FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Portable lighting

StowePhoto
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Portable lighting

Forgive me if this topic has been discussed before. I am looking to invest in a good off camera lighting system that I can use for weddings, as well as some commercial work.

I was hoping those with experience could point me in a direction I should be looking in. Portability is important as is ease of setup and use.

An itemized list of what you use and why would be so helpful.

I have limited experience with off camera lighting, so if you know of a great resource to learn I would be grateful for any advise.

Thank you-

Aug 22, 2012 at 09:54 AM
sboerup
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Portable lighting

Einstein flash - by far the most versatile full featured strobe out there (and arguably the best) - http://www.paulcbuff.com/e640.php

Vagabond Mini - portable battery power supply. This is the greatest photography invention since 2005, IMO. http://www.paulcbuff.com/vm120.php

Add a modifier and radio transmitters and you are set.

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:20 AM
joosay
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Portable lighting

+1 for einsteins. I use the pocket wizard receiver made for einsteins.

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:43 AM
SloPhoto
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Portable lighting

The VML (vagabond mini) is 10000 kinds of awesome. (I use it with my old ab flashes)

That combo plus a JRx trigger set (or the new cybersyncs) is amazingly nice. (wireless power adjustment)

Aug 22, 2012 at 12:15 PM
derbarrett
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Portable lighting

+2 for einsteins!!

Aug 22, 2012 at 12:35 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Portable lighting

I like my Profoto AcuteB2 600 Air, but it's hard to argue against the value of the Einstein and the Vagabond Mini

Aug 22, 2012 at 01:04 PM
Jon-Mark
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Portable lighting

+1 to Einstein + Vagabond. Just know that you can't use RadioPopper JRx radio triggers with them unfortunately.

Aug 22, 2012 at 01:39 PM
whtrbt7
• •
[X]
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Portable lighting

I think for higher end lighting, the Einstein + Vagabond + Cybersyncs are awesome. They are heavier and more cumbersome than speedlites however. If you're shooting weddings and need to hand-carry stuff, speedlites are much more mobile but if you can afford and have others carry equipment, the Paul C Buff stuff is about the best there is out there.

Aug 22, 2012 at 02:05 PM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Portable lighting

I just use 3-4 speedlights triggered by pocket wizards on stands. Light & easy to pack around.

Aug 22, 2012 at 02:10 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Portable lighting

High-end stuff...? Dude, it's barely more than the cost of a single Speedlite, and probably works out to the same cost once you figure in wireless doodads. You funny.

Aug 22, 2012 at 02:11 PM
whtrbt7
• •
[X]
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Portable lighting

Hey, I make my own tri-flash mounts =D. I consider PCB stuff pretty high end because the cost of a complete system is much more than my typical YNG system setup. I'm pretty cheap when it comes to lighting and I've even run 300W work lights as continuous lights before. That's a $30 light that does the job of a $600+ professional continuous. It's not that lighting isn't important to me, it's just that stuff gets broken all the time and a $30 300W worklamp or a $35 YNG can be kicked around without breaking the bank. I also spend time making custom soft boxes and light strips on the cheap for the same reason. Hell, I carry a bolt of aluminum foil for a reflector lol.

Aug 22, 2012 at 02:32 PM
StowePhoto
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Portable lighting

The Einstein's look nice. Portable, powerful and most important simple.

Could someone list exactly what they carry on site so I can get an idea of what people's kit consists of: flash head / stand / powerpack / transmitters / softeners / other important accessories.

Thank you! I am getting an idea of what I need but still what like to know what you have found to be the perfect setup.

Aug 23, 2012 at 10:12 AM
dmward
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Portable lighting

Einstein (2); Cyber Sync module (3); Cyber Commander (1); Cyber Sync Trigger (2); VML (2); spare batteries (2); 10 or 12 foot Calumet Stand (2); Medium PLM(s) (3).

The lights and associated Cyber Sync and VMLs all fit into a Calumet rolling camera case. The smaller of the two they currently offer is the same size as the older model I have. The stands and PLMs fit into a Calumet equipment bag, I think its about 38" long. That includes the PLM center mounting adapters. Not overly heavy and if its the only lighting I'm taking its easy to move around packed up. Front diffusion panels for the silver PLMs and spill kill panel for the shoot through.

Lately I've tended to leave this in the car and use 600EX-RTs at the reception. The monolight kit gets pulled out for large groups in church or reception. And its my go to kit for location portraits, headshots and product shooting.

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:06 AM
paparazzinick
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Portable lighting

grab a few speedlites, radiopopper jr and some cheeta stands. Cheap, light, quick and easy to setup. Works great too.

Aug 23, 2012 at 12:10 PM
vtec44
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Portable lighting

I have a few YN560's and Pocket Wizard Plus3's. They work very well even in full sun but of course do not have the same power and consistency of studio lighting. Although, it's much easier to carry and move them around especially for live events.

Aug 23, 2012 at 12:31 PM
Finklenator

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Portable lighting

I use 2 AB 1600's(cheaper than Einsteins and don't mind if they get banged up much at weddings), 2 vagabond minis, 2-60 inch umbrellas ( I prefer umbrellas for ease of setting up when time is of the essence) and sand bags (lights turn into sails when umbrellas are attached).

Aug 23, 2012 at 01:22 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.