Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       end
  

Archive 2012 · 600 f4 IS II+1.4X III vs 800mm 5.6L
  
 
Jude Perera
Offline
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 600 f4 IS II+1.4X III vs 800mm 5.6L


Lens Image Quality Comparison - ISO 12233 Chart 100% Crops

Could be this correct??
If Yes why canon is producing EF 800mm 5.6L which is heavy and more expensive?



Aug 24, 2012 at 04:05 AM
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 600 f4 IS II+1.4X III vs 800mm 5.6L


It's obviously not correct. Nuff said...


Aug 24, 2012 at 04:08 AM
BluesWest
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 600 f4 IS II+1.4X III vs 800mm 5.6L


It's obviously not correct

Fred, I'm interested in knowing why you believe this is not correct. I'm certainly surprised by the result and I would like to know whether it's accurate or not (I hope some day to acquire the 800mm lens -- but would not consider it if it really is outperformed by the 600mm II + 1.4X).

John



Aug 24, 2012 at 04:29 AM
RustyBug
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 600 f4 IS II+1.4X III vs 800mm 5.6L


The comparison image @ TDP ... 600+TC seems to show more CA/fringe than the 800 ... so there might be some "trade-offs" being incorporated that for some will be acceptable.

Of course, I'll only see this vicariously through test shots @ TDP as my beer budget can't even begin to fathom owning either of these.



Aug 24, 2012 at 04:43 AM
dehowie
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 600 f4 IS II+1.4X III vs 800mm 5.6L


BluesWest wrote:
Fred, I'm interested in knowing why you believe this is not correct. I'm certainly surprised by the result and I would like to know whether it's accurate or not (I hope some day to acquire the 800mm lens -- but would not consider it if it really is outperformed by the 600mm II + 1.4X).

John



Mainly because everyone who owns an 800(me included) hav stated numerous times the images he got with the test 800 where far from what the lens delivers.
Either a bad copy which I doubt as I've never heard of a " bad copy" of a super or poorly setup test.



Aug 24, 2012 at 04:55 AM
Pixel Perfect
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 600 f4 IS II+1.4X III vs 800mm 5.6L


Also consider how badly his 600L mk I performed in testing too. A sample of 1 is not a basis for a scientific conclusion to lens performance.

As they say, if you are going to have a 1.4x TC glued to a lens, it's always better to get the longer slower native lens. If you only plan to use the 1.4x occasionally, then the shorter faster glass has merit.



Aug 24, 2012 at 10:36 AM
Lars Johnsson
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 600 f4 IS II+1.4X III vs 800mm 5.6L


BluesWest wrote:
Fred, I'm interested in knowing why you believe this is not correct. I'm certainly surprised by the result and I would like to know whether it's accurate or not (I hope some day to acquire the 800mm lens -- but would not consider it if it really is outperformed by the 600mm II + 1.4X).

John


The 800 in his pics is very soft. In real life it's about the sharpest lens there exist. And as sharp as all the other super-teles without any extenders attached. It has been discussed many times here.
This is how the 800 + extender look in real life shooting. And it's a little bit better without extender of course.











































Edited on Aug 24, 2012 at 11:23 AM · View previous versions



Aug 24, 2012 at 11:17 AM
Lars Johnsson
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 600 f4 IS II+1.4X III vs 800mm 5.6L


Fred Miranda wrote:
It's obviously not correct. Nuff said...


+100



Aug 24, 2012 at 11:21 AM
PetKal
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 600 f4 IS II+1.4X III vs 800mm 5.6L


Fred Miranda wrote:
It's obviously not correct. Nuff said...


Yes, I also agree that, generally, that comparison is not good.
However, unless he screwed up something in his test procedure, perhaps his 800L is a wonky copy, so his results are valid for his wonky copy of 800L.

I think he also had a wonky 200 f/1.8 a few years back, and we exchanged emails on that because I didn't feel that 200 1.8 should be so much inferior to 300 f/2.8 IS MkI in sharpness, and he was also very surprised by the results he was getting.

It's a difficult business he is in, and he should perhaps go back to those tests which seem "fishy", and repeat with a different lens, even if he has to borrow it. That's what PZone fellow often does.



Aug 24, 2012 at 11:32 AM
Ian.Dobinson
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 600 f4 IS II+1.4X III vs 800mm 5.6L


Well the test does it for me.

It now means I don't have to think about NOT getting the 800L and instead can think about NOT getting the 600mkII



Aug 24, 2012 at 11:37 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



PetKal
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 600 f4 IS II+1.4X III vs 800mm 5.6L


Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Well the test does it for me.

It now means I don't have to think about NOT getting the 800L and instead can think about NOT getting the 600mkII


Doby, you're a master of positive thinking innit



Aug 24, 2012 at 11:53 AM
altenae1234
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 600 f4 IS II+1.4X III vs 800mm 5.6L


I see NO difference with the 800 bare compared to the 600 II / 1.4 III.

However the 600 can be a 600 or 840.
With 1.4 and 1dx no AF issues.

Since I have the 600 II / 1.4 III I have never used the 800.
So YES I think the test on Digital Picture is valid.

Sharpness superb and AF speed with extender no issue !!

http://www.birdpix.nl/album_page.php?pic_id=327107
http://www.birdpix.nl/album_page.php?pic_id=326868
http://www.birdpix.nl/album_page.php?pic_id=326838

Thx,

Edward



Aug 24, 2012 at 12:21 PM
Gary Irwin
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 600 f4 IS II+1.4X III vs 800mm 5.6L


Before I bought my 800L from my dealer (Canadian commercial sales guy) I discussed the need to return it should it not perform up to par (i.e. given some of the complains I read on the internet about some copies of this lens being soft). He indicated Canon appeared to have some quality control issues with the early units, but in recent years he's had no complaints from purchasers. FWIW my copy, which is only a few months old, is as sharp as I need it to be.

Assuming TDP did their testing when the lens was newly released, I wonder if they simply got a poor copy? I also wonder if they perform a MA on it first?




Aug 24, 2012 at 01:12 PM
Lars Johnsson
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 600 f4 IS II+1.4X III vs 800mm 5.6L


altenae1234 wrote:
I see NO difference with the 800 bare compared to the 600 II / 1.4 III.

However the 600 can be a 600 or 840.
With 1.4 and 1dx no AF issues.

Since I have the 600 II / 1.4 III I have never used the 800.
So YES I think the test on Digital Picture is valid.

Sharpness superb and AF speed with extender no issue !!

http://www.birdpix.nl/album_page.php?pic_id=327107
http://www.birdpix.nl/album_page.php?pic_id=326868
http://www.birdpix.nl/album_page.php?pic_id=326838

Thx,

Edward


How can you say that the Digital Picture test of the 800 is valid? When you also say that you never have used the 800 lens?



Aug 24, 2012 at 01:43 PM
Lars Johnsson
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 600 f4 IS II+1.4X III vs 800mm 5.6L


Gary Irwin wrote:
Before I bought my 800L from my dealer (Canadian commercial sales guy) I discussed the need to return it should it not perform up to par (i.e. given some of the complains I read on the internet about some copies of this lens being soft). He indicated Canon appeared to have some quality control issues with the early units, but in recent years he's had no complaints from purchasers. FWIW my copy, which is only a few months old, is as sharp as I need it to be.

Assuming TDP did their testing when the lens was newly released, I
...Show more

The early units are exactly the same as the more recent ones



Aug 24, 2012 at 01:46 PM
PetKal
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 600 f4 IS II+1.4X III vs 800mm 5.6L


Similar to what Gary has said, while my 800L (the 2nd one I've owned so far) may not be the sharpest telephoto lens I've got, i.e., not quite as sharp as my 400 f/2.8 lenses, I consider it to be of sufficient resolving power and a truly excellent IQ all around.

Here is a Greenback pijun as an illustration.

Edited on Aug 24, 2012 at 05:38 PM · View previous versions



Aug 24, 2012 at 01:47 PM
altenae1234
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 600 f4 IS II+1.4X III vs 800mm 5.6L


Lars Johnsson wrote:
How can you say that the Digital Picture test of the 800 is valid? When you also say that you never have used the 800 lens?


I said SINCE I have the 600 II I have never used the 800 (again)

Thx,

Edward



Aug 24, 2012 at 01:50 PM
Lars Johnsson
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 600 f4 IS II+1.4X III vs 800mm 5.6L


Ok Edward, my English is not good enough to get that


Aug 24, 2012 at 01:55 PM
altenae1234
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 600 f4 IS II+1.4X III vs 800mm 5.6L


Lars Johnsson wrote:
Ok Edward, my English is not good enough to get that



Well I forgot the word "again"

However no problem abcourse.
It's not my native language either

Greetings,

Edward



Aug 24, 2012 at 01:58 PM
PetKal
Offline
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 600 f4 IS II+1.4X III vs 800mm 5.6L


" Ever since I bought/received/got 600 II, I have not used my 800L again."


Aug 24, 2012 at 02:02 PM
1
       2       3       end




FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       3       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password