New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 1DMkIV or ???

Tom Robinson
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1DMkIV or ???

Hi Guys,
I’d like to find out if there are any in this wonderful community who are printing their work and have hands on experience with the 5DIII and 1Dmk4 to help me in a purchasing decision.

A little about me: I shoot youth sports action on occasion but mostly T&I portraits tethered to a laptop using 40D’s and I print onsite outputting to dye-subs with a max size of 8x10. I’m happy with the 40D’s, but they’re getting old and I want to upgrade. What I hope to achieve in the upgrade is better dynamic range, more and better selectable autofocus points, pleasing natural color and the ability to shoot like I have a leaf shutter.

I thought the 5DIII would be the answer but finding the x-sync is only 1/200th max causes me concern. Shooting with the 40D’s and Quantum T2 flashes with Radio IVi’s, I can do 1/320th no problem. I am considering the 1Dmk4 with a1/250th x-sync with the hope it being a more robust professional shutter and 1.3 crop factor that I may squeeze abit faster. But at $4000 for a refurb using 3 year old technology that is essentially discontinued, I wonder if this is wise.

Thanks for your thoughts and opinions in advance.
Tom R.

Aug 22, 2012 at 12:53 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1DMkIV or ???

Why not pick up a lightly used 1D4 here on the boards for $3500? Also regardless of how old the 1D4 is and whether Canon discontinues the manufacturing of said camera, it still is a brilliant camera capable of holding its own against the 5D3, and in certain areas beating it. Look at the performance and features of each to make up your mind on which to get, and not how old it is or whether it is discontinued...

Aug 22, 2012 at 02:17 PM
3catsinky
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1DMkIV or ???

You could save some $$ by choosing a 1DIII instead since you arent printing bigger than 8x10. Save you about $2000 or so.

Aug 22, 2012 at 02:42 PM
jerrykur
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1DMkIV or ???

3catsinky wrote:
You could save some $$ by choosing a 1DIII instead since you arent printing bigger than 8x10. Save you about $2000 or so.

+1. The 1DMK3 sounds like a good fit at a much lower (< $1500) price.

Aug 22, 2012 at 03:03 PM
Tom Robinson
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1DMkIV or ???

Points well taken. I have considered the 1DSMIII which used seem too pricey to me even though I hear the files are gorgeous. Correct me if I am wrong, the 1DMIII itself doesn't have USB 2.0 and I believe wouldn't be fast enough in my tethered workflow.
I have considered the used ones on the board but for $500 more feel better about a refurb from Canon direct (90Day warranty, etc.)

Have you guys printed from your files? Are you happy with the skin tone results?S

Aug 22, 2012 at 05:15 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1DMkIV or ???

3catsinky wrote:

+1 as long as you are very careful about the copy you buy.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Aug 22, 2012 at 05:20 PM
rolette
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1DMkIV or ???

Tom Robinson wrote:
I am considering the 1Dmk4 with a1/250th x-sync...

Max x-sync on the 1D4 is 1/300th

Aug 22, 2012 at 07:25 PM
dgenx24
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1DMkIV or ???

I just bought one used and its on the way. i'm so excited!
my 5 yrs old leica m8.2 with pretty much no technology at all still produces stunning quality images which I prefer than most of current digital cameras.
I'm pretty sure MK4 will worth every penny.

Aug 22, 2012 at 07:35 PM
TeamSpeed
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1DMkIV or ???

Tom Robinson wrote:
Points well taken. I have considered the 1DSMIII which used seem too pricey to me even though I hear the files are gorgeous. Correct me if I am wrong, the 1DMIII itself doesn't have USB 2.0 and I believe wouldn't be fast enough in my tethered workflow.
I have considered the used ones on the board but for $500 more feel better about a refurb from Canon direct (90Day warranty, etc.)

Have you guys printed from your files? Are you happy with the skin tone results?

The 1D3 is USB 2.0... USB 2.0 is pretty old at this point, and the 1D3 not so much.

Aug 22, 2012 at 07:37 PM
Tom Robinson
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1DMkIV or ???

1/300th, even better yet! Everybody seems to love the 1dmiii.....I need to find out what Yakeem meant by being careful to get a "good" copy.
Still wanting to hear from anyone who has made prints ......Anyone

Aug 22, 2012 at 08:38 PM
Tom Robinson
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 1DMkIV or ???

Thanks Teamspeed. I thought only the 1dSiii had 2.0 Appreciate your clarification....

Aug 22, 2012 at 08:41 PM
CSStevens
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 1DMkIV or ???

By "good" copy he's probably referring to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EOS-1D_Mark_III#Problems

Something which has seemingly been fixed in the vast majority of existing bodies. I got my 1D3 a month ago thru KEH and am loving it. One downside is that you can only select 19 of the 45 AF points, but otherwise it's great.

Aug 22, 2012 at 09:29 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 1DMkIV or ???

For a maximum of 8x10 you could do with just the original 1D with a flash-sync of 1/500.

Aug 22, 2012 at 09:40 PM
pKai
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 1DMkIV or ???

For your tethered work a used 5D2 (<$1500) would be your best bet IQ-wise. At 8x10 your results would be positively stunning.

For your action sports... the 5D2, not so much.... You could, however, buy a used 5D2 and a used 7D (<$1,000) for less than the price of a used 1D4 and have 2 bodies.

As for the "pro" build.... Yes, its great, but for your purposes, it sounds like you'd be paying for overkill.

Just my .02.

Aug 22, 2012 at 09:58 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 1DMkIV or ???

Imagemaster wrote:
For a maximum of 8x10 you could do with just the original 1D with a flash-sync of 1/500.

Haha, I was thinking the exact same thing... but IMO the 1D is a much better RAW camera than JPEG. The default Canon color profiles for it were always a bit wonky. Also it's a Firewire tether. Mind you, the RAW file sizes from it are something like only around 4MB, so inline with full-rez Jpegs from higher rez cameras. The other neat thing about the 1D is the way the CCD sensor works, you can sync flash exposures well above 1/500 because at these speeds, the sensor itself is acting as the shutter, rather than the mechanical shutter, IIRC...

Regarding the 1DIII/IV. Look into the PocketWizard radios such as the MiniTT1 that feature HyperSync, which will allow you to push the flash sync somewhat beyond the default fastest setting.

http://www.pocketwizard.com/products/transmitter_receiver/minitt1-canon/
http://wiki.pocketwizard.com/index.php?title=Understanding_HyperSync_and_High_Speed_Sync

With the 1DIV I've pushed it to the 1/500-1/640 range, but it depends a great deal on the flash you're using and what that flash's flash duration is at whatever power setting you're using. You want to use it at settings where flash duration is longer, which is usually at full power (though monolight type lights in most cases have longer flash durations at lower power settings). I'm not really familiar with the Q flashes in this regard (and their website doesn't seem to provide this info either). Flashes with longer flash durations work better with HyperSync because the way this feature works, it's sampling only a portion of the flash output, and you want that output to be long enough and consistent enough as the shutter slit travels across the sensor. The link above to the wiki should explain it better.

Also, if you're shooting outside and you have a natural background and area around the subject that receives no light from the strobe, you can often cheat the shutter speed another 1/3 or 2/3 of a stop. This would normally result in a black line of underexposure in an image illuminated only by strobe, but because of the ambient light you wouldn't necessarily notice the missing strobe exposure in part of the image not occupied by the strobe illuminated subject...

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:15 PM
Jeff
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 1DMkIV or ???

Tom Robinson wrote:
Still wanting to hear from anyone who has made prints ......Anyone

The 1D MkIII would be more than sufficient for T&I portraits printed at 8x10. I've owned the MkIII since it was released, and it's a great camera for this sort of thing. For action if you are cropping away half the pixels for reach, you might start running into problems at 8x10 unless the file is perfect. I've routinely made (uncropped) 12x18 portrait prints that stand up to arm's length scrutiny; don't worry about the file quality, it's there.

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:59 PM
Yakim Peled
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 1DMkIV or ???

CSStevens wrote:
By "good" copy he's probably referring to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EOS-1D_Mark_III#Problems

Exactly.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Aug 23, 2012 at 04:38 AM
Tom Robinson
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 1DMkIV or ???

Wow. I appreciate all the input.

Imagemaster and rscheffler
I have a like new 1D classic that I originally bought for gymnastics meets, which is something I no longer shoot, that has been sitting on the shelf for years. But I can’t get the thing to work tethered to Windows XP Pro or Windows 7-64bit. Believe me I wanted to try this. Not sure if my Darkroom software would work with the Canon raw files but and excellent thought. Thanks for the recommendation.
As far as Pocketwizards go, I have a love/hate relationship with them. I have PW TT5’s and MC2s for Einstein’s that I have played with, gotten up to 1/400th on the 40D’s, but those TT5’s always seem to work for me in testing and bite me hard when I go to use them on a job. I can’t trust em. Are you pushing the 1/640th on the MkIV with the use of the TT1? Are you using off camera flash? What flashes? And how reliable are your results?
I’ve been getting 1/320th using Radio IVi with the Quantum T flashes and no fancy timing manipulations necessary. I‘d be happy if I can get that with a MkIV or even the 5D3.

pKai For my shooting focus on the eyes is critical. My 40D’s have basically the same setup as the 5D2, 9 point focus which requires focus / recompose / shoot and it’s what is driving me crazy and the one main reason for doing the upgrade to begin with. I’m sure you’re right about the file quality. I’ve even thought maybe the 7D with 19 points would fill the bill.

Jeff Ok I guess I should look at the 1DIII to save some money. But in your experience and taking my requirements for the workflow would you choose IQ of the 1DIII over say a 7D for portraits?

Aug 23, 2012 at 10:56 AM
Daboyle
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 1DMkIV or ???

1d3 from a business standpoint. Pulled mine out yesterday and shot with it, and then with the 1d4. AF is pretty close honestly and the IQ of the Mk3 is quite amazing given the age of the camera and the price it goes for. Unless you NEED high ISO over 2500, more resolution and a better screen - then pick up a 1d3. 5d2 is crap AF, don't even consider it, even if the IQ is incredible. 7D is a good camera and people have had a lot of good results with it, so that is def worth throwing into the mix, esp given the nature of your photography - but the 1d3 AF and build are in another category.

The AF issue is highly over exaggerated. While it was indeed a real problem, it was fixed by cannon ( white dot MK3 ), and some bodies never even had the issue. Most people who talk about it are those who havent ever owned one and are just worried. I own a 1d3 white dot fix camera and love it.

Aug 23, 2012 at 12:29 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 1DMkIV or ???

If 10mp is not an issue for you (print and cropping), then a used 1d3 at under $1400 is a good buy.

Aug 23, 2012 at 12:32 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.