Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Handheld softbox monopod

Smridevan
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Handheld softbox monopod

Anyone have a recommendation for a good handheld softbox monopod? I needed to hold the cheetah 24" softbox. I can't seem to find one on the web. Do they not make one specifically for holding a softbox?

Aug 22, 2012 at 01:44 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Handheld softbox monopod

Smridevan wrote:
Anyone have a recommendation for a good handheld softbox monopod? ...Do they not make one specifically for holding a softbox?

Not that I know of, because there's no real difference at the "business end" between a monopod and a light stand.

Some people use painters' poles with adapters on them, others use purpose-built light sticks. Here are some links to peruse:

http://www.kaceyenterprises.com/?page_id=447

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?sku=740942&Q=&O=&is=REG&A=details

http://www.lastolite.com/extending-handles.php

Aug 22, 2012 at 02:07 AM
Smridevan
• •
p.1 #3 · Handheld softbox monopod

Thanks Brian! Just what I was looking for.

Aug 22, 2012 at 03:58 AM
Ho1972
• • •
p.1 #4 · Handheld softbox monopod

BrianO wrote:
...there's no real difference at the "business end" between a monopod and a light stand.

Yours must look different than mine.

Instead of spending $$, spend $3.59 (plus shipping) on this to convert your monopod into something you can clamp your Cheetah to. Order two or more, they come in handy for a number of things (such as attaching to one of these).

Aug 22, 2012 at 08:22 AM
onetrack
• •
p.1 #5 · Handheld softbox monopod

I purchased a lightstand specifically to do lighting outdoors. I removed the legs.

Advantages: Air cushion, longer reach if needed, collapses to a smaller size than trying to use a painter's stick.

I also clamp a Buff Mini Lithium a few inches from the bottom.

Aug 22, 2012 at 12:39 PM
sic0048
• •
p.1 #6 · Handheld softbox monopod

You can get the Kacey Pole Adapter from MPex for $18.99. But expect it to come pretty scratched up. It doesn't effect the usability of the device, but it won't look like the nice pictures either. (I think they must have thrown them all in a big bin and rolled it down the street).

I have one and use it with a heavy duty painters pole. It works great. I even put a piece of pipe insulation on the painters pole to cushion it a little. I assume it would make holding the pole a little easier on the hands.

Aug 22, 2012 at 01:52 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Handheld softbox monopod

BrianO wrote:
...there's no real difference at the "business end" between a monopod and a light stand.

Ho1972 wrote:
Yours must look different than mine.

I'm refering to a lighting monopod (AKA light stick, hand-held boom arm), not a camera monopod.

Aug 22, 2012 at 07:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Scott Clark
• • •
p.1 #8 · Handheld softbox monopod

If you already have a camera monopod, that works fine too. Just put a spigot on top, and you can mount an umbrella bracket or whatever to it. I've got a decent Manfroto monopod I've done this with a few times. It's not an ideal solution, but since I already have one it's free and works great for a lot of things.

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:20 PM
Smridevan
• •
p.1 #9 · Handheld softbox monopod

I don't have a monopod so I'm leaning towards gettig a dedicated light stick like the elichrom or lasolite handle in the links above. They're about the same price. A painter pole might not be as practical in carrying it around or for travel.

Aug 23, 2012 at 12:44 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Handheld softbox monopod

we use a painter's pole and it works great. We put the pole and an elinchrom bxri 500 and a 39" deep octa at the business end. When we move to another location, one of us carries the whole thing slung over our shoulder, hobo-style. Works very well and the pole gets way taller than a monopod which is nice if you are shooting someone up on stairs. The lightstand without the legs idea is intriguing. It'd be cool if you could take the legs with you and optionally use them if it's not too windy

Aug 23, 2012 at 01:41 PM
Jon Uhler
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Handheld softbox monopod

Save you money and use a painters pole as mentioned....works like a champ....

Untitled by battlefloydflyer, on Flickr

Aug 23, 2012 at 06:12 PM
jjasef

p.1 #12 · Handheld softbox monopod

Agreed with Jon ^: a painter's pole is the cheapest yet as versatile solution. Here's a post 2 years ago with a BTS scene look of a Softlighter and AB800 on a painter's pole from Home Depot:

http://jcasasphotography.posterous.com/2010/06/bts-photoshoot-breaking-glass-ceiling.html

You can find the results under "Loon and Culie" [at the very bottom]:
http://jcasasphotography.com/43642/595571/the-portfolio/commercial

Aug 25, 2012 at 03:52 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Handheld softbox monopod

jzucker wrote:
It'd be cool if you could take the legs with you and optionally use them if it's not too windy

All of my lightstands ... the legs fold flat for storage. Just extend only the sections, and not the legs. Although if you slightly open/unfold the legs, you can brace your forearm against them for some extra support/leverage as well when holding out boom style. Otherwise, just leave them folded closed.

I've got a very nice painter's pole as well (planned to use) ... but haven't been compelled to use it yet ... using my lightstands only so far.

Aug 25, 2012 at 07:38 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password