Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Nikkor 5*mm f1.2 question

jamach
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikkor 5*mm f1.2 question

I checked out the pricing on the 50mm f1.2's on ebay and saw the pricing of the 'Nocturnal' to be in the thousands. What makes it worth so much money? Does it outperform the other variations of the 50's ?

I was pleased to see that I would be able to afford the 50mm f1.8ais however...

Thanks

Joe

Aug 21, 2012 at 06:32 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikkor 5*mm f1.2 question

The Noct does extremely well in dark scenes with points of light, the others not so much, in my experience.

I love my 55mm 1.2 S.C, but one day I will own the Noct. One day...

I also have the AIS pankake-ish 50mm 1.8. I would say it is OK...pretty much the same as the 50mm 1.8AFD.

If you are looking for a low cost manual focus 50mm, look no further than the 50mm f2 AIS. They are around $75 on KEH and it is one of my sharpest lenses, even wide open. Bokeh is nice too.

This is with the f2 wide open pretty much SOOC, also posted it in the manual focus thread (speaking of which, I should start hanging out there):

Aug 21, 2012 at 06:52 PM
eSchwab
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikkor 5*mm f1.2 question

I've heard mixed reviews on the 58mm noct. I tried the 50mm 1.2 and didn't like it. I owned a 55mm 1.2 and loved it. Good sharpness wide open and beautiful bokeh.

Aug 21, 2012 at 07:12 PM
ryankarr
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikkor 5*mm f1.2 question

If your shot isn't sharp with a Noct, you're doing something wrong.

Aug 21, 2012 at 08:51 PM
philipj
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Nikkor 5*mm f1.2 question

The Noct-NIKKOR has a hand-ground aspherical element, and was made in relatively limited quantities compared to the plain 50mm f/1.2.

Aug 21, 2012 at 09:36 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Nikkor 5*mm f1.2 question

Dylan is right about the 50 f/2 being the best value for money I bought a 50 f/2 H-C AI'd two weeks ago on E-bay for $52. It is in MINT condition. I also bought an EX early 50 f/1.8 AI-s, the long nose, for $46. Here are the five 50mm lenses now in my kit. I took this shot a few minutes ago with the 105 f/1.8 AI-s

55 f/1.2 S-C AI'd, 50 f/1.2 AI-s, 50 f/1.8 AI-s, 50 f/1.4 S AI'd, 50 f/2 H-C AI'd

The 55 was the first AI'd lens I added to my kit and that prompted me to buy the other two. I haven't spent a great deal of time with either so I can't comment on their performance but Bjorn is a big fan of the f/2. I will say, however, that the 55 is the most enjoyable lens to use. I'm a bit enamored at the moment with the knurled focusing rings on these older lenses. But I had last edition AI copy of the 55 f/1.2 and it is a wonderful lens as well. The 55 produces a slightly smoother bokeh than the 50 f/1.2 when used wide open.

With regard to the classic NOCT, it does one thing remarkably well and that is render points of light beautifully in a darkened scene. If that is something critical to your photography, this may be the lens to buy. But frankly, it seems like a great deal of money to spend for such a fast lens when there are alternatives available at a tenth the cost. If you have unlimited resources no problem buying a lens like this if only for the cachet. It is difficult to believe one needs a $3,000 lens to take a sharp photo and with modern sensor technology and processing software the speed of the lens is almost irrelevant. So if you're shooting at night and want to avoid coma in the corners while producing brilliant points of light, the NOCT is the way to go. Otherwise if I were building a kit of MF lenses, I'd likely start with an f/2 and keep my eye out for a clean copy of the 55 f/1.2 with a serial number above 400xxx. Trying to find an S-C with the Nikon AI conversion kit is like looking for a needle in a haystack... Luckily I found a mint copy at a great price... but that was dumb luck.

Aug 21, 2012 at 09:40 PM
jamach
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Nikkor 5*mm f1.2 question

great looking set of lenses!

Thanks for the knowledgeable advice, Curtis and everyone, I will be getting the f2, to start my collection.

And I will remember the serial number and 55mm

Joe

Aug 21, 2012 at 11:03 PM
DTOB
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Nikkor 5*mm f1.2 question

Since Curtis is showing off his fitties, I figured I'd offer up a look at mine.

Sigma for size comparison, Nikkor-S.C 55mm f1.2, 50mm f1.8 AIS and my 50mm f2 AIS.

I got the f2 for $50 at a local shop...it is the smoothest of the 2 with respect to focusing. I love it, but the 1.2 gets far more action.

Out of curiosity Curtis, what did you pay for your S.C? We got ours within weeks of each other....what is the serial number of yours?

Aug 22, 2012 at 12:12 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Nikkor 5*mm f1.2 question

$375... I see you have the Nikon AI conversion on your lens Dylan, which is definitely sweet. And you have the AI version of the f/2. I really am looking forward to shooting with the f/2.

And for the record, were I to be adding an AF 50 to my kit it would be the Sigma. But I just can't handle AF any longer. Of course, I'm retired so I have plenty of time to turn the focusing ring...

Aug 22, 2012 at 01:18 AM
DTOB
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Nikkor 5*mm f1.2 question

That is a nice price. Mine is a bit of a beater, one mark on the front element. But at $300 I can't complain.

The Sigma is great, but it does get a lot less use these days. Shooting events makes it a necessity for me.

What's your serial? Unless that is a trade secret...

Aug 22, 2012 at 01:37 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password