Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · First official wedding solo

mosabi
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · First official wedding solo

I was asked earlier this year if I'd be willing to shoot a wedding, it was my wifes cousins best friend(bride) who had asked me. Although I told her I've never shot a wedding before they insisted on having me do it because they liked my previous work. I told her "Are you sure you want someone who has no wedding experience"? The bride and her fiance talked it over and decided they wanted me to photograph their day. As for cost lets just say I was extremely reasonable.

I was quite nervous to say the least, wondering what all I would need to invest in and what not. Making sure I had enough batteries, memory cards, a wide angle lens, a speedlight, etc... My first purchase was the 430ex II speedlight and secondly I purchased a Canon 17-55mm f/2.8 lens. The flash is what took some learning. The lens was sharp from the box and I have shot with it quite a bit prior to the big day. Friday, August 17th came and I found myself stocking up on AA batteries, clearing memory chips and charging batteries. I also had a backup camera I was getting ready as well. That evening I met the couple at the grooms supper and we went over a few things, the nervous feelings were setting in a bit but also I was excited to shoot my first wedding solo. The bride said to me "You'll do just fine". Saturday, August 18th came and about 10am I started getting things packed up because it was a 45 min drive to the city in which they got married. The rest is history, I had a fantastic time and I hope to do it again. I have a sneak peek on my Facebook page and I got a really nice comment from the bride already saying she loved the pictures.

Here is a sample of what I got for shots. I welcome critique.

Aug 22, 2012 at 06:51 PM
mccallmedia
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · First official wedding solo

Not bad for your very first wedding! If you do more you may want to invest in a quick prime to avoid flash/high iso's during receptions, something like an 85mm 1.8 or 50mm 1.4, both can be had for a few hundred and are invaluable in my opinion. Much better than a 2.8 zoom.

a few quick thoughts:

8 looks like way too much skin soothing or noise reduction was applied. Their skin looks kind of fake to me.

11 - WB looks a little too cool to me.

3 is my fav.

These all look great from a technical standpoint. Sharp focus, proper exposure, etc.

Aug 22, 2012 at 07:34 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #3 · First official wedding solo

Not bad! ... A couple of comments:

1. Use less skin smoothing like #8.. maybe it is your noise reduction
2. Work on your poses. Too many looky looky to the camera kind of shots. Mix it up... do some not looking, do some looking each other, do some with only one looking at the camera, look away same direction... etc.

Aug 22, 2012 at 07:45 PM
stevez32
• • • •
p.1 #4 · First official wedding solo

Looks okay, like was said, a bit too much skin processing on some.

Very traditional posed coverage that you have shown. I prefer to see more of the genuine emotions captured throughout the day.

Aug 22, 2012 at 07:46 PM
ShacharLee
• • •
p.1 #5 · First official wedding solo

mccallmedia wrote:
Not bad for your very first wedding! If you do more you may want to invest in a quick prime to avoid flash/high iso's during receptions, something like an 85mm 1.8 or 50mm 1.4, both can be had for a few hundred and are invaluable in my opinion. Much better than a 2.8 zoom.

it depends on how steady your hands are, if you are like me you will get more light with the IS. I used to have both lenses and when I needed more light I always switched to the zoom.

Aug 22, 2012 at 07:57 PM
mosabi
• •
p.1 #6 · First official wedding solo

mccallmedia~ Thank you for your critique!

#8 did have some skin softening/noise reduction added.
#11 her dress does look a bit cool, I'll see about correcting

As for a fast prime, I think thats a great idea to add to my arsenal. I think I would really enjoy an 85mm 1.8.

Aug 22, 2012 at 08:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

mosabi
• •
p.1 #7 · First official wedding solo

Robin Usagani wrote:
Not bad! ... A couple of comments:

1. Use less skin smoothing like #8.. maybe it is your noise reduction
2. Work on your poses. Too many looky looky to the camera kind of shots. Mix it up... do some not looking, do some looking each other, do some with only one looking at the camera, look away same direction... etc.

I agree #8 needs a bit of work yet. And yes I do need to work on posing, its a weak point I have. I did learn a lot from this wedding though. Thanks for your feedback!

Aug 22, 2012 at 08:05 PM
mosabi
• •
p.1 #8 · First official wedding solo

stevez32 wrote:
Very traditional posed coverage that you have shown. I prefer to see more of the genuine emotions captured throughout the day.

I'll agree with you here. The bride and groom never seen each other until the ceremony, I wish there was a lot more time for couple pictures but we had a small window right after the ceremony until the reception to get some decent shots.

Aug 22, 2012 at 08:07 PM
mosabi
• •
p.1 #9 · First official wedding solo

Here are a couple more I had to resize to work with imageshack.

Aug 22, 2012 at 08:13 PM
ACRe
• •
p.1 #10 · First official wedding solo

Very nice! I think this is a great first wedding.

Andrew

Aug 22, 2012 at 08:53 PM
mosabi
• •
p.1 #11 · First official wedding solo

ACRe wrote:
Very nice! I think this is a great first wedding.

Andrew

Appreciate it Andrew!

Aug 22, 2012 at 08:53 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password