Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Trying to Standardize Quick Release System...

BiscottiGelato
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Trying to Standardize Quick Release System...

Story a little long. I have been using the 488 RC0 head for a while now. Also got a Benro superlight/small CF tripod with a tiny head that's Arca compatible. Recently I rented some monopod with some older 701 RC2 video head on it. Accidental touch of the release level resulted in about a 45 degrees of opening, and the entire camera flipped out!!! Being used to the 488 RC0, which requires 2 levers to be pushed before anything gets released, this was a nightmare! 2nd problem I had was I ended up with RC0, RC2, Q5 and the Benro faux Arca plate on the same day! The different plate types were a nightmare to manage!!!

So I am looking into standadizing my plate-type and my clamp systems. Arca type seems to be the most adopted 'style' out there, being some-what inter-brand compatible. I am still more comfortable with a lever style type of clamp. But it doesn't seem like there are any Arca lever clamps out there that has a 2 lever system like the RC0 quick releases does? I don't trust myself with thumb screw tightening. Single lever is just asking for disasters. I think a dual lever (safety locking lever and main lever) is the way to go. Not to mention, the RC0 quick release once open will remain open until I snap the RQ plate back in. At that point everything automatically locks back. Is there any arca style clamps that is equivilent in usability to the RC0 quick release that I had on my 488 ballhead? Thanks!

Aug 22, 2012 at 08:05 PM
PeaktoPeek
• • •
p.1 #2 · Trying to Standardize Quick Release System...

The bad thing about lever clamps is that they are a little less inter-brand compatible than screw clamps. I have had both lever and screw type clamps and they are way more solid than anything else. I originally swapped a RRS clamp onto my Bogen 488 head and it worked flawlessly and was fairly low cost. It took only a few minutes to remove the Bogen QR and replace it with the RRS clamp. I don't think I have seen any 2 lever arca type clamps out there, possibly because its not really needed since they are pretty fool proof.
Paul

Aug 22, 2012 at 08:18 PM
Nozzleforward
• • •
p.1 #3 · Trying to Standardize Quick Release System...

I use the RRS lever lock clamp (like this one) and have never had any issues with the lever. I had the same concern when I first looked at getting one, but those concerns have quickly been put to rest after using it for a while.

The Arca Swiss systems are worlds better than the Manfrotto plates. You can get parts from Kirk, RRS, Wimberley, all will work on eachothers clamps just fine.

Both the RRS clamps and the Kirk clamps are available in 1/4-20 mount types that will bolt directly to your Manfrotto head. The camera and lens plates obviously cost a bit more, but the mounting system is much nicer, easier to use, and much more solid.

Aug 22, 2012 at 08:20 PM
BiscottiGelato
• •
p.1 #4 · Trying to Standardize Quick Release System...

In terms of safety, I guess I'm okay with all of the Arcratech, RRS and even the Sunway foto offerings. That said, I am sure I'll miss the spring loaded mechanism offered on the RC0. Anything like that in the Arca world?

Aug 22, 2012 at 09:02 PM
gardenvalley
• • •
p.1 #5 · Trying to Standardize Quick Release System...

http://www.novoflex.com/en/products/camera-support-systems/quick-release-systems/qbase/

I wouldn`t use this, but you did ask.

Aug 22, 2012 at 09:26 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Trying to Standardize Quick Release System...

I'd dump all the non-Arca stuff.

Pretty much all of the Arca stuff plays well, except of the RRS lever clamps have issues with other brands. That said, my RRS BH-40 with the B2 ASII clamp works great with my previous Kirk L-bracket and Sunwayfoto plate (and, of course with the RRS foot-plate I have).

It will sting the wallet some, at first, but I've loved it since I've had it...

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:43 PM
BiscottiGelato
• •
p.1 #7 · Trying to Standardize Quick Release System...

Nobody is missing the spring loaded levers that auto closes?

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:47 PM
M635_Guy
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Trying to Standardize Quick Release System...

BiscottiGelato wrote:

Nope, I really disliked Manfrotto and their entire plate system.

I *love* my RRS L-bracket.

The RRS quick-release clamps open 90 to allow movement, but still have capture of the camera. You have to get it nearly to 180 to release the camera from the clamp. The Sunwayfoto quick release clamps have a safety against accidental unlocking. I've never had the problem with my RRS plate.

I've been using an XB-44 head from Sunwayfoto for a while now, and it came with a screw-type clamp. I've never gotten around to swapping my RRS head on there because I've been really surprised how much I liked the screw-clamp.

Aug 23, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Nozzleforward
• • •
p.1 #9 · Trying to Standardize Quick Release System...

I haven't missed that at all. I don't even see a purpose for it really.

Aug 23, 2012 at 12:04 AM
Roland W
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · Trying to Standardize Quick Release System...

It has been about 7 years since I dumped my Manfrotto/Bogen quick release systems, and dove in to Arca Swiss. I am over 90% Really Right Stuff, and love every aspect of their hardwarde except the price, but they do deliver good value for those high prices.

I am a strong believer in the RRS lever release clamps, and love the speed and security they provide for my uses. They have generally worked fine on most other brands of plates if you end up having others. But as of this year, RRS changed their clamp design a little, so that it better clamps a wide variety of plates from other manufacturers. Browse to their web site and look at the description of most any of the lever release clamps, and you can read what they have to say about it. I have yet to purchase one of the newer ones, so I do not know how well they work, but I trust their stuff to do what it says it will. The change is an improvement that eliminates one of the only possible complaints about the RRS lever clamps.

Aug 23, 2012 at 02:42 AM
Paulthelefty
• • •
p.1 #11 · Trying to Standardize Quick Release System...

Arca Swiss is THE standard for a reason...

I have little experience with any other system, but I am also a lover of A-S. I have an Arca brand BH-1 head (screw type) that I picked up used. I use one Kirk and one RRS l-bracket on my 50D and 7D. I have Hejnar brand nodal slide and 300 2.8 plate on the foot. I also have a Kirk lens plate for my 70-200, and a Kirk monopod head coming in the mail. I cannot imagine using something else. It all just works, period.

Paul

Aug 23, 2012 at 05:17 AM
ISO1600
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Trying to Standardize Quick Release System...

Arca Swiss IS the standard.
Manfrotto/Bogen RC systems just never gained my trust. I've had a Kirk BH-3 head for 7+ years, and have used it with countless plates, had NO problems. I'll clamp it down on a camera, and trust it enough to sling over my shoulder and lug around like that. They are very strong, very secure, and only marginally slower to screw it down vs lever clamping it.

Aug 23, 2012 at 02:42 PM
BiscottiGelato
• •
p.1 #13 · Trying to Standardize Quick Release System...

Anybody with experience with the Sunwayfoto duo clamps? They look to be best of both worlds? My concern is the thumb screw side slipping overtime if I am mainly really just using the lever side.

http://www.sunwayfoto.com/html/products/201108/243.html

Aug 23, 2012 at 08:24 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · Trying to Standardize Quick Release System...

BiscottiGelato wrote:

I still use them for mounting strobes, flash, and light modifiers...

For cameras and lenses, I converted from a combination of Manfrotto RC2, RC4, and 357 sliding plate QR systems to Arca-Swiss (A-S) about four years ago. It's not an inexpensive decision, but for me, it's the right decision. I use RRS, Wimberley and Hjenar plates, L-brackets, rails, clamps (screw and clamp), and etc., with few problems and high confidence.

Aug 24, 2012 at 12:50 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · Trying to Standardize Quick Release System...

BiscottiGelato wrote:
Anybody with experience with the Sunwayfoto duo clamps? They look to be best of both worlds? My concern is the thumb screw side slipping overtime if I am mainly really just using the lever side.

http://www.sunwayfoto.com/html/products/201108/243.html

I have a similar Gitzo lever clamp.
The screw knob side is for adjusting the width of the clamp, and the lever side is for locking the clamp.

Aug 24, 2012 at 06:23 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password