)
Servo 1st image priority to "Focus" and 2nd to "Tracking".
Most other AF settings at default.

We can tweak the 1D-X servo algorithms even further but I'm curious to know your settings for the 1D4.
Best,
Fred

Aug 24, 2012 at 04:06 PM
altenae1234

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · 600 f4 IS II+1.4X III vs 800mm 5.6L

Thanks speedmaster.

I am also very impressed bij it's ai servo performance.
Did some testing with Common Buzzerds flying towards me.
Here 2 examples:

http://www.birdpix.nl/album_page.php?pic_id=326869
http://www.birdpix.nl/album_page.php?pic_id=326838

Aug 24, 2012 at 04:19 PM
speedmaster20d
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · 600 f4 IS II+1.4X III vs 800mm 5.6L

Fred Miranda wrote:
Great photos Arash! Thanks for sharing them. The original post linking to the 100% crops seems to indicate that the 600II + 1.4x is 'better' optically than the 800L and that was the issue. As it has already been written on this thread, both options are excellent and have their own drawbacks.
When comparing the 1D-X with the 1D4 on a review I'm writing, I tend to get more consistent BIF results with the 1D4 with the following settings:
Tracking set to (-1, actually one point to the left)
Servo 1st image priority to "Focus" and 2nd to "Tracking".
Most other AF
...Show more

Hey Fred,

I also wouldn't say it is "better" but they are identical. Canon specifically matched the optical formula of MKIII extenders with MKII super telephoto lenses and they did hit a home run IMO. I agree, any minute difference in sharpness will be greatly outweighed by other factors in the field so it is somewhat irrelevant IMO.

I also set my MK4 tracking sensitivity to slow (all the way to the left). This is basically the re-focus delay. Having it set to slow makes the camera hold focus if the AF sensor momentarily slips from the bird to the BG but at the same time if you do lock on the BG, makes it more difficult to refocus back on the bird in time. so it acts as a double edged sward It really comes down to handholding technique and keeping the bird centered in the frame...

I also have expansion points active (options 3, 6 expansion points).

As for the other settings, I haven't really been able to tell if they make a difference as the subject itself is very erratic in case of BIF!

cheers,
Arash

Aug 24, 2012 at 04:28 PM
speedmaster20d
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · 600 f4 IS II+1.4X III vs 800mm 5.6L

altenae1234 wrote:
Thanks speedmaster.

I am also very impressed bij it's ai servo performance.
Did some testing with Common Buzzerds flying towards me.
Here 2 examples:

http://www.birdpix.nl/album_page.php?pic_id=326869
http://www.birdpix.nl/album_page.php?pic_id=326838

very cool! it is a great combo!

Aug 24, 2012 at 04:28 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · 600 f4 IS II+1.4X III vs 800mm 5.6L

speedmaster20d wrote:
Hey Fred,

I also wouldn't say it is "better" but they are identical. Canon specifically matched the optical formula of MKIII extenders with MKII super telephoto lenses and they did hit a home run IMO. I agree, any minute difference in sharpness will be greatly outweighed by other factors in the field so it is somewhat irrelevant IMO.

I also set my MK4 tracking sensitivity to slow (all the way to the left). This is basically the re-focus delay. Having it set to slow makes the camera hold focus if the AF sensor momentarily slips from the bird to the BG
...Show more

I get what you mean by two edged sword. I also agree that with the 1D4, tracking sensitivity is the setting that makes the most difference.
To get the best of both worlds with a slower setting for tracking, it helps "bumping" the focus. Basically when loosing focus on the subject, instead trying to keep tracking, I disengage the "AF-ON" button and re-focus. "Bumping" seems to override the delay set by the tracking sensitivity because I'm able to re-lock much faster this way. Same goes for the 1D-X tracking sensitivity.
Are you considering the 1D-X?

Aug 24, 2012 at 05:08 PM
speedmaster20d
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · 600 f4 IS II+1.4X III vs 800mm 5.6L

Fred Miranda wrote:
I get what you mean by two edged sword. I also agree that with the 1D4, tracking sensitivity is the setting that makes the most difference.
To get the best of both worlds with a slower setting for tracking, it helps "bumping" the focus. Basically when loosing focus on the subject, instead trying to keep tracking, I disengage the "AF-ON" button and re-focus. "Bumping" seems to override the delay set by the tracking sensitivity because I'm able to re-lock much faster this way. Same goes for the 1D-X tracking sensitivity.
Are you considering the 1D-X?

That's a good strategy and I do the same when the bird is flying across the frame. There are situations though when you don't have enough time to bump the focus like when the bird is coming towards you or for birds that fly fast in short distances such as a burrowing owl or a plover. In those cases I don't focus-track the bird but wait until it comes to the distance at which I want to make photos. Then, I fire a short bust during which the AF will lock and then let go.

I am not considering 1DX at this point and at this price. I'm quite happy with the MK4 AF and high ISO performance, my keeper ratio will most likely drop with the 1DX as a result of resolution loss. It is like going back to the old MK3! I use my 5D3 when I need FF.

IMHO 1DX was not made with nature photographers in mind, I hope the next generation will bump up the resolution to get back to where MK4 is plus it will enable AF at f/8.

Aug 24, 2012 at 05:29 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · 600 f4 IS II+1.4X III vs 800mm 5.6L

I think speedmaster's review has convinced me to sell my 500 mk I for the 600 mk II and to use the 1.4x TC III when needed. Can't really go wrong with either lens, but the lighter weight, much shorter mfd and the fact you get an f/4 lens when the light is low, is enough to sway me.

Aug 25, 2012 at 04:34 AM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.