New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Paul C Buff Cyber Commander

SBMphotography
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Paul C Buff Cyber Commander

Hello my name is Steve I am using Paul C Buff Cyber Commanders with einstein lights, I cannot seem to save pre-set groups that have my varied lighting setups, and tech support and the manual did not seem to provide an answer.

Can anyone help me out?

Aug 21, 2012 at 01:10 PM
jolson72
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Paul C Buff Cyber Commander

I thought the cyber commander was difficult and non-intuitive, so I sold it! Using the Einsteins in manual now, which seems much easier.

Don't know if this helps, but it is what I found.................

Aug 21, 2012 at 05:54 PM
derbarrett
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Paul C Buff Cyber Commander

jolson72 wrote:
I thought the cyber commander was difficult and non-intuitive, so I sold it! Using the Einsteins in manual now, which seems much easier.

Don't know if this helps, but it is what I found.................

I agree 100%. Not very intuitive at all. My cyber commander sits on the shelf at home and I just control in manual as well.

Aug 22, 2012 at 09:36 AM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Paul C Buff Cyber Commander

I will share a page with you that seems to go more in depth than the manual.

I found it easier to understand a while back when the CC came out. I hope this helps.

http://glamourphotography.co/gear/paul-c-buff-cyber-commander-cybersync-initial-set-up/

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:36 AM
onetrack
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Paul C Buff Cyber Commander

Yes, it's obvious that the user interface was written by an engineer.

But, once you learn it, it's tolerable and has some great features. Still, a new user interface would make it easier to use and to read.

Just call them, they will talk you through it.

I save my setup so that it remembers which lights are out there and to save the modeling light calibrations.

Aug 24, 2012 at 11:45 AM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Paul C Buff Cyber Commander

You do have to read the manual, but once you see how the system works, it's logical enough. It's not "intuitive," but it is logical. Frankly, I don't think "intuitive" has much meaning beyond "being accustomed to a certain pattern of logic." I don't consider Macs particularly "intuitive."

One thing to be aware of is that almost nobody has to do everything the CyberCommander is capable of doing. For instance, there is no need for most people to save multiple sets of light configurations. That's probably useful for someone who works in a studio in which all setups are fully calibrated from studio through printing...but most people don't need it.

Once you determine what set of capabilities you want your system set up to do (that's what takes reading the manual), it's easy enough to get there.

My only complaint about the CyberCommander is that the display is uncomfortably small for us old guys who need reading glasses. The old Radio Remote 1 (which the CyberCommander replaced) was the size of a big cable TV remote control, with buttons big enough to manipulate with winter gloves and a display big enough to see from across the studio.

Aug 26, 2012 at 11:05 AM
whitewash

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Paul C Buff Cyber Commander

Agree with RDKirk (except about the display, fine for me since I'm near-sighted). Just got mine and I'm not using it for pre-set groups like Steve wants to, but loving everything it does for me (flash meter, colorimeter, control of all my lights from camera position) and looking forward to setting up my next event shoot with it in a couple weeks. As to your question, Steve, I'm no expert, but I'm thinking maybe a card issue. Is the MicroSD card in your CC? Is it a 2GB card or smaller? The CC won't read SDHC cards.

Aug 28, 2012 at 01:41 AM
cordellwillis
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Paul C Buff Cyber Commander

RDKirk wrote:
I don't consider Macs particularly "intuitive."

Amen to that!

Aug 30, 2012 at 05:06 PM
hondageek
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Paul C Buff Cyber Commander

I love the CC. I use it virtually every day in my studio, and on location. The only criticism I have is that the micro SD cards seem to corrupt very easily (not a CC issue) and I'd like to have an option to have it not display the non-active channels. It would be much quicker to use if I didn't have to scroll through 16 channels to get to my groups if I'm only using 4-6 channels.

Sep 02, 2012 at 01:40 PM
hondageek
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Paul C Buff Cyber Commander

one more thing: make sure your firmware is up to date. I think version 40 is the newest.

Sep 02, 2012 at 01:41 PM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Paul C Buff Cyber Commander

and I'd like to have an option to have it not display the non-active channels. It would be much quicker to use if I didn't have to scroll through 16 channels to get to my groups if I'm only using 4-6 channels.

If full display customization isn't possible in the hardware or firmware, I think it would make more sense to display half as many channels (twice as wide) and scroll to a second page rather than have all 16 channels squeezed into one display.

Not many people are going to be using 16 lights.

But as it is, it's still more versatile than anything else at any price, although I don't know much about using the Pocketwizard Power MC2 receiver designed for the Einstein.

Sep 02, 2012 at 03:01 PM
FestivalFoto

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Paul C Buff Cyber Commander

Group,

I am considering purchasing a remote flash control system for PCB's Einstein and Alien Bee flashes. Before I do, can anybody provide an opinion regarding the Cyber Commander vs Pocketwizard?
I am looking for reviews / comments on: ease of use, range, functionality, reliability, how easy they are to program, problems, would you buy it again, why did you stop using it, etc. Thanks in advance.

Sep 03, 2012 at 08:23 PM
RDKirk
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Paul C Buff Cyber Commander

The Pocketwizard Power MC2 is only for Einstein, not Alien Bees, btw.

Sep 03, 2012 at 09:11 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.