Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · single light modifier: silver or white beauty dish

jolson72
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · single light modifier: silver or white beauty dish

Re-posting from the people forum:

I live on the Oregon Coast where there is a lot of constant wind, so large umbrellas and softboxes aren't the best option. I have Einstein heads and a battery, and am looking for a single portable modifier. I am looking at the Paul C Buff / Alien Bees beauty dishes..... would you recommend the silver or white beauty dish?

How about the grids? 15 or 30 degree useful? Thanks for any tips, ideas, images.

Aug 21, 2012 at 06:38 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · single light modifier: silver or white beauty dish

Silver can give a "snappier" look, often appropriate for outdoor shots, and you can use a white diffusion sock over it if you need something with less pop, so I'd suggest silver. YMMV.

Aug 21, 2012 at 06:43 PM
colinm
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · single light modifier: silver or white beauty dish

How much versatility do you need? Are you primarily looking for a single modifier specifically for your outdoor shooting, or are you looking for something more generalized?

If the former I'd agree with Brian for the reasons he mentioned. It'll generally look great where there's sun, even when it's behind those PacNW clouds.

If the latter, the white will tend to be more versatile. White dishes have a much wider native beam spread, and the dialed back contrast of an unmodified white dish lets you use it where you wouldn't necessarily want even a socked silver. But YMMV.

Aug 21, 2012 at 10:24 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password