Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · thoughts on first kiss compositions

mccallmedia
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · thoughts on first kiss compositions

I'm struggling to find a strategy I'm happy with for the first kiss shot at the alter. I'm wondering if anyone might be willing to share what they typically do for this shot when they are the only shooter with no restrictions on where they can shoot from.

I typically shoot from the aisle close to the front rows and frame a pretty tight shot. The officiant is practically always in the background. Of course visually I don't like the officiant being there but it seems important for the context of the photo or else it could look like a posed portrait.

I'm considering shooting farther back and getting some of the audience/wedding party in the shot but I guess I'm not ballsy enough to try it as I've done a tighter shot every wedding and the clients have always been happy with the shot that way. I think it might be more ideal because sometimes the groom seems so forceful that you end up with smashed together faces that doesn't exactly look great in a tight shot.

Another idea is to take my 70-200 and stand back a ways in the aisle to get a shot at 70 and zoom in super quick to grab a tight shot as well. I'm afraid of error and I'm trying to get away from using the 70-200 during ceremony in favor of my 85mm prime.

The last wedding I shot the couple asked if I could shoot from behind them with the audience in the background. I took it at 35mm and it turned out awesome. I'm tempted to bring that idea up to clients during consultation/planning in the future.

Aug 21, 2012 at 08:52 PM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · thoughts on first kiss compositions

Personally, I don't mind having a wide shot of the first kiss. As you said, the priest is usually right behind them, which sort of sucks for a tight shot. Every wedding is different though. Some outdoor weddings I can get a good shot from behind. Sometimes in a huge church I play it more safe and get the 'standard' shot, which is fine.

Aug 21, 2012 at 09:06 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · thoughts on first kiss compositions

I usually prep them and remind them to kiss a long time... and maybe do it twice. Then just do your best.

Aug 21, 2012 at 09:12 PM
mccallmedia
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · thoughts on first kiss compositions

Robin Usagani wrote:
I usually prep them and remind them to kiss a long time... and maybe do it twice. Then just do your best.

I tell them the same too. I also rarely sell large prints of kiss shots. I'm wondering if that's pretty typical? I think I'm going to try a wide shot at my wedding this weekend. The more I think about it the more it makes sense.

Aug 21, 2012 at 11:25 PM
BGP1
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · thoughts on first kiss compositions

I have started asking the officiant before hand if they can try to remember to step two steps to the left or right when they announce the first kiss and I tell them pretty much it's because it looks better in pictures.

Aug 22, 2012 at 01:14 AM
Greggbhill
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · thoughts on first kiss compositions

BGP1 wrote:
I have started asking the officiant before hand if they can try to remember to step two steps to the left or right when they announce the first kiss and I tell them pretty much it's because it looks better in pictures.

I did this at my last 2 - both officiants were super cool about it... But one forgot in the heat of the moment.

Aug 22, 2012 at 01:20 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · thoughts on first kiss compositions

You know, you could just take a step or two to the left/right so the officiant isn't in between heads if you want. Well, depending on how close they are...

Aug 22, 2012 at 01:33 AM
KibblesNbitz
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · thoughts on first kiss compositions

^ Thats what I usually do. Like Kurtis said though, it really depends on the venue and how far you are away from the bridge and groom if it'll work...

Like so:

Aug 22, 2012 at 03:09 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

mccallmedia
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · thoughts on first kiss compositions

KibblesNbitz wrote:
^ Thats what I usually do. Like Kurtis said though, it really depends on the venue and how far you are away from the bridge and groom if it'll work...

Like so:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8424/7835589008_012d3f9ab5_z.jpg

I have stepped to the side before like so. It actually was almost bad, because as they kissed they turned some and from that angle I would have gotten mostly the back of the groom's head and barely the side of the bride's face. Luckily they kissed twice and by the second one I had rushed to the other side of the aisle and got a better angle. I like the idea of talking to the officiant first about stepping back. Hadn't thought of that.

Aug 22, 2012 at 03:28 AM
Marcus Watts
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · thoughts on first kiss compositions

Ask the couple before hand when they kiss to make sure the brides nose is camera side. Her profile is usually much nicer than his.

Not always possible but can be worth a mention.

Aug 22, 2012 at 04:49 AM
TTLKurtis
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · thoughts on first kiss compositions

Marcus Watts wrote:
Ask the couple before hand when they kiss to make sure the brides nose is camera side. Her profile is usually much nicer than his.

Not always possible but can be worth a mention.

In all honesty, do you want them -thinking- about anything when they're going to kiss? I don't want to tell my couples a damn thing other than maybe hey, don't be shy and peck on the cheek for a microsecond.

Aug 22, 2012 at 04:55 AM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · thoughts on first kiss compositions

Easy.. only shoot tall couples... or tell them to hire short officiant.

http://usagani.com/img/s3/v39/p675269604.jpg

Aug 22, 2012 at 04:57 AM
mccallmedia
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · thoughts on first kiss compositions

I would feel out of place to ask the couple to do anything for the kiss. I like the idea of asking the officiant to stand a little to the side the best.

Aug 22, 2012 at 04:59 AM
Marcus Watts
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · thoughts on first kiss compositions

Yes, clearly you don't want to make it bigger than it needs to be but a little direction if it strengthens the shot then why not.

You could mention it before the day, if they forget no deal and if they remember it's just not that complicated to confuse what's going on.

And what girl is not thinking of 50 or more other things while she is kissing at any time.

Aug 22, 2012 at 04:59 AM
mccallmedia
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · thoughts on first kiss compositions

Robin Usagani wrote:
Easy.. only shoot tall couples... or tell them to hire short officiant.

http://usagani.com/img/s3/v39/p675269604.jpg

An outdoor wedding in the snow? That is awesome. Great shot too. That's a great composition with the MOH, best man and a couple family member in the frame.

Aug 22, 2012 at 08:55 AM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · thoughts on first kiss compositions

Interesting. I've never given instructions to a couple for anything concerning the ceremony....or any other part of the day for that matter. Other than portraits I want them to do their thing the same way they would do it if I wasn't there.

As far as the officiant is concerned I position myself as best I can and take what I can get. In this particular instance I don't think the shot would have been as interesting if the priest wasn't in it.

http://www.alanabramsphotography.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/guisela_luis_187.jpg

Aug 22, 2012 at 05:24 PM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password