Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · D800 & Capture NX2 Users, RAW processing Question

Todd
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D800 & Capture NX2 Users, RAW processing Question

Hey folks, I picked up a D800 today from my local camera store here in Austin. I use NX2 for all of my processing and compared to my D800E I purchased 3 months ago, I've had to change my sharpening techniques a bit to get the images close to the "E". Anyway, my question is: What sharpening settings do you use for you 800 RAW files? So far I find in camera sharpening set to 1 (Under modified picture control) , then I use USM 75, 7, 7. Of course this is not set in stone and seems kind of excessive for the d800 but the settings will change depending on the scene. So I ask that you share your settings with me, Capture NX2 users only please. I don't use photoshop or lightroom. I want to know what gives you all the best results for landscapes and portraits. Thanks..

Todd

Aug 23, 2012 at 02:57 AM
tmak54952
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D800 & Capture NX2 Users, RAW processing Question

I sure would like to see some answers to your question as I use NX2 with my D90 and was wondering how NX2 would fare with the large D00 files. Guess we'll have to wait for some answers!

Aug 23, 2012 at 05:16 PM
Todd
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D800 & Capture NX2 Users, RAW processing Question

What's up? You people don't use NX2 with the D800? I suggest you all participate as your experiences will help us all.

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:29 PM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D800 & Capture NX2 Users, RAW processing Question

30-5-2 are my starting settings. I will go up from there based on the subject matter, lens or aperture used.

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:56 PM
jhinkey
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D800 & Capture NX2 Users, RAW processing Question

My base settings are 40-4-4 on USM. These are for generic batch convert to full size .jpg files. If a lens is sharper I might dial it down to 20-4-4 - if it's softer I might go to 80-4-4. It's real easy with NX2 USM to get halos so I try to export to .tif and use smart sharpen and bicubic sharper in CS6 when doing something serious and downsampling/downsizing.

John

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:19 AM
Todd
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D800 & Capture NX2 Users, RAW processing Question

Bruce Sawle wrote:
30-5-2 are my starting settings. I will go up from there based on the subject matter, lens or aperture used.

Hey Bruce, Thanks for the support. I saw this earlier on another forum, It works well.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1021&message=42326258

Todd

Aug 24, 2012 at 02:20 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Todd
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D800 & Capture NX2 Users, RAW processing Question

jhinkey wrote:
My base settings are 40-4-4 on USM. These are for generic batch convert to full size .jpg files. If a lens is sharper I might dial it down to 20-4-4 - if it's softer I might go to 80-4-4. It's real easy with NX2 USM to get halos so I try to export to .tif and use smart sharpen and bicubic sharper in CS6 when doing something serious and downsampling/downsizing.

John

Thanks John..... I'll try those settings to see if they work well for me. I appreciate you input.

Todd

Aug 24, 2012 at 02:22 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D800 & Capture NX2 Users, RAW processing Question

Are you doing any additional sharpening after downsizing for the web?

I usually apply a USM first at full size and then after the resize, I do another sharpening with a high pass filter...

When I read the sharpening technique by one of the landscape posters, it was a several step iterative process...

Aug 24, 2012 at 04:14 AM
Kaj E
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D800 & Capture NX2 Users, RAW processing Question

Suppose you are talking about Capture Sharpening. This should not induce any halos whatsoever, but make edges as crisp as possible at 400% view. I typically undo the in camera sharpening and apply USM with a radius of 2 or 3 amount 50-100, no threshold. This is for low ISO. otherwise first noise reduction then sharpening based on same 400% criteria.

Artistic and output sharpening follow based on image type, size and output media.

Aug 30, 2012 at 03:39 PM
mshi
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D800 & Capture NX2 Users, RAW processing Question

I don't do any sharpening in RAW Converters alone because Photoshop can give you much much more control.

Aug 30, 2012 at 03:44 PM
Kaj E
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D800 & Capture NX2 Users, RAW processing Question

mshi wrote:
I don't do any sharpening in RAW Converters alone because Photoshop can give you much much more control.

How do you do your capture sharpening for D800 files?

Aug 30, 2012 at 05:56 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password