Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Canon Rokinon 85 1.4

gpop
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · Canon Rokinon 85 1.4

jaredcolletti wrote:
Is there a chip for this cam to get the exposure meter to move?

I got his lens yesterday and I agree that the minimum focus distance of a ~3' isn't cool but it has alot of potential, IMO. I understand the chip for AF beep confirmation. I would love a chip that gave me an idea if I'm over or under on the meter, BEFORE, I took the shot.

I don't think the chip will make any difference to the exposure metering.

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:10 PM
jaredcolletti
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · Canon Rokinon 85 1.4

I hear ya gpop, is there anyway to get exposure metering before pressing the shutter down? I find that the most disappointing feature. I shoot manual most of the time but I wish I could adjust proactively, not reactivity. Thanks for your response, Man.

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:25 PM
gpop
• • •
p.2 #3 · Canon Rokinon 85 1.4

I think your canon camera will meter correctly in Av/M modes, simply choose your aperture setting on the lens, the body will figure out the rest. I don't recall any major issues with metering on any of the bodies I've tried that lens on.

obviously the body can't control your aperture setting, but it should be able to meter correctly at any setting you desire.

I'll often focus at f1.4, dial it down to whatever I need (on the lens) and then fire away.
then I curse who-ever-the-heck designed that pos hood. (now firmly taped in place)

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:53 PM
jaredcolletti
• •
p.2 #4 · Canon Rokinon 85 1.4

Gotcha, I'm a little slow gpop, I got it now. Ditto on the hood, it's pretty weak at best. If. Gotta get that focus beep chip though, definitely. Thanks Man.

Aug 25, 2012 at 01:10 AM
michael49
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · Canon Rokinon 85 1.4

saneproduction wrote:
+1

Or get a Sony NEX and use the EVF with focus peaking - MF is a breeze.

Aug 25, 2012 at 01:14 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.2 #6 · Canon Rokinon 85 1.4

jaredcolletti wrote:
Is there a chip for this cam to get the exposure meter to move?

I got his lens yesterday and I agree that the minimum focus distance of a ~3' isn't cool but it has alot of potential, IMO. I understand the chip for AF beep confirmation. I would love a chip that gave me an idea if I'm over or under on the meter, BEFORE, I took the shot.

I think the long MFD is a standard of 85mm lenses. Certainly the two Canon 85mm's are not different. I also find it annoying at times.

Aug 25, 2012 at 05:45 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

jaredcolletti
• •
p.2 #7 · Canon Rokinon 85 1.4

I'm wondering if these guys installing different focus screens are onto something?

Aug 25, 2012 at 01:20 PM
15Bit
• • • •
p.2 #8 · Canon Rokinon 85 1.4

jaredcolletti wrote:
I'm wondering if these guys installing different focus screens are onto something?

Its not a big secret you know That said, you need a decent size VF for it to be any good. I don't known how well i would do with an xxD.

The chips are easy to fit. Thread here on that:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1013787/

Aug 25, 2012 at 02:00 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · Canon Rokinon 85 1.4

ScooberJake wrote:
Doesn't the 40D have LiveView? That is what I use with this lens on my 5DmII. Obviously LiveView isn't a great solution in all situations. But I use this lens for senior portraits. I don't use it all the time, but I pull it out for a shot or two on most sessions when I want a very shallow DOF. LiveView works great for that, but I wouldn't want to shoot a whole session that way.

Yes (although it's not the best . As the screen is lower res than the modern bodies) and also the 40D has user replaceable screens . So you can get the high precision 'S' screen for it

Aug 25, 2012 at 02:31 PM
DCRobinson
• • •
p.2 #10 · Canon Rokinon 85 1.4

michael49 wrote:
Or get a Sony NEX and use the EVF with focus peaking - MF is a breeze.

I use the Samyang version of this lens on both my Canon 5D MKII and Sony NEX 5N. I hear magic Lantern includes a Focus peaking option for the 5D. That would be worth checking out. Focus peaking is a great MF aid on the Sony.

Dave

Aug 25, 2012 at 02:53 PM
ZoneV
• • •
p.2 #11 · Canon Rokinon 85 1.4

I donīt have the Rokinon / Samyang 85mm/1.4 - and I think I would only buy one very cheap for testing it.

From what I saw and read it has most times a good image quality - for a great price.
The price is that low, partly because of cheap lens build quality. I read about a lot of Samyang 85mm lenses with stuck iris. Every now and then such a lens is on Ebay.
Some few have a wooly bokeh - so perform tests before buying.
Furthermore I prefer non-aspherical lenses for the bokeh - donīt love the onion rings. I have the Canon FD 85/1.2L, and donīt like it very much. The Zeiss Contax 85/1.4 is better in this regard. But worse image quality at short distance with extension tubes.

Aug 25, 2012 at 03:55 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password