Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Great Idea or The Best Idea EVER??? read inside

NanoFiber

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Great Idea or The Best Idea EVER??? read inside

Figured I share something with the community....

I've been having this on my mind in awhile. To be able to broadcast a Wedding Ceremony LIVE (video) on my website while I'm Photographing it. Until just a few days ago this seemed impossible. Needless to say the new CoolPix is bringing this goal closer than it has ever been. I don't know if that camera can do it (stream life online with maybe some app) but the announcement of that kind of technology is very exciting to me.

On paper it sounds like a great up sale opportunity and the ability to offer something that nobody does.

So what do you guys think of that idea?

Edited on Aug 23, 2012 at 02:50 PM · View previous versions

Aug 23, 2012 at 02:39 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Great Idea or The Best Idea EVER??? read inside

So you would shoot a whole wedding with a Coolpix?

Are you talking video or stills?

Either way, I think this idea is half baked...give it 5-10 years more time in the oven and it may be feasible.

Aug 23, 2012 at 02:48 PM
NanoFiber

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Great Idea or The Best Idea EVER??? read inside

No. The Coolpix or 2 will be on static locations shooting video that will be streaming onto my blog.

As I said untill this anouncment this didn't even seem possible, now it does. Maybe not with this camera but when they polish the technology. Then again maybe somebody will come up with an Android App that will be able to stream video.

Aug 23, 2012 at 02:50 PM
prh5551
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Great Idea or The Best Idea EVER??? read inside

If I watch one of your weddings do I have to send a gift

Prh

Aug 23, 2012 at 02:54 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Great Idea or The Best Idea EVER??? read inside

If all you want is a static shot of the ceremony, you can already do that with a laptop, a good webcam and a wireless plan from your cell phone company.

Live webcams are almost as old as the internet.

Aug 23, 2012 at 02:55 PM
sowega

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Great Idea or The Best Idea EVER??? read inside

You would need some pretty reliable bandwidth to be able to do this reliably with any good quality. 4g would cost you an arm and a leg since most all major providers are charging by amount of monthly usage, and that's even if the venue is in a 4g LTE footprint. Otherwise, you would be dependent on the venue having a fiber based high speed internet capability.

A typical 1g upload speed (which MANY cable companies have as standard in all but big cities now) just wont cut hidef video streaming.

Aug 23, 2012 at 02:56 PM
canondoc
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Great Idea or The Best Idea EVER??? read inside

Phones have been able to do this for a long time.... this is nothing ground breaking in any way.

Aug 23, 2012 at 02:58 PM
NanoFiber

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Great Idea or The Best Idea EVER??? read inside

DTOB wrote:
If all you want is a static shot of the ceremony, you can already do that with a laptop, a good webcam and a wireless plan from your cell phone company.

Live webcams are almost as old as the internet.

I thought of that but you sacrifice mobility and most of all quality. Also logistics will be harder. All I will have to move with this is a little tiny camera on a tripod not a laptop with somehow attached web camera. All I will need is a Hotspot that I can probably produce with my phone.

Also in the begining it might be fisible only if the event venue has Wi-Fi. My last 2 weddings did. So the camera just goes through the wi-fi and streams through there not through 4g.

Its just an idea so I figured I throw it up here and see what people think.

Edited on Aug 23, 2012 at 03:04 PM · View previous versions

Aug 23, 2012 at 02:58 PM
James R
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Great Idea or The Best Idea EVER??? read inside

Shooting a wedding is driven by the couple. If that is what they want, then it is the videotographer's, or videographer's, job to provide it. Personally, I find streaming static cameras invasive. Do we need to see Uncle Bob pick his nose, or Aunt Jenny adjust her girdle? Maybe just have the cameras on the actual wedding ceremony. I pitty the poor guy who is stuck watching a wedding that conflicts with the "big game."

Aug 23, 2012 at 03:04 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Great Idea or The Best Idea EVER??? read inside

sowega wrote:
4g would cost you an arm and a leg since most all major providers are charging by amount of monthly usage, and that's even if the venue is in a 4g LTE footprint. Otherwise, you would be dependent on the venue having a fiber based high speed internet capability.

A typical 1g upload speed (which MANY cable companies have as standard in all but big cities now) just wont cut hidef video streaming.

Well considering the OP is talking about adding this as an upgrade option for a client, I would imagine the cost of the 4g plan or whatver would be rolled into the charges and passed along to said client.

But, I really don't think a camera like this coolpix is opening up any new doors. Maybe 10 years down the line when the D6 has 4g or whatever the speed of the day is, and data plans are unlimited for less than $100...

I still think a laptop and a full HD webcam would do what you need....it's just dependent on your connection speed.

If you google "live wedding broadcast", there are already companies that are commercializing this idea.

Aug 23, 2012 at 03:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Chestnut
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Great Idea or The Best Idea EVER??? read inside

We have considered a live video broadcast of our wedding this past summer, since a lot of friends and family can' be there. But logistics of reliability, bandwidth, etc. just wasn't coming together, and proved to be a waste of time and money go continue down that road.

I wish it was easier, but ... it's "easier said than done". ("Done", sure no problem. "Done well", very difficult without a lot of help.)

It's not like I'm Apple, and can have all the dedicated bandwidth I want to broadcast my product announcements. And no, I won't wear jeans and a black mock turtle neck at my own wedding :P

Aug 23, 2012 at 03:22 PM
honorerdieu
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Great Idea or The Best Idea EVER??? read inside

Dumb idea.

Aug 23, 2012 at 03:28 PM
NanoFiber

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Great Idea or The Best Idea EVER??? read inside

Chestnut wrote:
We have considered a live video broadcast of our wedding this past summer, since a lot of friends and family can' be there. But logistics of reliability, bandwidth, etc. just wasn't coming together, and proved to be a waste of time and money go continue down that road.

I wish it was easier, but ... it's "easier said than done". ("Done", sure no problem. "Done well", very difficult without a lot of help.)

It's not like I'm Apple, and can have all the dedicated bandwidth I want to broadcast my product announcements. And no, I won't wear jeans and a black mock
...Show more

Well wouldn't a camera such as this (or with this kind of technology) help you? You can hook it up to the event Wi-Fi and broadcast like that? My Wedding last Saturday was at an university hall and the previous one was at a hotel's backyard. Both of the locations had a Wi-Fi readily available.

I live in VT and we get a fair share of out of state "mini destination" Weddings and I'm sure I can sell this and the thing is to set the expectations right. Don't promise the broadcast will look like an episode of Hard Knocks hehe.

Aug 23, 2012 at 03:30 PM
Chestnut
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Great Idea or The Best Idea EVER??? read inside

NanoFiber,

Like I said, yeah, the idea is good, and I've considered it at my own wedding! But I found that the hardest part is in implementing them consistently and with "watchable" quality. With all the guests having WiFi/3G/4G enabled devices at one place, and especially when the venue is at a hotel/country club/restaurant/event hall/etc., bandwidth is a real issue, even if it is over WiFi.

If you're offering a free service (on top of your other paid services), and with very low expectation of streaming quality, that may be ok, but it would be a bit frustrating to watch on the other end. I just don't see grandparents/family/friends, sitting at a computer/couch watching a very jittery and unstable broadcast of a wedding. I think they'd rather have a high quality condensed video very shortly after the wedding (hosted on Vimeo or something); I know my friends and family did.

The videographer that we hired whipped up a great 5min condensed video of our wedding ceremonies (yes, plural) within hours, and we were able to point our friends to a Vimeo link the night of our wedding (considering wedding day prep started at 7:30am, our wedding ceremonies formally started at 9am, and ended around 3pm, highlights of all included in the video). It was a good video, and people enjoyed the length (or lack thereof) of the video, but still being able to see all the highlights, and on their own time. To them, it wasn't as important to see it the very second it happened (since it was a 12-15 hour time difference for them), but the ability to see it as soon as they wanted to, when they wanted to, was great. And since they were all viewing it at different times, and from a powerful hosting site (Vimeo), streaming video quality was great.

Aug 23, 2012 at 04:11 PM
mblea041

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Great Idea or The Best Idea EVER??? read inside

This can be done and WAS done very well during the Occupy Wall Street marches and rallies in New York City. You should research more about how they did it and what services they used. This could def be a selling point to brides, esp for family and friends that can't make it out for the big day.

Aug 31, 2012 at 12:05 AM
DontShoot
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Great Idea or The Best Idea EVER??? read inside

No one wants to be stuck in a wedding so if I have to watch one, they have to send me some food afterwards

Aug 31, 2012 at 07:02 PM
Andre Labonte
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Great Idea or The Best Idea EVER??? read inside

I'm not sure that a coolpix is the right tool, but the basic idea is one that some people would love, expecially if they have family and fiends in far away places that cannot be there in person.

Sep 01, 2012 at 03:04 AM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Great Idea or The Best Idea EVER??? read inside

sowega wrote:
You would need some pretty reliable bandwidth to be able to do this reliably with any good quality. 4g would cost you an arm and a leg since most all major providers are charging by amount of monthly usage, and that's even if the venue is in a 4g LTE footprint. Otherwise, you would be dependent on the venue having a fiber based high speed internet capability.

Like he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sep 01, 2012 at 03:34 PM
jctriguy
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Great Idea or The Best Idea EVER??? read inside

The technology for this has been around for a long time. Google wedcast. The POVcameras started getting wireless transmitter add-ons over the last few years. Webcasting is nothing new, only change now is the gradual reduction in price.

Wifi would easily handle this. It doesn't need to stream full hd.

Sep 01, 2012 at 03:58 PM
boshek
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Great Idea or The Best Idea EVER??? read inside

prh5551 wrote:
If I watch one of your weddings do I have to send a gift

Prh

very good!!

Sep 01, 2012 at 10:32 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register