Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Ipad Users , something interesting

Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Ipad Users , something interesting

OK first a little back story:

I love my Ipad to bits and feel that without a few irritating things (mostly Apple fault) it could be one of the best photo companions to a DSLR around.
But while the Camera connection kit is a great bit of kit it does throw up a couple of issues. If you shoot RAW you fill up the Ipad (even my 64gig one) pretty quickly (and also RAW is not needed on the ipad) . if you shoot RAW+Jpeg there is no easy way to seperate the 2 formats. it would great if you could just import the Jpeg, but uptil now Ive not found any way to do that (OK there is the EYE-FI but more of that in a bit)

Solution 1:
Use the EYE-FI. But I dont want an expensive 8 gig card that will fill up with RAW files .

Solution 2:
airstash
this allows you to insert an SD card and via the FREE app send your files to the Camera Roll. but it has a function that sends only a Jpeg from the Raw file (I guess it uses the embedded jpeg) . so you can keep the raw file on card, and you dont have to shoot RAW+Jpeg.

Now for the good bit . Its one of only 2 ipad memory devices i have found (there are plenty of media streamers around , and some like the hyper drive take memory cards) that you can SEND image files from the ipad to the device. the only other one ive seen is the iflash but that is a fixed size and pretty expensive, whereas the airstash takes standard SD cards of any size.

There are downsides to it of course. the main one being it has to setup its own network so you cant browse the net while you on that network.
Its slower sending files to the device than from it. but its not that bad.
Oh and of course i use a CF camera (7D) so need to use a CF/SD adapter (but as the FW2.0 increased the buffer by quite a bit the speed drop shouldn't be such an issue)

other features:
It streams other content as well. I can stream a movie from it to my ipad , android phone and my daughter's android tablet . the android tablet thing is one reason i wanted something like this. she wants a fair bit of content on it (films / music etc) but its only got 16gig on board and cant take a card (most new tabs seem to be like this) .
My ipad will happily play music from the airstash, but the app wont play in the background if you doing other stuff (it will let you copy tracks to other apps on the ipad which do background play) . but interestingly my android phone will background play the music.

Cost of the device:
Amazon UK 80 inc an 8gig SD card . (can also get one with a 16 gig card for a few more)

Aug 23, 2012 at 04:23 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #2 · Ipad Users , something interesting

Can you explain this a little more? The website documentation is horrible; I don't understand how it works. Does the device create its own network that includes the SD card as a transmitter? If so, I'm interested... Please if you don't mind, talk me through the whole process in baby steps.

Thanks,
Paul

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:10 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Ipad Users , something interesting

Sure Paul,

The airstash holds a standard SD card (of any size) .

You connect the iPad (or other device) to the airstash via wifi . So to do this you have to drop off your existing wifi network and join the airstash.
As I mentioned there are plenty of media streamers from then likes of kingston , western digital, Seagate etc. they all seem to do the same in this respect . ie creat it's own network.

One connected you use the airstash app which finds the airstash ,

You then have a ui that's very similar to the 'Dropbox' app or the 'file browser' app. ie the left side has files and folders and the right is the viewing panel. You can like the other apps view in full screen also

If the card has images on it they appear on the left with their extension (xxxxxx.jpg) . You can view these in the pane on the right hand side. If the images are in separate folders you can go into a folder and the files are then listed (I have come accross some file apps that ignor folders completely and just lis files which is a pain, but this is better)

If you want to do more than browse there is an option to import from the card. This brings up. Preview thumbnail box where you tick the images you want or you can select all . It only does 1 folder at a time which is a good thing as then you don't have to wade thru so many images. Then you import.

It's pretty quick . The. Images go straight to the camera roll , so you can then build them into albums in the photo app on te iPad.

Until now I think this is very similar to those other media devices. They all seem to have their own app and can hold photos and video files.

BUT THIS IS WHERE THE AIRSTASH DIFFERES.

While still in the airstash app.
You also have the option of exporting files to the airstash. It's done in much the same way as importing. You bring up the export box which has a list of your albums in , you goto an album , choose the images and export.

There is a later firmware which allows you to create folders on the card from the app (previous firmware only used folders already on the card) .

I did say it was slower than importing , but I've done it a few times since and it seems to be the same. (maybe the signal was not so good the first time) .

If your camera takes SD then you can plug that card straight into the airstash. At the moment as I shoot to CF (waiting for a cf/SD adapter) I have had to copy over the DCIM folder to an SD card for testing.

Here's another good bit I've found:
I've always struggled with raw on the iPad. It can't use raw properly and raw takes up to much space, takes much longer to upload and is a general pain.
If you shoot raw+jpeg you can't easily separate the 2 formats . I have found an app called Filebrowser that does it , but it locks the files into its own not very good (for images) app . You can't export the images back to camera roll.

Anyway , if you have RAW files on the card to import, there is an option to convert to jpeg. So it only imports a jpeg from your raw file. You don't need to shoot dual format , and the raw stays on the card.

You can send files to ther apps. But it seems to be only one file at a time . This is probably a restriction of apples doing, as I've come across this in many other apps also. If the file is largelike a movie it takes a while to do, and the recieving app may not take the file .(I tried to send a movie to cinexplayer that didn't seem to receive it. Probably the recieving apps fault)

Oh and you can stream movies etc to multiple devices , again much like the other media streamers.

So that's it Basicly. It's not without it's faults.
You can't flck in and out of the app to do other things while importing/exporting (although it will pick up from where it left off when exporting , but you have to start the proccess again)

It seems to turn itself off sometimes when you swap cards . Not a big deal but still a bit of a pain.

And when I was streaming music to my iPad the app didn't run in the background . So if you come out of the app the music stops. I have an android phone that has an app as well. And it's would stream in the background .

On the whole it's a good little device.
If I wanted a solid stpstate media streamer then Kingston make one which is cheaper. But it has a fixed amount of memeory. WD and Seagate make larger disk based streamers but you have the issues of carrying around a hard drive all the time (and they cost a bit more)

But other than the very pricey fixed storage size iflash dive which plugs directly into the iPad I have not seen any other device that you can send image files to .

As I said it cost me 80 , which I think for what it does is a decent price. (SD memory is cheap) .

If the iPad wasn't so restrictive in the things it allows you to do with YOUR OWN files I wouldn't have such a use for a device like this .
But it's not and I can't see apple giving any greater access to the files. So this has some good uses.

Aug 24, 2012 at 08:14 AM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #4 · Ipad Users , something interesting

Thank you for the details.

If I understand correctly, you have to pull the card from your camera and put it in the airstash to import to the iPad, is that correct? Not like shooting tethered...

I am also an iPad lover, and I think the potential for using it as a sales tool to show images as I create them is huge if I can just figure out how to do it without having to run it through a laptop first. To me that kinda defeats the purpose.

Paul

Aug 24, 2012 at 01:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Ipad Users , something interesting

Oh yeah it's certainly not like shooting tethered.
If you want the best 'images straight to the iPad' route then I would say the eye-fi card into shutter snitch .
But for me I don't need instant transfer and 8gig for the eyefi cards are to small when you don't want to transfer raw files.

As I said above , if apple would have made it easy to separate raw from jpeg or convert at transfer then that would be great. Problem is they don't, and probably never will (they do seem to love to hamper a great device) .

Aug 24, 2012 at 03:50 PM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #6 · Ipad Users , something interesting

The light is slowly coming on... Thanks again for the details. The only advantage for me would be viewing without actually downloading to the iPad. Nce feature, but not sure it is worth the coins they are asking.

Paul

Aug 24, 2012 at 09:44 PM
smjphoto
• •
p.1 #7 · Ipad Users , something interesting

Paul,
Im pretty sure you can already view what's on a sd card by just inserting it into the apple sd adapter. Just don't actually import.

Aug 31, 2012 at 02:51 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Ipad Users , something interesting

No with the camera connection kit you only get the thumbnails . You can't use it to view images on the card. With the connection kit you have to download to view.

I've just got my cf/SD. Adapter . So I'll have a more of a play with things and then I'll come back with some more feedback.

Aug 31, 2012 at 08:02 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password