Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Canvas suggestions for Epson K3

hugowolf
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canvas suggestions for Epson K3

Anyone have suggestions for canvas available in 36 rolls, preferably something that has little need for a varnish coat? Breathing Color seems to be out of their Crystalline for everything between 17 and 54 inches.

I am using Epson 3880 and 9890 printers; Ultra Chrome K3 ink sets.

Brian A

Aug 24, 2012 at 02:14 AM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canvas suggestions for Epson K3

BC's Crystalline seems to be the only canvas that purports not needing to be coated, but for the best protection and longevity, all canvas prints need to be coated, except perhaps those from solvent printers. Hands-down fine art print quality is better with aqueous printers, and better yet when coated.

Aug 24, 2012 at 04:09 AM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canvas suggestions for Epson K3

kdphotography wrote:
BC's Crystalline seems to be the only canvas that purports not needing to be coated, but for the best protection and longevity, all canvas prints need to be coated, except perhaps those from solvent printers. Hands-down fine art print quality is better with aqueous printers, and better yet when coated.

Do you have any recomendations for a canvas and a coating?

Aug 24, 2012 at 05:36 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canvas suggestions for Epson K3

Selection of canvas for printing generally comes down to weave/texture/finish, price, quality, OBA free/archivability, gamut, thickness and/or suitability for stretching, among others. That being said, the canvas that I have selected for all my canvas fine art printing is Breathing Color's Lyve. Combined with a custom generated icc profile for my Epson 9900, BC's Lyve is an exceptional OBA-free substrate for gallery wrapped canvas for my own clients and work that I print for artists/photographers.

I prefer BC's Glamour II over Timeless simply because I've been using Glamour II for years and have already dialed in the different ratios for spraying by HVLP. Timeless is a more expensive ready-to-use formula ideal for those who don't coat often or simply don't want to deal with different mix ratios. By altering the mix of Glamour II, I am able to adjust the level of finish from a gentle matte to satin, to a soft gloss. Coating by HVLP is best and also increases the depth of the image, while providing protection of the print and allowing for a good stretch without flaking on the edges/corners. I do use Timeless to coat fine art papers by rolling.

You can find more info and blubbering about canvas and printing by snooping around on my blog. This is an old link to canvas preservation (BC's Chromata White) with a tongue-in-cheek video at the bottom of the blog article to show you how well Glamour II protects canvas prints: http://kendoophotography.wordpress.com/2009/03/19/giclee-fine-art-and-canvas-portrait-preservation/

I think BC's Crystalline is a "nice idea" and simply appeals to those that would like to avoid coating canvas prints. But the reality is for all canvas prints, coating canvas is a necessity to produce the best quality canvas prints, imho, and you shouldn't side-step the benefits that coating by HVLP imparts.

I hope this helps!

ken

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:54 PM
hugowolf
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canvas suggestions for Epson K3

So Ken, do you apply any coats after stretching or all before? When I used to work with oil on canvas, everything was applied after stretching. The gesso layer would shrink the canvas somewhat creating more taughtness, then the oils and then the varnish.

Brian A

Aug 24, 2012 at 03:46 PM
kdphotography
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canvas suggestions for Epson K3

I always HVLP canvas prior to stretching. This protects the canvas edges and corners when stretching.

Shrinkage (George Constanza Seinfeld effect, "It was the pool!") of canvas can be an issue for some canvas and printer combinations, and the application of the water-based varnishes also a possible factor. The Costanza effect seems to have been addressed by the latest generation of Epson printers as I haven't had to figure out shrinkage into the canvas printing equation anymore.

Btw, Qimage Ultimate has a great feature allowing adjustment when printing canvas, adjusting for the specific percentage of Constanza effect shrinkage. You simply dial in the percentage of shrinkage for your printer (a little bit of trial and error), which is an ideal solution as it seems shrinkage when printing canvas can vary from printer to printer. Typical shrinkage is from .5% to 1.5% lengthwise only.

Ken

Aug 24, 2012 at 05:16 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password