Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · This is why you never give your work for free

Fish On
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · This is why you never give your work for free

Even though this happened to a wedding photographer, it is still an interesting read on why you never undervalue or give your work for free.

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/08/21/this-photograph-earned-one-wedding-photographer-a-18000-payday/

Aug 22, 2012 at 02:00 AM
lhryshko
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · This is why you never give your work for free

$18K? Wow! IMHO, it's not even a great image although I guess it tells the right story for Big Pharma. However, I'd view this as more of a lottery win for the photographer rather than justification for why you shouldn't undervalue or give your work away for free. There are plenty of good reasons for avoiding that.

Aug 22, 2012 at 02:41 AM
innaeddy1
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · This is why you never give your work for free

whats even a better read is the comments, some/most people just dont understand the industry. congrats to the photographer.

Andy

Aug 22, 2012 at 04:06 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · This is why you never give your work for free

Fish On wrote:
Even though this happened to a wedding photographer, it is still an interesting read on why you never undervalue or give your work for free.

http://www.petapixel.com/2012/08/21/this-photograph-earned-one-wedding-photographer-a-18000-payday/

interesting but I wouldn't think a standard wedding shoot contract would allow for that, but I guess he had some absolute utter and total rights to images clause?

Aug 22, 2012 at 05:32 AM
PShizzy
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · This is why you never give your work for free

Guys, here's the most important part of the article, in my opinon:

His request was spotted by wedding photographer and photo business blogger John Mireles (AKA The Photographer’s Business Coach), who advised him to find out five aspects of how the agency intended to use the photo: the size of the reproduction, the nature of the publication, the geographical area, the duration of use, and the exclusivity of the use.

Having an opinion on whether that image was worthy or not of its asking price is one thing, but you're missing the point entirely. The point is that those five aspects were what the image was valued for.

Honestly, pretty much any photo the client wanted would have rendered an 18,000 payday, because of those five criteria. They didn't say "oh well we like it twice as much as this guy's $9,000 photo, so give him 18!".

Max

Aug 22, 2012 at 04:56 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password