Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              5       6       end

Archive 2012 · The most controversial Canon ever?

RogerC11
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · The most controversial Canon ever?

Just a fun poll, in your opinion, which canon caused the most controversy ever talked about here on the FM boards? Whether it be the 1diii and 5dii AF threads down to the 7d ISO noise comparisons. Good or bad, take your vote and please tell why.

Aug 23, 2012 at 10:59 PM
PKuglin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · The most controversial Canon ever?

the 1d3 mirror issue was the most discussed in my mind...

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:06 PM
fraga
• • • •
p.1 #3 · The most controversial Canon ever?

I would have to agree, 1DIII.

Though I was an early adopter and mine focused perfectly.
Better than my 1DMIIn...

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:09 PM
dfresh
• • • •
p.1 #4 · The most controversial Canon ever?

Probably the 1D3 AF issues, but the 5D2's AF gets a close second.

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:10 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · The most controversial Canon ever?

fraga wrote:
I would have to agree, 1DIII.

Though I was an early adopter and mine focused perfectly.
Better than my 1DMIIn...

+1

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:11 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #6 · The most controversial Canon ever?

I'd say 3DX .

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:22 PM
Gary Petersen
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · The most controversial Canon ever?

Definitely the 1D Mk III. Mine also worked perfectly.

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:40 PM
uz2work
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · The most controversial Canon ever?

jcolwell wrote:
+1

+1

My early serial number 1D Mark III focused better at shooting action, without question, than did my 1D Mark II. If the jump to 16 MP in the 1D Mark IV wasn't valuable to what I shoot, I would still be happily using the 1D Mark III today.

Unfortunately, the internet discussions, which were populated by some who may well have had genuine issues and also by others (including a number on this board) who didn't even own the camera but who seemed to enjoy fanning the flames, and those discussions led many, I'm sure, who would have really enjoyed using the camera, to stay away.

Les

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:57 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · The most controversial Canon ever?

uz2work wrote:
+1

My early serial number 1D Mark III focused better at shooting action, without question, than did my 1D Mark II. If the jump to 16 MP in the 1D Mark IV wasn't valuable to what I shoot, I would still be happily using the 1D Mark III today....

+1, again.

As of today, I'll be shooting a 1DX alongside my 1DIV. I'll sell my 1DsIII to help pay for the new capability.

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:05 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · The most controversial Canon ever?

EOS650/620

many loved them but there was a whole crowd who went absolutely insane over the thought of auto-focus (not very understandable IMO), never mind a new mount (more understandable)

i should have voted other (for the above) but i put down 1D3 just because of the well you know can't recall any other one of their Dslrs that was close to generating that controversy (i should say that I know someone who says their 1D3 focuses better than their 1D2n for sports, i've never used a 1D3 dot or no dot myself)

Edited on Aug 24, 2012 at 12:45 AM · View previous versions

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:19 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · The most controversial Canon ever?

actually the real answer is the EOS 3D since it's made for more controversy over all the years of it's non-existance than everything else combined (although many see the 5D3 as the 3D so perhaps it exists now, essentially- i actually thought the fabled 3D talk would go away but nope now it has turned into some sort of slow but high MP fantasy (which has what to do with the EOS 3) instead of a small body with top AF and decent speed job (ala 5D3 other than maybe it needed 7fps to really truly be the 3D, but close enough))

Edited on Aug 24, 2012 at 03:14 AM · View previous versions

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:22 AM
Tom Dix
• • •
p.1 #12 · The most controversial Canon ever?

gotta be the 1d3, at least from this list

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:26 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · The most controversial Canon ever?

Well, if you include cameras past and potential, the most controversial Canon of all time has to be the EOS650!

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/film/data/1986-1990/1987_eos650.html?lang=us&categ=crn&page=1986-1990

This marked the end of Canon FD manual focus lenses. All Canon users were in the awkward position that buying the new Canon camera meant that you had to buy all new lenses. At the time, I was shooting Pentax, and so I was fine.

Can you imagine... ?

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:33 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · The most controversial Canon ever?

jcolwell wrote:
Well, if you include cameras past and potential, the most controversial Canon of all time has to be the EOS650!

http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/film/data/1986-1990/1987_eos650.html?lang=us&categ=crn&page=1986-1990

This marked the end of Canon FD manual focus lenses. All Canon users were in the awkward position that buying the new Canon camera meant that you had to buy all new lenses. At the time, I was shooting Pentax, and so I was fine.

Can you imagine... ?

luckily I was just a very little kid with just a 50 so the switch didn't mean much and I liked the idea of AF (but man the so many old timers and 'true' and 'serious' and 'real' photographers just went absolutely insane over just the concept alone of auto-focus, funny that many of the same crowd now wouldn't be caught dead with anything less than 1 series AF )

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:49 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · The most controversial Canon ever?

The EOS-M certainly takes the summer price with 30 or so pages generated in a single thread and nobody actually owns it yet. The EOS 3D probably scores the longevity award as it's many fabled arse has been discussed and photoshopped continuously since 2005 or so. I thought the 5D3 debut would put an end to the 3D fantasy but it lives on. We need a plastic FF with ECF and less than 3 FPS to earn the 3D moniker.

Edited on Aug 24, 2012 at 01:09 AM · View previous versions

Aug 24, 2012 at 01:06 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · The most controversial Canon ever?

AE-1.

EBH

Aug 24, 2012 at 01:09 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · The most controversial Canon ever?

skibum5 wrote:
luckily I was just a very little kid with just a 50 so the switch didn't mean much and I liked the idea of AF (but man the so many old timers and 'true' and 'serious' and 'real' photographers just went absolutely insane over just the concept alone of auto-focus, funny that many of the same crowd now wouldn't be caught dead with anything less than 1 series AF )

It's 25 years later and if those purest old timers/true photogs are still alive they be old farts with feeble eyesight. Micro prism and matte focusing screens are not compatible with walkers whereas AF is...

Aug 24, 2012 at 01:16 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · The most controversial Canon ever?

Gochugogi wrote:
...It's 25 years later and if those purest old timers/true photogs are still alive they be old farts with feeble eyesight. Micro prism and matte focusing screens are not compatible with walkers whereas AF is...

Twenty-five years? I have socks older than that!

I've been a serious photomatographer since 1974. That's 38 years, and counting. I expect to keep on shooting with the big stuff (AF and MF) for at least another 14 years. After that, I'll go back to crayons...

Edited on Aug 24, 2012 at 01:23 AM · View previous versions

Aug 24, 2012 at 01:22 AM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · The most controversial Canon ever?

Has to be the 1d3. Mine worked flawlessly.

Tim

Aug 24, 2012 at 01:22 AM
pKai
• • •
p.1 #20 · The most controversial Canon ever?

IDK -- the 1D3 had a genuine problem that Canon was sluggish (?) in recognizong and then got fixed. That's not "controversy" in my book.

OTOH, since the 7D came out in 2009, I've been reading argument after argument about how its either the crappiest camera since the Lomo or the camera Jesus Christ himself designed. There are active topics on this right now.

Production has been consistent, there have been no "bad batches"... are these combatants really shooting the same camera? Now THAT'S controversy!

I vote for the 7D -- hands down.

Edited on Aug 24, 2012 at 01:35 AM · View previous versions

Aug 24, 2012 at 01:33 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password