Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · How do you retouch subject with skin imperfection ?

mjoshi
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · How do you retouch subject with skin imperfection ?

Here is image that I need some suggestion on how to retouch girl's face, specifically she has some issues on nose which needs to be retouched. But should I be going thru each and every blemish on face because that will make it look like totally someone else instead of her.

Aug 22, 2012 at 08:47 PM
Copypaste
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · How do you retouch subject with skin imperfection ?

I'd just get rid of temporary blemishes, like pimples or a scar that is healing. Everything else I pretty much keep as it is, because that is part of who that person is.

Aug 22, 2012 at 08:52 PM
Greggbhill
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · How do you retouch subject with skin imperfection ?

On my iPad, they look more like freckles (like on her shoulders)
I clone (LR heal tool) from an area nearby so the skin looks consistent
I'd also fix the one below the guy's lip

Aug 22, 2012 at 08:56 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · How do you retouch subject with skin imperfection ?

you might want to clone/heal them out on a separate layer and then drive down the opacity a bit to bring them back like 50+%

Aug 22, 2012 at 08:56 PM
James_N
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · How do you retouch subject with skin imperfection ?

Hmmm...its not at all difficult to retouch and there are several approaches you could use. Does she really have the "imperfection" in real life?

But what I really see is the shadow cast by the lighting is one the left side of her nose rather than below her nostrils as is typical; indicating that perhaps your light wasn't raised high enough.

Aug 22, 2012 at 09:15 PM
mjoshi
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · How do you retouch subject with skin imperfection ?

Thanks guys this were taken using natural light no flash fired for this image. I'm more concered with area on and around her nose.

Aug 22, 2012 at 09:42 PM
James_N
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · How do you retouch subject with skin imperfection ?

How about this? I used a blank layer, filled it with 50% Grey, changed the blend mode to Overlay and brush opacity to 10% and painted on her nose. By switching between a white and black brush the effect is dodging and burning the area.

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:43 PM
mjoshi
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · How do you retouch subject with skin imperfection ?

Thanks that looks pretty clean.

Aug 23, 2012 at 12:21 AM
newhaven
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · How do you retouch subject with skin imperfection ?

I used the inverted high pass technique.

Aug 23, 2012 at 05:31 PM
Jman13
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · How do you retouch subject with skin imperfection ?

First question: Is the part on her nose a permanent part of her skin? If so, does she want you to remove it? If it is permanent and you haven't had a request, I would absolutely keep it the way it is in real life, or you risk really offending the person.

Aug 23, 2012 at 05:37 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

gmtucek

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · How do you retouch subject with skin imperfection ?

James_N wrote:
How about this? I used a blank layer, filled it with 50% Grey, changed the blend mode to Overlay and brush opacity to 10% and painted on her nose. By switching between a white and black brush the effect is dodging and burning the area.

Wow, nice work! Going to attempt this myself

Aug 23, 2012 at 05:53 PM
gmtucek

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · How do you retouch subject with skin imperfection ?

newhaven wrote:

Could you perhaps elaborate on that, kindly?

Aug 23, 2012 at 05:55 PM
James_N
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · How do you retouch subject with skin imperfection ?

gmtucek wrote:
Wow, nice work! Going to attempt this myself

Think about it this way; in a digital fine a wrinkle, crease, etc. is simply an area of shadow and can be easily altered by dodging. This is how high-end retouchers work; they zoom in to the pixel level of a file and dodge and burn each pixel until they get the effect they want. You can even dodge further to open up some of the other shadows on both faces.

Aug 23, 2012 at 07:20 PM
newhaven
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · How do you retouch subject with skin imperfection ?

Inverted high pass discussion

Aug 23, 2012 at 07:48 PM
matthewbmedia
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · How do you retouch subject with skin imperfection ?

Aperture's skin softening brush is quite amazing.

Otherwise - ease up on "definition" or "clarity" sliders.

Aug 23, 2012 at 09:38 PM
gmtucek

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · How do you retouch subject with skin imperfection ?

James_N wrote:
Think about it this way; in a digital fine a wrinkle, crease, etc. is simply an area of shadow and can be easily altered by dodging. This is how high-end retouchers work; they zoom in to the pixel level of a file and dodge and burn each pixel until they get the effect they want. You can even dodge further to open up some of the other shadows on both faces.

Ah, I see. Thank you very much

Aug 24, 2012 at 06:04 PM
gmtucek

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · How do you retouch subject with skin imperfection ?

newhaven wrote:
Inverted high pass discussion

Thanks for the link. Found some excellent tutorial vids on the site

Aug 24, 2012 at 06:04 PM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · How do you retouch subject with skin imperfection ?

Jman13 wrote:
First question: Is the part on her nose a permanent part of her skin? If so, does she want you to remove it? If it is permanent and you haven't had a request, I would absolutely keep it the way it is in real life, or you risk really offending the person.

In all the years I've done portraits, I've never had a woman criticize me for doing too much, but I have had a couple criticize me for doing too little.

A photograph emphasizes faults. When we interact with a woman in person, her face and the light upon it are in constant motion, and as well, they are obscured by her actual personality and character. But a photograph fixes the light and freezes the movement and removes everything from the total experience of her character that would distract us from seeing the facial flaws.

In addition, the photograph inevitably distorts the perception of proportions of face and body simply as a fact of projecting a three dimensional object into a two-dimensional space.

As photographers, it is our job to counteract the distortions and flaw overemphasis of the photograph and reproduce the subject as she sees herself...and if at all possible, how she wants to see herself. Remove temporary blemishes for sure, but at least lighten even the flaws that you allow...because she doesn't see them that clearly and sharply, and even if she does, she hopes no one else does.

Aug 25, 2012 at 03:01 AM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · How do you retouch subject with skin imperfection ?

newhaven wrote:

That's probably how she wants to see herself.

Aug 25, 2012 at 03:03 AM
paulhodson
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · How do you retouch subject with skin imperfection ?

RDKirk wrote:
In all the years I've done portraits, I've never had a woman criticize me for doing too much, but I have had a couple criticize me for doing too little.

A photograph emphasizes faults. When we interact with a woman in person, her face and the light upon it are in constant motion, and as well, they are obscured by her actual personality and character. But a photograph fixes the light and freezes the movement and removes everything from the total experience of her character that would distract us from seeing the facial flaws.

In addition, the photograph inevitably distorts
...Show more

An excellent point well explained.

Aug 25, 2012 at 01:46 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password